Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

He didn't even mention the lbqf whatever "folks" lol.

WTF did you think he was referring too?  You can agree or disagree but this is an obvious shot at the LGBTQ community.

"He is not alone. From the man behind the COVID lockdowns to the people pushing dangerous gender ideologies onto the youth of America, they all have a glaring thing in common. They are Catholic. This is an important reminder that being Catholic alone doesn't cut it."

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

He didn't even mention the lbqf whatever "folks" lol.

Not by name. But this line is clearly directed at them:

"Not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it, but the true God-centered pride that is cooperating with the Holy Ghost to glorify him."

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

I just reread the speech. He didn't mention the LGBTQ community, or sexual orientation, or anything else pertaining to that subject. If you don't believe me, the transcript of the speech is here. 

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine

Please don't spread misinformation.

wrong

from your link:

...'Not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it...'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I have terminal difficulty in believing that anyone there that day left there traumatized or with "emotional injuries" despite the "microaggression."

If anyone did, what would that say for their preparedness for life.  

People are so ridiculously emotionally soft these days.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DrW said:

Not by name. But this line is clearly directed at them:

"Not the deadly sin sort of pride that has an entire month dedicated to it, but the true God-centered pride that is cooperating with the Holy Ghost to glorify him."

If that's the way it's taken so be it. If they feel so threatened then this gives "them" the opportunity to make an anti-kicker speech without naming Butker by name. So many people are so worked up about this Catholic speech at a Catholic college it really is amusing. His women's jersey is completely sold out... can't be that bad.

Just now, PBF81 said:

I wish people would still go their whole lives without getting a hug from their father, crying in public, or telling platonic friends "I love you", the way God intended!

200.gif?cid=6c09b952dfwhypw26lfe8hzcf2oz

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I have terminal difficulty in believing that anyone there that day left there traumatized or with "emotional injuries" despite the "microaggression."

If anyone did, what would that say for their preparedness for life.  

You think empathizing w the disenfranchised is 'emotionally soft' lol

wager your definition of preparedness for life is significantly narrower than average

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

WTF did you think he was referring too?  You can agree or disagree but this is an obvious shot at the LGBTQ community.

"He is not alone. From the man behind the COVID lockdowns to the people pushing dangerous gender ideologies onto the youth of America, they all have a glaring thing in common. They are Catholic. This is an important reminder that being Catholic alone doesn't cut it."

Transgender and gender dysphoric youth have a much higher chance of suicide. It is literally dangerous. Whether or not they are right with their feelings or justified in portraying themselves is secondary to that fact. There should be a lot more care in what we expose children to. 

Additionally, I also challenge anyone to find where he mentions a woman cannot have a career. 

Ladies and gentlemen of the class of 2024, you are sitting at the edge of the rest of your lives. Each of you has the potential to leave a legacy that transcends yourselves and this era of human existence. In the small ways by living out your vocation, you will ensure that God’s Church continues and the world is enlightened by your example. For the ladies present today, congratulations on an amazing accomplishment. You should be proud of all that you have achieved to this point in your young lives. I want to speak directly to you briefly because I think it is you, the women, who have had the most diabolical lies told to you, how many of you are sitting here now about to cross the stage, and are thinking about all the promotions and titles you’re going to get in your career. Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world. But I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world. I can tell you that my beautiful wife Isabelle would be the first to say that her life truly started when she began living her vocation as a wife and as a mother.

I’m on this stage today and able to be the man I am because I have a wife who leans into her vocation. I’m beyond blessed with the many talents God has given me. But it cannot be overstated, that all of my success is made possible because a girl I met in band class back in middle school would convert to the faith, become my wife and embrace one of the most important titles of all: homemaker. She’s a primary educator to our children. She’s the one who ensures I never let football or my business become a distraction from that of a husband and father. She is the person that knows me best at my core. And it is through our marriage that Lord willing, we will both attain salvation. I say all of this to you because I’ve seen it firsthand how much happier someone can be when they disregard the outside noise and move closer and closer to God’s will in their life. Isabelle’s dream of having a career might not have come true. But if you ask her today, if she has any regrets on her decision, she would laugh out loud without hesitation and say, “heck no.”

Interesting that no one is mentioning that his wife doesnt allow football or his business to become a distraction from that of HIS PRIMARY DUTY OF A HUSBAND AND FATHER! AMI RIGHT GUYS?! She doesnt want him to have success!

Seriously though, why is it that a woman serving her family as a mother and wife is somehow rooted in misogyny but going to serve a corporate overlord is a successful achievement? I'd argue the same for men. Men shouldnt be ashamed to be a stay at home dad if the wife makes sufficient income. Serve your family to the best of your ability, both men and women.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Transgender and gender dysphoric youth have a much higher chance of suicide. It is literally dangerous. Whether or not they are right with their feelings or justified in portraying themselves is secondary to that fact. There should be a lot more care in what we expose children to. 

are you suggesting gender identity is communicable lmfao

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

It is dangerous because people like Butker exist that don't accept their existence.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Has anybody bothered to ask actual MOTHERS if they feel that being a mom and making sure their children have a safe and nurturing home is "the most important thing" to them? Id bet a lot of money the vast majority of them...even ones with big time careers outside the home...would say that it is. Becuase all I know is that Im a "father and provider" and there is ABSOLTUELY NOTHING ON THIS PLANET that comes remotely close to that title in terms of priority, importance, sense of duty or pride for me. 

Edited by RkFast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Has anybody bothered to ask actual MOTHERS if they feel that being a mom and making sure their children have a safe and nurturing home is "the most important thing" to them? Id bet a lot of money the vast majority of them...even ones with big time careers outside the home...would say that it is. Becuase all I know is that Im a "father and provider" and there is ABSOLTUELY NOTHING ON THIS PLANET that comes remotely close to that title for me. 

It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.  That’s the point.  Butker suggests it has to be.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RkFast said:

Has anybody bothered to ask actual MOTHERS if they feel that being a mom and making sure their children have a safe and nurturing home is "the most important thing" to them? Id bet a lot of money the vast majority of them...even ones with big time careers outside the home...would say that it is. Becuase all I know is that Im a "father and provider" and there is ABSOLTUELY NOTHING ON THIS PLANET that comes remotely close to that title for me. 

Did your life not start until that moment?  Was everything before that meaningless?

Its weird that Butker is against IVF when life doesn't start until you're married.

Edited by ImpactCorey
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fan in San Diego said:

I don't think a commencement speech is the right place for a religious rant. Stick to encouraging words and some humorous advice.  Keep the religious crap to yourself.

It was at a Catholic school with a speech delivered by a Catholic. 

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, ImpactCorey said:

Did your life not start until that moment?  Was everything before that meaningless?

Of course not. But he clearly used the term "vocation" both as him as father and his wife as a mother. Thats something thats aspired and worked toward, not born with.

Edited by RkFast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.  That’s the point.  Butker suggests it has to be.

Suggesting and banging a gavel are two different things.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I dont agree. But I DO think he was a little ham-fisted with his words. The term "homemaker" is a loaded one which to a lot of people implies "get back into the kitchen."  But there is no queation that running a good home is tough job and an important one thats been downplayed and crapped on in search of some new noble calling for women in the workforce. 

Which kind of leads me to my next point here....

A LOT of people who are outraged over this have also been on the side of "screw the man" and "your career isnt everything...find something else thats closer to your heart" and all that, especially post-COVID. Isnt that the same thing Butker is saying?

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ImpactCorey said:

It is dangerous because people like Butker exist that don't accept their existence.

Do you recognize any limits to acceptance?

For instance:

I have no ill will at all toward transexuals. Now, do I want them to use bathrooms with my daughters and/or other women? No, I do not.

Do I want them to compete in women's sports? Absolutely not. It took women decades if not centuries to be properly recognized wrt sports. Now, men are trying to take back sports from women, dominate them, and sometimes injure women in the process. 

In your world, does this make me a "hater?"

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RkFast said:

I dont agree. But I DO think he was a little ham-fisted with his words. The term "homemaker" is a loaded one which to a lot of people implies "get back into the kitchen."  But there is no queation that running a good home is tough job and an important one thats been downplayed and crapped on in search of some new noble calling for women in the workforce. 

I have a perfect example of a great mom and career woman in my own home.  I’m sure there are many on this board that would say the same.

And when in his supposed clarification he said he wanted to harken back to a day when women were more concerned with babies than thoughts, that is not something I would call a little ham fisted.  

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Agree 2