Anybody been to a game in Miami? Worth going?

Hey all,

I’m thinking about making a long weekend trip and going to the Miami game, in Miami.  Is it worth the trip?  Any tips on where to stay or “must try” restaurants?  I’ve been to a lot of games at home and a handful of away games, I know nothing compares to the game day experience in Buffalo, but I’m always down for something new.

Yes, well worth the trip.  We (my wife and I) stayed at the Margaritaville Hotel in Hollywood and enjoyed the quieter beach (compared to South Beach) while we were there.  But I prefer to get away from large crowds and people that act stupid in my old age so if you are into the beach/party life knock yourself out.  It is easy to get an Uber to and from the stadium and the resort to avoid the traffic.  Tons of good restaurants but I would definitely ask the locals for their recommendations to avoid all the touristy places.  We ended up at a couple of hole in the wall places that I would go back to in a heartbeat if I ever go there again.  

• Agree 1

I saw a playoff game in Miami during the Kelly years.  I think any advice I'd have would be outdated.

But I'll say this: it was a lot of fun.  Miami fans jeered Bills fans everywhere we went.  People gave us the finger on the highways.  They chanted obscene things in the stadium when it became clear they were going to lose.  The nightly newscasters mocked Buffalo's dreary winter skyline.  I wore a Bills jersey into a restaurant and the server told me she couldn't take my order.  I thought she was joking.  She wasn't. 

But we Bills fans were like locusts.  Undeterred by the relentless negativity of our suffering Fin hosts, we swarmed over the city in the tens of thousands.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I had a great time when I went there a few yrs ago when Epenesa knocked Tua out of the game. Immediately stopped at the Hendricks table entering the stadium. Stayed at a friend’s place  so no suggestions on places to stay. It rained a bit that day but our seats were far enough behind the rooftop opening that we did not get wet but plenty of people were retreating from their seats in front of us.

14 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I wore a Bills jersey into a restaurant and the server told me she couldn't take my order.  I thought she was joking.  She wasn't. 

Awesome!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Yes I flew down for week 17 last year. 

There is amazing dining in Miami.

I did not realize how old the city looked. Not a place I would want to live in.

Stadium was fine. Nothing special. It's rectangular so it feels like more of a soccer Stadium. It is rather loud. Bills fan made it difficult for Dolphins to hear but the Dolphins fans were louder than I expected. 

Of course this was a night game in Jan. 

No idea what it would be like in Sept. At least it will be at night. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I did not realize how old the city looked. Not a place I would want to live in.

Miami Gardens (where the stadium is) or Miami? I'd be very surprised to hear someone say Miami looked old with the massive amounts of modern buildings being built in downtown.

Miami Gardens is a shithole. Murder Gardens.

Edited by Slippery Rubber Mats
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Definitely a must-do away game for Bills Fans. I would stay in Fort Lauderdale Beach. Elbow Room is fun. Casablanca Cafe and Cafe del Mar for great food.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Miami Gardens (where the stadium is) or Miami? I'd be very surprised to hear someone say Miami looked old with the massive amounts of modern buildings being built in downtown.

Miami Gardens is a shithole. Murder Gardens.

Yea Miami has so much new buildings being built it's definitely a 21st century city 

• Like (+1) 1

If you ever wondered what Buffalo would be like if someone transplanted the city into a tropical climate, go to a Bills game in Miami.

Highly recommend.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Hey all,

I’m thinking about making a long weekend trip and going to the Miami game, in Miami.  Is it worth the trip?  Any tips on where to stay or “must try” restaurants?  I’ve been to a lot of games at home and a handful of away games, I know nothing compares to the game day experience in Buffalo, but I’m always down for something new.

The stadium is real nice to watch a game at.  And there are always a lot of Bills fans at every game in Miami.  The stadium is about halfway between Miami and Fort Lauderdale.  

I live in Fort Lauderdale and it’s a great place to live and stay in.  If you have some coin to spend, stay down by the beach at the W Or the Conrad.  Both real nice hotels across the street from the beach on A 1 A. Lots of bars and restaurants down there and on Las Olas Blvd which runs from the beach to downtown Fort Lauderdale where I live.  (2-2 1/2 miles away from the beach)

Weather will likely be hot muggy and sunny in September like it usually is.  And the ocean is awesome too.  It’s a fun vacation topped off w a big Bills victory. 

Check out the Elbo room if you like drunk rowdiness across from the beach.  Fun for all ages.  Lol

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Hey all,

Two other hotels to consider are in downtown Fort Lauderdale.  The Riverside and the Hyatt Centrix. 

if you want a great Italian meal at an Italian Steakhouse try Runway 84 in Fort Lauderdale not too far from the airport.  Has that Frank Sinatra/Rat Pack feel w live music.  Expensive but a great meal and great experience.  

• Like (+1) 1

I went to the “Heat Game” two years ago with my wife and some friends. We made it a 5 day vacation and stayed on Miami Beach a bit north of South Beach at the Fontainebleau. It was a fun vacation but pretty pricey in that area. Outside of going to the game, we treated it more of a beach vacation rather than doing Bills backers type stuff.

We were also fortunate enough to be sitting on the shade side and a bit further up. Tua went down like a feather when Milano grazed him.

• Like (+1) 1