TD looking to fit Corey Simon under the cap

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really think so? I think that if the Bills picked up Simon, it would be a tacit admission that they don't think they could hang on to Clements. We don't know the conversations. One thing I'll give the NFL, they are usually better at OPSEC than the DoD. How many times have we been surprised?

Then again, we're all probably collectively pretty stupid, too.

403223[/snapback]

DOD... OPSEC?

uh huh, that has a $#%$ load to do with this...

But... OH I am so impressed!

OK, to the sane ones out there... this is WAY to much to spend on D

with the state of our O line. Unless TD sees a MAJOR weakness on the line.

DOD... OPSEC?

403313[/snapback]

It's called an "analogy". Somewhat tongue in cheek, as well.

Teams are pretty well closed lipped about what they are up to. If they weren't, we wouldn't be speculating on moves they probably won't make.

Generally, I hope the Bills pay as much attention to you as I do.

DOD... OPSEC?

403313[/snapback]

I don't ever think you can spend enough on a good defense, especilly on the dline. Obviousily the patriots, jets,dolphins, the carolina panthers, the eagles, the buccaneers, etc etc etc. would probably agree with my assessment. Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson have proved a lot of nothing. Edwards might turn out to be good, but if he's good what kind of money will he want after this season when his contract runs out? How much longer will Adams be able to retain form, or play in general. Outside of 30+ year old Adam, Ron Edwards who's been an underachiever, and Tim Anderson who's shown nothing yet what depth do we have at defensive tackle? We're not set there by any means, and as someone pointed out in an earlier post, next year isn't going to be a good year for defensive tackles, however it's a rich draft for left tackles. Trading for simon would improve our overall depth at dt, help our de's and lb's even more and keep edwards in a reserve role, where he'll still see 50+% of the overall snaps and pretty much ensure our defense stays very good.

If there was a good lt out there for trade now than yeah trading for simon when we could get a legit lt wouldn't make sense. However there isn't. No good lt's are getting cut anytime soon, there's no great would be lt waiting in the wings in free agency. It's gandy for this year, and most likely a draftee next year. However someone who could improve our starting defense, and depth is available for trade, why not jump on it?

Anyone have ESPN Insider?  They got an update saying that the Bills are denying the rumor.

403307[/snapback]

Bills deny Simon rumors

<Aug. 6> Bills GM Tom Donahoe denied earlier reports that Buffalo is interested in Simon, the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

Simon, who was designated as the team's franchise player, is looking for a long-term deal and has refused to sign the one-year qualifying offer that comes with the designation. He is currently holding out from training camp.

Probably the most important vote in whether or not the Bills are interested in Simon is the vote of Tim Krumrie.

If Tim wants him, he'll push for getting him. It's Krumrie's line and Simon will be his player and the coach don't like no softy-lazy-boy-take-one-play-outta-three-off-'cause-I-bees-tired-boss kind of guys rasslin' with him.

Bottom line: If Krumrie thinks he can pin him - he's not interested.

Probably the most important vote in whether or not the Bills are interested in Simon is the vote of Tim Krumrie.

If Tim wants him, he'll push for getting him. It's Krumrie's line and Simon will be his player and the coach don't like no softy-lazy-boy-take-one-play-outta-three-off-'cause-I-bees-tired-boss kind of guys rasslin' with him.

Bottom line: If Krumrie thinks he can pin him - he's not interested.

But the REAL question is, has (Corey, just so that there's no further confusion :( ) Simon passed the wrestling/hand-fighting drill with Krumrie yet?

Great post. How do people think 3/4 of Philly's DB's made it to the Pro Bowl? Does anyone remember the 1st play from scrimmage against the Eagles 2 years ago? That was Simon who picked up Puccillo and threw him on top of Bledsoe. The best physical play on D I've ever seen in my life. This guy is a beast and I'd give a 1st for him.

403259[/snapback]

That play was the exact moment when most of us gave up on Pucillo...

You really think so? I think that if the Bills picked up Simon, it would be a tacit admission that they don't think they could hang on to Clements. We don't know the conversations. One thing I'll give the NFL, they are usually better at OPSEC than the DoD. How many times have we been surprised?

Then again, we're all probably collectively pretty stupid, too.

403223[/snapback]

I will confess, I am not all that sure of who the Bills unrestricted free agents are at the conclusion of this season (except Clements), but I honestly think if TD wants to obtain Simon, and keep Clements, he will do it. Like you say, collectively, we are pretty stupid, but how many times have we all said "how the fug do the Redskins, or the Jets, keep finding cap space to sign all of these guys?" The Bills are in good shape, and will likely be able to trim some fat off somewhere, if they want them both. Like I said though, I wouldn't do it, if it meant signing Clements would be impossible. I just think that this season, this team is going to only go as far as McGahee's legs, and our defense can take it. I think TD is also aware that his reputation is at stake. I think he is hell bent on making this defense into one of those all-time great defenses (like the 85 Bears, and the Super Bowl Ravens). This team really can't afford to write off another season. They really need to make the playoffs. While they are taking an educated gamble with Losman and the offense, they really can't afford for their defense to slip back with the pack.

It seems that a lot of folks are writing off Simon, and I am not sure exactly why. Buffalo defenses have been stellar when they have a formidable duo in the middle. Rmemeber what a monster defense we had when Ted Washington and Pat Williams were together? Nobody could run on those defenses. Look how long it took to find a replacement for Washington...

Oh yeah, what exactly do OPSEC and DoD stand for? :(

But the REAL question is, has (Corey, just so that there's no further confusion :(  ) Simon passed the wrestling/hand-fighting drill with Krumrie yet?

I will whip that little monkey's bare red ass.

Oh yeah, what exactly do OPSEC and DoD stand for?

What are OPerational SECurity and Dept. of Defense, Alex

My opinion, a 2nd and 3rd plus the cap space is giving up too much for

an already solid defense.

403074[/snapback]

Sam Adams is getting old and towards the end of his contract, think long term, simon is 27,28 I think.

If we can get him for a decent price or even a little more than a decent price, I hope TD finds a way to get it done. This guy is a talent, that is why he has been franchised. He is a DT who can get to the quarterback. Is he a jerk? Yeah, probably but some of the best players we have ever had were, on a personal level, pretty jerky. In fact, some of the best players ever were idiots off the field. Dexter Manley, Lawrence Taylor...etc.

You add Corey Simon to that defense and it goes from "solid" to scary.

Here is all you need to know about Simon: 32 sacks and 8 forced fumbles in 5 years. That is not a typo, 32 sacks from a tackle. By contrast, Sam Adams has 39 sacks in 11 years and only 6 forced fumbles.

My opinion, a 2nd and 3rd plus the cap space is giving up too much for

an already solid defense.

403074[/snapback]

We also had a solid offense when we drafted some RB out of Miami named McGahee. If true, I think Donahoe is preparing for a time when we won't have Sam Adams and Vincent and Milloy to name a few key defenders who are on the wrong side of 30.

All this discussion may be moot since I don't think this rumour has any fact behind it.  Otherwise there would be other sources besides one suburban newspaper.

PTR

403633[/snapback]

Maybe so... but it is fun to imagine the possibility.....