Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s literally an article about the topic of the thread.  But you don’t think it’s on topic?  If someone posted a picture of grass in a “green things” thread would you lecture them too?

I must have missed the part of this thread where replacing Butker with a golden retriever because its "good for business" was being entertained. While I disagree that this article has any merit or relevance to the topic at hand, I do agree that it is worth your time and undivided attention and I am heartened that we see eye to eye on this issue. 

And on that note, I'll leave you guys to it. Looks like you, Lonnie, Clayton, @Bob Jones, and Jugdish will have lots to talk about!

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I must have missed the part of this thread where replacing Butker with a golden retriever because its "good for business" was being entertained. While I disagree that this article has any merit or relevance to the topic at hand, I do agree that it is worth your time and undivided attention and I am heartened that we see eye to eye on this issue. 

And on that note, I'll leave you guys to it. Looks like you, Lonnie, Clayton, @Bob Jones, and Jugdish will have lots to talk about!

Percentage chance that article is written if Butker didn’t give his commencement speech?  And you can’t fire enough synapses to connect the two things?

And now women are golden retrievers?  

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Percentage chance that article is written if Butker didn’t give his commencement speech?  And you can’t fire enough synapses to connect the two things?

And now women are golden retrievers?  

His commencement speech may have inspired articles suggesting Butker is the lost Lindberg baby or that he fathered a love child with Elvis Presley.  While there is a tangential connection in that these articles all involve Butker, these ridiculous articles would be equally irrelevant to any conversations taking place between functioning adults.  

But since you insist, I will get you and Bob started as we discuss this highly worthy and relevant piece of journalism: 

Should Butker be cut and the Chiefs be punished by the.....league I guess...and forced to cut him but then also forced to replace him with a woman??  I think the fans would love this slapstick interjection of social justice and sports.  It really put the Manitoba Sea Squirrels on the map when they let a woman kick a PAT.  Think about what it could do for struggling NFL attendance?  The Sea Squirrels aren't just some random bums either.  They are right in the mix for the Loonie Division. 

Hey, maybe Butker should be court ordered to be Megan Rapinoe's butler?!?  That sounds like a sitcom. A topical and relevant sitcom.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

His commencement speech may have inspired articles suggesting Butker is the lost Lindberg baby or that he fathered a love child with Elvis Presley.  While there is a tangential connection in that these articles all involve Butker, these ridiculous articles would be equally irrelevant to any conversations taking place between functioning adults.  

But since you insist, I will get you and Bob started as we discuss this highly worthy and relevant piece of journalism: 

Should Butker be cut and the Chiefs be punished by the.....league I guess...and forced to cut him but then also forced to replace him with a woman??  I think the fans would love this slapstick interjection of social justice and sports.  It really put the Manitoba Sea Squirrels on the map when they let a woman kick a PAT.  Think about what it could do for struggling NFL attendance?  The Sea Squirrels aren't just some random bums either.  They are right in the mix for the Loonie Division. 

Hey, maybe Butker should be court ordered to be Megan Rapinoe's butler?!?  That sounds like a sitcom. A topical and relevant sitcom.

The thread’s OP is about Butker’s speech.  One can safely assume that articles discussing the speech, opinions about it, and ramifications of it are on topic.  This article Is written in direct response to Butker’s speech.  I’m not sure how a logical person could consider it off topic.  I’m guessing you didn’t find any articles linking Butker to Elvis’ love child but if you did, post away.

I can see why a demonstration of the silliness advocated by someone of your political persuasion would make you more sensitive than you already are, but as I’ve mentioned, I don’t personally put people into groups.  This means I understand that you may not share the opinion of the article’s author.  You needn’t deflect and wish to censor opinions that make “your side” look bad.  You didn’t write the article so it doesn’t make you look bad or silly.  Granted, you’ve done enough on your own already, but the article reflects poorly on its author, not you.  Your convoluted reasoning in favor of censorship is something that you own though.  

With all that said I don’t mind the idea of the Chiefs signing a female kicker for public relations purposes.  I say they should do it but the choice is theirs.

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The thread’s OP is about Butker’s speech.  One can safely assume that articles discussing the speech, opinions about it, and ramifications of it are on topic.  This article Is written in direct response to Butker’s speech.  I’m not sure how a logical person could consider it off topic.  I’m guessing you didn’t find any articles linking Butker to Elvis’ love child but if you did, post away.

I can see why a demonstration of the silliness advocated by someone of your political persuasion would make you more sensitive than you already are, but as I’ve mentioned, I don’t personally put people into groups.  This means I understand that you may not share the opinion of the article’s author.  You needn’t deflect and wish to censor opinions that make “your side” look bad.  You didn’t write the article so it doesn’t make you look bad or silly.  Granted, you’ve done enough on your own already, but the article reflects poorly on its author, not you.  Your convoluted reasoning in favor of censorship is something that you own though.  

With all that said I don’t mind the idea of the Chiefs signing a female kicker for public relations purposes.  I say they should do it but the choice is theirs.

Well at least you aren't grouping anyone while you clumsily guess at my political "persuasions" and attribute sweeping motives there from.  

Declaring an article to be void of meaningful content is no more a form of censorship than your suggestion that the article makes its author look bad and silly.  I have not, in any way, restricted anyone's ability to consume that nonsense above or any other such nonsense and you know that.  I imagine that defending the patently stupid is essentially reflexive to you at this point, a form of self preservation, but you simply must to stop conflating these misguided efforts with some form of principled defense of censorship or our first amendment rights.  You are no more defending our constitutional rights than a dog barking at cars. 

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Well at least you aren't grouping anyone while you clumsily guess at my political "persuasions" and attribute sweeping motives there from.  

Declaring an article to be void of meaningful content is no more a form of censorship than your suggestion that the article makes its author look bad and silly.  I have not, in any way, restricted anyone's ability to consume that nonsense above or any other such nonsense and you know that.  I imagine that defending the patently stupid is essentially reflexive to you at this point, a form of self preservation, but you simply must to stop conflating these misguided efforts with some form of principled defense of censorship or our first amendment rights.  You are no more defending our constitutional rights than a dog barking at cars. 

1. I don’t have to guess unless all your posts are “Opposite Day” posts.  I attribute no motives, sweeping or otherwise.  Motives require multi-step processes often exceeding three steps, so I can’t see attributing any motives on your part.

2. Perhaps you missed that the article was already erased from this thread once.  It reappeared and despite it be directly related to the thread’s topic, you made a pronouncement from on high that it was not.  

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

1. I don’t have to guess unless all your posts are “Opposite Day” posts.  I attribute no motives, sweeping or otherwise.  Motives require multi-step processes often exceeding three steps, so I can’t see attributing any motives on your part.

2. Perhaps you missed that the article was already erased from this thread once.  It reappeared and despite it be directly related to the thread’s topic, you made a pronouncement from on high that it was not.  

You don't have to guess what political group I belong to while you declare I am trying to censor an article to protect my political group and all the while you aren't grouping me or anyone else and you're definitely not ascribing motives...like censorship...because of the political group I belong to?  Got it.  Thank you for clarifying.

Ya know, maybe you should stick to calling me a racist.  I think you got a little too far over your skis today.

In our shared commitment to combatting censorship, real or otherwise, I am resharing the article.  Come all and read this brilliant selection from @4merper4mer's curated list of topical articles.  Behold its relevance.  Bask in its wisdom.  Daresay I like it even more than yesterday's timeless think piece titled "Garfield - Love for Lasagna - 3/18/1982".   

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/readers-opinion/guest-commentary/article288545627.html

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You don't have to guess what political group I belong to while you declare I am trying to censor an article to protect my political group and all the while you aren't grouping me or anyone else and you're definitely not ascribing motives...like censorship...because of the political group I belong to?  Got it.  Thank you for clarifying.

Ya know, maybe you should stick to calling me a racist.  I think you got a little too far over your skis today.

In our shared commitment to combatting censorship, real or otherwise, I am resharing the article.  Come all and read this brilliant selection from @4merper4mer's curated list of topical articles.  Behold its relevance.  Bask in its wisdom.  Daresay I like it even more than yesterday's timeless think piece titled "Garfield - Love for Lasagna - 3/18/1982".   

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/readers-opinion/guest-commentary/article288545627.html

if everyone could stop posting that ridiculous article it'd be great. the guy is a buffoon trying to get traction for his own name attacking the low hanging fruit because he is so majestically superior.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I don’t group.  Or at least I try very hard to avoid it.  I’m sure I’ve fallen into the trap because it is a flaw in human nature.  Persuasion and group are two different things. I didn’t put you in a group.  

Objective groups are a thing.  “People over six feet tall” is a group for example, but there is no reason to assume a lack of individuality among them.  There are many factors to all of us.  One of your factors appears to be a desire to define terms.  “An article about desired ramifications of Butker’s speech is off topic in a thread about Butker’s speech” is a odd definition of terms from my point of view, but whatever.  Look at your own words about one of your prior posts “Declaring an article to be devoid…..”. Declaring?  Not opining?  You’re the authority?

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

if everyone could stop posting that ridiculous article it'd be great. the guy is a buffoon trying to get traction for his own name attacking the low hanging fruit because he is so majestically superior.

I just want the Chiefs to use a female kicker.  Is that so wrong?  I wish the Bills could get that mule from the movie while we’re at it.

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t group.  Or at least I try very hard to avoid it.  I’m sure I’ve fallen into the trap because it is a flaw in human nature.  Persuasion and group are two different things. I didn’t put you in a group.  

Objective groups are a thing.  “People over six feet tall” is a group for example, but there is no reason to assume a lack of individuality among them.  There are many factors to all of us.  One of your factors appears to be a desire to define terms.  “An article about desired ramifications of Butker’s speech is off topic in a thread about Butker’s speech” is a odd definition of terms from my point of view, but whatever.  Look at your own words about one of your prior posts “Declaring an article to be devoid…..”. Declaring?  Not opining?  You’re the authority?

I just want the Chiefs to use a female kicker.  Is that so wrong?  I wish the Bills could get that mule from the movie while we’re at it.

As far as you're concerned, yes.  Now go get your shine box!

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

What is a female?

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

What is a female?

Well.  I mean. Um.

Never mind.  I retract my request if the declarator of all things this thread will allow it.  I will make my request more specific and my wish is now that the Chiefs hire the specific person the article advocated,  

But we have to wait for the declarator.  Never forget the declarator.

And we are still where we were when all this started.  A player has the right to say what he wants, people reading or hearing it have the right to express their opinions if they be negative or positive.  The league and the team have a responsibility to the other players and teams to indicate the player speaks only for himself.

And of course as with seemingly everything these days it all comes down to political persuasion.  Some of the same people who lambasted Kaepernick for his stance fall all over themselves praising Butker.  And vice versa.  

Speaking as an Independent, both these guys had the absolute right to express themselves however they wanted.  I was OK with Kaepernick kneeling because he cleared it with a Green Beret as being appropriate, and I understand those who hated it.  To me the flag stands for freedom, and what you do with your freedom may be repugnant to me but that’s the way it goes.  

Same with Butker.  But with Butker I am less understanding because of his views about the LGBTQ community.  Comments like his get like minded folks charged up and that can result in direct harm to folks who simply want to live their lives.  His comments about women?  Women I know waver between being pissed at the guy and laughing at him, and they are OK with someone wanting to be a homemaker.  That’s not a choice the vast majority of women I know would make, but to each her own.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And we are still where we were when all this started.  A player has the right to say what he wants, people reading or hearing it have the right to express their opinions if they be negative or positive.  The league and the team have a responsibility to the other players and teams to indicate the player speaks only for himself.

And of course as with seemingly everything these days it all comes down to political persuasion.  Some of the same people who lambasted Kaepernick for his stance fall all over themselves praising Butker.  And vice versa.  

Speaking as an Independent, both these guys had the absolute right to express themselves however they wanted.  I was OK with Kaepernick kneeling because he cleared it with a Green Beret as being appropriate, and I understand those who hated it.  To me the flag stands for freedom, and what you do with your freedom may be repugnant to me but that’s the way it goes.  

Same with Butker.  But with Butker I am less understanding because of his views about the LGBTQ community.  Comments like his get like minded folks charged up and that can result in direct harm to folks who simply want to live their lives.  His comments about women?  Women I know waver between being pissed at the guy and laughing at him, and they are OK with someone wanting to be a homemaker.  That’s not a choice the vast majority of women I know would make, but to each her own.

One big, BIG difference between Kap and Butker is that Kap did his thing on “company time.” To me, and to many others, that makes a world of difference. An analogy would be if right after the SB win, down on the field in post game interviews, Butker would have said some of the stuff he said at the college commencement speech.

2 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

One big, BIG difference between Kap and Butker is that Kap did his thing on “company time.” To me, and to many others, that makes a world of difference. An analogy would be if right after the SB win, down on the field in post game interviews, Butker would have said some of the stuff he said at the college commencement speech.

And the company was OK with it or it would not have happened.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Same with Butker.  But with Butker I am less understanding because of his views about the LGBTQ community.  Comments like his get like minded folks charged up and that can result in direct harm to folks who simply want to live their lives.  

Cops don’t want to live their lives?

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Cops don’t want to live their lives?

I have no idea where this is coming from, but yes police should be able to live their lives.  I am very much pro law and order.

57 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And the company was OK with it or it would not have happened.

In what universe was the NFL okay with it? They were begging broadcast partners not to show it and have literally blackballed him from ever playing again.

16 minutes ago, Einstein said:

In what universe was the NFL okay with it? They were begging broadcast partners not to show it and have literally blackballed him from ever playing again.

His team owner allowed it.  So he got to kneel.