Would you consider yourself a nostalgic person?

Me very much so.

I know last year a bakery my grandparents used to take me to closed up after many many years.  As a grown up I would go there for years as well.  Part of the appeal was the nostalgic feel of that part of town/the place.  But to my good fortune for the time being someone re-opened the bakery.  They don't carry as much products as they used too but it's still good quality.  I felt really happy when they opened up again.

Or today for instance driving I came across an outlet store my parents took me to as a kid.  Looked like the place dwindled down a lot over time.  But it still brought back good memories.

And on a sad note I struggled a bit when I found out online one day a childhood friend died.   He an as adult seemed to go down some pretty bad paths in life involving the police after googling his name.  But I can still recall hanging out with him a little when we were kids.  My mom even one day when we were kids was able to set up an appointment with Carvel where we got to see the back of the store and make ice cream for ourselves as part of the Cub Scouts.  One day out of the blue recently at an ice cream parlor I thought of Kevin and damn I mean it hurt.  Even though I hadn't seen him in over 30 years.

But that is just me.  My Dad commented about the outlet store "It had its heyday" when I asked him about the place.  My mom and another friend just kind of remarked "The choices people make in life" kind of thing when I brought up my old friend.  My aunt when we talk about family stuff is very much a not look back on the past kind of person.  She comments a lot how people are always resident to change.

So yeah in my long winded way you can see I am quite a nostalgic person.  Others I know not at all.

How about you? 

I would say I am.  It's a really complex thing, isn't it?  Being nostalgic.

Try to program that into an AI robot and you'll see what I mean.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am.  It comes kind of naturally because I really enjoyed the time period I grew up in, I have so many great memories from those days so it's pretty easy to look back on.  I am also a bit of an old soul so I think I just identify more with the simpler times.  In my opinion movies, pop culture, Sports, music were much better in the 80s and 90s.  

For the OP it sounds like your parents are not very Nostalgic but one thing I am pretty appreciative of my parents are fun to talk about old times and memories with whether it is old family memories, local WNY history, old neighborhood stories.  Those are some of my favorite conversations I have with my parents.  

One thing I have noticed in life there are really two types of people when it comes to this subject.  People that are not Nostalgic at all and the past is the past and they could care less about reminiscing and then people who are very Nostalgic and can get caught up in taking a lap down memory lane.  I have learned which people in my life I can have good conversations about the past and other people to not even bother having those conversations with.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

***** I'm the worst.  I've got my own nostalgia, then I'm even nostalgic for other people's nostalgia.  I can't help but miss the good old days of my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and whatnot going back into the 20's ,30's, 40's... and I wasn't even anywhere close to existing!

I'm nostalgic for smells... 1920's San Francisco apartment building elevators.  That old candy and beer shop near my cousins' house in NEPA... it's been gone for 35 years, but I can still smell every inch of it.  

Old cars- that's all I'll ever own.  They can pry that stick shift from my cold, dead hand.  

But the people, so many great old characters.  You can't take them away, but I can never replace them.  

Agree with the AI comment above.  Screw the tech idiots, they have no concept of soul.  

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

***** I'm the worst.  I've got my own nostalgia, then I'm even nostalgic for other people's nostalgia.  I can't help but miss the good old days of my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles and whatnot going back into the 20's ,30's, 40's... and I wasn't even anywhere close to existing!

I'm nostalgic for smells... 1920's San Francisco apartment building elevators.  That old candy and beer shop near my cousins' house in NEPA... it's been gone for 35 years, but I can still smell every inch of it.  

Old cars- that's all I'll ever own.  They can pry that stick shift from my cold, dead hand.  

But the people, so many great old characters.  You can't take them away, but I can never replace them.  

Agree with the AI comment above.  Screw the tech idiots, they have no concept of soul.  

Where in NEPA?   I live in Scranton.   

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

Where in NEPA?   I live in Scranton.   

These particular cousins grew up in Ashley... and I'm Totally nostalgic for that town too! 

My family moved out West a looong time ago, and unfortunately most of my trips there are for funerals nowadays, but I absolutely love NEPA.   Shoot, now I miss the old Ashley coal breaker and climbing all over the old coal cars...

(Feel free to ship me out some Sabatelle's, btw.  )

Edit:  Shoot, that's in Pittston... now I'm nostalgic for when I could remember things 

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm still collecting cards of my childhood favorite Rickey Henderson. I also have Funko Pops of childhood favorite characters. Yeah I'm nostalgic. 

I saved all my old Rickey Henderson cards for 30 years. I looked them up recently and they are like worth 10 cents!! 

I had no idea, but all those baseball cards from the 80s and 90s are considered junk. 

That said, it is cool now that I have kids who are into cards, and I get to show them my old ones. 

41 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

These particular cousins grew up in Ashley... and I'm Totally nostalgic for that town too! 

My family moved out West a looong time ago, and unfortunately most of my trips there are for funerals nowadays, but I absolutely love NEPA.   Shoot, now I miss the old Ashley coal breaker and climbing all over the old coal cars...

(Feel free to ship me out some Sabatelle's, btw.  )

Edit:  Shoot, that's in Pittston... now I'm nostalgic for when I could remember things 

I actually work in Wilkes-Barre so Im close to Ashley.   I like Alfredo's in Scranton for good square pizza or Maroni's in West Side (scranton)    It's a great area and close to NYC Philly Baltimore.   Only 4:45min to Orchard Park too!  

57 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I saved all my old Rickey Henderson cards for 30 years. I looked them up recently and they are like worth 10 cents!! 

I had no idea, but all those baseball cards from the 80s and 90s are considered junk. 

That said, it is cool now that I have kids who are into cards, and I get to show them my old ones. 

Yeah most cards of that era were over produced so aren't worth much. My collection more sentimental, as I have roughly 1930 unique cards of Rickey and only Rickey. I might quit once hit 2k though lol

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Toomstone.Part.Duex said:

I actually work in Wilkes-Barre so Im close to Ashley.   I like Alfredo's in Scranton for good square pizza or Maroni's in West Side (scranton)    It's a great area and close to NYC Philly Baltimore.   Only 4:45min to Orchard Park too!  

I'm definitely coming out there to visit, hopefully sans funeral, then catch a Bills game this year.  Sabatelle's Is the place for sandwiches and everything Italian deli... just fantastic.  Gerry's Pizza in WB is perfection, and my absolute must have when I go back are hot dogs at Ferris's Barney St. Lunch... frickin greatest thing ever made by humankind.  

Absolutely. We just got back from a trip to Hilton Head. That’s where I met my wife and my kids were born. I went to the place we had our first date. We called a friend who called a friend to call in a gate pass so we could drive past one of our old houses. We went by the other places we lived too. We also went to all our favorite restaurants. 

That happens to me any time I go back to WNY, too. I love going back to see our old houses, and I lived in 9 (really 8 but one of them twice). Yeah, we moved a lot with parents in real estate. 

But I think all that is pretty natural. 

I may be too nostalgic, as I have a tendency to prefer the old over the new. I need to be more aware of that in myself and try to be more open to new things. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

Absolutely. We just got back from a trip to Hilton Head. That’s where I met my wife and my kids were born. I went to the place we had our first date. We called a friend who called a friend to call in a gate pass so we could drive past one of our old houses. We went by the other places we lived too. We also went to all our favorite restaurants. 

That happens to me any time I go back to WNY, too. I love going back to see our old houses, and I lived in 9 (really 8 but one of them twice). Yeah, we moved a lot with parents in real estate. 

But I think all that is pretty natural. 

I may be too nostalgic, as I have a tendency to prefer the old over the new. I need to be more aware of that in myself and try to be more open to new things. 

I too find it reassuring to know that I can make back-alley deals to visit an old neighborhood when absolutely zero of my former neighbors would buzz me in.  )

• Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

I too find it reassuring to know that I can make back-alley deals to visit an old neighborhood when absolutely zero of my former neighbors would buzz me in.  )

It’s been 30 years, so I’m sure none of the same people are around. It was reassuring to know that we were unlikely to draw attention to ourselves from our old neighbors, and therefore hopefully not draw any kind of rifle fire. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1