Florida Panhandle shark attacks

all of that is happening about 2 hrs from here, its been all over the news...ts all these rednecks have been talking about the past few weeks...

altho with the first attack on the girl, she was out past the second sand bar, which is a good 100-150 yards offshore...why she was that far out is beyond me...

all of that is happening about 2 hrs from here, its been all over the news...ts all these rednecks have been talking about the past few weeks...

altho with the first attack on the girl, she was out past the second sand bar, which is a good 100-150 yards offshore...why she was that far out is beyond me...

372022[/snapback]

She could easily have been caught in a rip tide. A good undertow can pull you out very quickly and if you don't know that you have to swim parallel to the beach to get out of it and then back in, you can get into serious trouble. If it was low tide, you can go out a long way with the water not getting over your knees until you finally get where the waves are breaking.

She could easily have been caught in a rip tide.  A good undertow can pull you out very quickly and if you don't know that you have to swim parallel to the beach to get out of it and then back in, you can get into serious trouble.  If it was low tide, you can go out a long way with the water not getting over your knees until you finally get where the waves are breaking.

372034[/snapback]

yah i know...but no one here has mentioned anything about her getting caught in a riptide, thats why i was wondering...regarding the sand bar, the first one is about 40 yds or so offshore, and even at low tide, the water prolly gets about 9-10 feet deep before it shallows out to waist deep at the first bar...after that i dunno, never ventured that far offshore...

I'm heading to Long Beach Island, NJ in Aug. And I see they just had a surfer get attacked by a Great White June 9th. They should be gone by then as the water will be much warmer but I've caught sharks off the beach before. If people knew how many are actually out there nobody would probably swim. The odds are still pretty low that you would ever get bitten though.

Don't blame the sharksthough, they are just doing their thing.

Its a personal thing with me because I am both facinated and terrified by sharks.........

I always had a fascination growing up and believe it or not I was almost attacked by one while swimming drunk off the Hawaii coast as a young airmen (that is a long story)

Anyways.....I have reocurring dreams of my kids falling off of a boat in waters FILLED with Great White and Hammerhead Sharks.....

In my dreams I jump in and fight them off long enough for my kids to be saved......but they get me in the end.

I don't know about anyone else, but that shark is way to close to shore for me to be venturing into the water.  I think you'll see a lot of people at their hotel pools instead...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-0...condshark_x.htm

372015[/snapback]

It's not unusual for sharks to be that close inshore. It's very unusual to SEE them that close, though; sharks tend to dislike clear conditions, they prefer to hide in cloudy water.

And bull sharks are nasty as hell. Only one of a handful of sharks that are true maneaters, and hyper-aggressive. If it's a feeding attack, as these two in FL seem to have been, it's an even money bet it's a bull shark.

It's not unusual for sharks to be that close inshore.  It's very unusual to SEE them that close, though; sharks tend to dislike clear conditions, they prefer to hide in cloudy water. 

And bull sharks are nasty as hell.  Only one of a handful of sharks that are true maneaters, and hyper-aggressive.  If it's a feeding attack, as these two in FL seem to have been, it's an even money bet it's a bull shark.

372128[/snapback]

Thank you Jeff Corwin...

It's not unusual for sharks to be that close inshore.  It's very unusual to SEE them that close, though; sharks tend to dislike clear conditions, they prefer to hide in cloudy water. 

And bull sharks are nasty as hell.  Only one of a handful of sharks that are true maneaters, and hyper-aggressive.  If it's a feeding attack, as these two in FL seem to have been, it's an even money bet it's a bull shark.

372128[/snapback]

Fascinating.

Thank you Jeff Corwin...

372143[/snapback]

AND, as a matter of fact...the first girl that was attacked, was probably attacked BECAUSE she was on that sand bar. I'm willing to bet the ocean floor shelves off rapidly past that point...many sharks (particularly the dangerous ones) wait in deep water just off a shallow point and watch upward for prey. It probably saw the girl silhouetted in the shallows and thought "lunch". I still want to know what kind of shark that was. My money's on bull shark...but it could have been a tiger.

Hey, what can I say? I read too much.

372128[/snapback]

Why do I hear you saying this with Aussie accent, ala Steve Irwin...

" The water's full of these killer sharks. It's midnight and they're surrounding this little boat ! Just look at the size of those man eaters under the spotlights. Incredible !

Let's have a closer look ! ( Splash ! ) " :doh:

yah i know...but no one here has mentioned anything about her getting caught in a riptide, thats why i was wondering...regarding the sand bar, the first one is about 40 yds or so offshore, and even at low tide, the water prolly gets about 9-10 feet deep before it shallows out to waist deep at the first bar...after that i dunno, never ventured that far offshore...

372044[/snapback]

If we're talking about the incident I think we are, then that girl and her girl friend where boogie boarding.

Water skiing was always fun here in Florida. Dont forget the gators too.

372235[/snapback]

Tubing is also fun in FL. And yes, nothing makes a gator happier when you come up and challenge it to a wrestling match in order to get your golf ball back :doh:

I'm heading to Long Beach Island, NJ in Aug. And I see they just had a surfer get attacked by a Great White June 9th. They should be gone by then as the water will be much warmer but I've caught sharks off the beach before. If people knew how many are actually out there nobody would probably swim. The odds are still pretty low that you would ever get bitten though.

372090[/snapback]

My father has caught several 4-5 footers down in wildwood, NJ... where the bay meets the ocean... Most likely the situation is that we are overfishing, decreasing THEIR food supply.

Everyone is talking about the first shark attack. The second shark attack was stupidity. The dude was fishing waist deep with shrimp. One of the dumbest things you can do in Florida. 1 in 3 shark attacks in the world happens in Florida. Sharks are remarkable creatures and shark attacks are part of life. The media over sensationalizes shark attacks and many times they hype up attacks when the reality is shark attacks are down. Sharks perform a valuable service. They usually target weak or injured prey. In doing so they make gene pools stronger and more likely to survive. Its a pity about these two victims but both deaths were preventable. I declare the shark not guilty on two counts of manslaughter!

PS-Mary is hot!

372090[/snapback]

I hear you. I've done a lot of surf casting on the southeast coast, and in Hawaii. Bait thieves. More than once I've caught something decent, and by the time I reeled it in I had half a fish or less. There was and continues to be a problem in Hawaii with boogie boarders and Tigers. One of Mr. Tiger's favorite foods is sea turtle. Well, from underneath, what does a boogie boarder look like? Usually, the shark takes a bite - finds out it isn't turtle and swims away. Lot of damage in one bite, though. I thought the girl got bitten by a Bull. They can be pretty aggressive.

There's always a few shark attacks every year. Actually, less this year so far than average. Media gets a story...I personally wouldn't worry much about it. Enjoy the beach. It's summer.

Everyone is talking about the first shark attack.  The second shark attack was stupidity.  The dude was fishing waist deep with shrimp.

372489[/snapback]

I have to agree with that. After reading the details, that was a clear case of Darwin at work.

Yeah the dorky school girl look isn't working for me either.

372529[/snapback]

You have to remember that if it's female, most likely maybe breathing, not fat and in the media, someone somewhere is going to lust. My worthless advice is, if she's under 18, don't do it on a public message board. I remember when the movie Harry Potter came out. There was an element here that were seriously discussing how "hot" the little brown haired wizard girl was. SHE WAS 12!

Makes one wonder if the parents of the thirteen year old living next door to some of these folks have a clue as to what goes on in the minds of some.

Yo, am I the only one who saw Jaws for god's sake? I have a hard time being in water over my hips in the ocean. Seriously that movie freaked me out about sharks and I've never really felt the desire to push my luck.

In addition here is a quick TRUE story. I was down on the gulf side of Florida by sarasota a few years back. The people I was with were all swimming and talking in the water to some guy. Turns out the guy was a marine biologist.

Point of the story is, he told me that their were TONS of sharks in the ocean with in a half a mile of shore. At first I thought he was trying to freak me out, but he was totally serious.

I've been a different man in the ocean since that day.

t-r

Yo, am I the only one who saw Jaws for god's sake? I have a hard time being in water over my hips in the ocean.  Seriously that movie freaked me out about sharks and I've never really felt the desire to push my luck. 

In addition here is a quick TRUE story.  I was down on the gulf side of Florida by sarasota a few years back.  The people I was with were all swimming and talking in the water to some guy.  Turns out the guy was a marine biologist. 

Point of the story is, he told me that their were TONS of sharks in the ocean with in a half a mile of shore.  At first I thought he was trying to freak me out, but he was totally serious. 

I've been a different man in the ocean since that day. 

t-r

372542[/snapback]

There are. Off the Carolina and Georgia coasts you can't get away from them. The water is murkey, I've been fishing and had them swim right into me, bounce off and go somewhere else. Most of the sharks around there are fish eaters, and fairly (if not very) small - not much to worry about - unless you need to get them off your hook. Toughest friggen skin on a fish in the world. I ended up just cutting off the leader and tossing them back out. Trying to remove the hook usually kills them.

You have to remember that if it's female, most likely maybe breathing, not fat and in the media, someone somewhere is going to lust. My worthless advice is, if she's under 18, don't do it on a public message board. I remember when the movie Harry Potter came out. There was an element here that were seriously discussing how "hot" the little brown haired wizard girl was. SHE WAS 12!

Makes one wonder if the parents of the thirteen year old living next door to some of these folks have a clue as to what goes on in the minds of some.

372534[/snapback]

As soon as I saw her pic I knew the shark thread would degenerate into......ummmm, what was I saying? :(

372534[/snapback]

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Mary, a Junior at Eckerd College" = at least 20 yrs old. At least.

Cool, thus.....the comments!

372599[/snapback]

Joking aside...

I personally have no problem with "young". But legal is legal. I have three "penpals" I correspond with pretty regular. 19-19-20. They are very bright, articulate young ladies and also by the way, very attractive. We have some good conversations. I enjoy getting points of view from them because, at 49 - I just can't get my brain to function from that age groups viewpoint. It's interesting, and helpful to actually be able to have a long back and forth conversation about where the country is going, what's important to them especially in terms of things I work with. Same with getting the dissenting views from places like (gasp) PPP. I help to write, review, and advise on government policy in certain areas. How things are worded and presented can make a big difference as to how it is received. In return, they sometimes talk to me about things that they might not feel comfortable talking with an older adult they know face to face over. I'm not talking about sex, but sometimes other things where they don't want to appear stupid trying to articulate something. I'm sort of their internet "Uncle Paul".

All three, (I said they were good looking) have had problems with older male relatives and "family friends" getting overly "chummy". It's made them pretty uncomfortable and quite distrustful. I guess that is part of why this lust fest business with young gals bothers me. I don't have any daughters, but this gives me an idea (three for three) that this is probably a bigger problem than some realize.