5 most underrated pizzerias in WNY

Steve O

55 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Snobby peeps! 😉 

NY pizza sucks. Chicago thin crust is better. And that's pretty bad. 

Why da ***** would you fold it, just make it thicker. 😏 

Prince Street Pizza 

One of the most popular pizza joints in New York City.. literally is churning out of buffalo style pizza with cup and char pepperoni 

Literally one of the most popping places in the city... Stole Buffalo Pizza

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Prince Street Pizza 

One of the most popular pizza joints in New York City.. literally is churning out of buffalo style pizza with cup and char pepperoni 

Literally one of the most popping places in the city... Stole Buffalo Pizza

Bunch of frauds! 😏 

Posted (edited)

Having traveled all over this great country for football... I have also eaten food all over this country 

There are certain regional pizzas... That I would say they have the right to be called a pizza City 

New York City 

Buffalo 

New Haven 

Chicago 

Detroit 

All have identifiable styles that people around the country try to recreate 

Now I'm not saying there's not good pizza outside of those places.. I'm saying those places have became Pizza meccas due to their distinct styles

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I can't believe some of your are giving me a thumbs down.  You know it's true.  You sit down with a nice pie from an Italian last name family NY style...you're going with that every time.

Just like PBR is not good, some drink it because it's the hip Buffalo thing to do.  Please citizens of WNY, drink better beer, eat better pizza and enjoy life more.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't believe some of your are giving me a thumbs down.  You know it's true.  You sit down with a nice pie from an Italian last name family NY style...you're going with that every time.

Just like PBR is not good, some drink it because it's the hip Buffalo thing to do.  Please citizens of WNY, drink better beer, eat better pizza and enjoy life more.

PBR is a "hip Buffalo thing" to drink?  Maybe you need to frequent better establishments...

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I literally know nobody that drinks PBR LOL 

It's Buffalo the majority of old heads drink labatts 

And I think you are selling short the amount of pure greasy Italians that are making pizzas in buffalo

Edited by Buffalo716

On 5/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Having traveled all over this great country for football... I have also eaten food all over this country 

There are certain regional pizzas... That I would say they have the right to be called a pizza City 

New York City 

Buffalo 

New Haven 

Chicago 

Detroit 

All have identifiable styles that people around the country try to recreate 

Now I'm not saying there's not good pizza outside of those places.. I'm saying those places have became Pizza meccas due to their distinct styles

I remember reading an article about pizza from a highly travelled pizza connoisseur.  He mentioned that NYC and Chicago are the two cities most famous for pizza but thought Buffalo was just as good.  He also said Detroit was woefully underrated.  (If I recall correctly, he said he would rank Detroit #2).  

I don't recall him mentioning New Haven and I'm surprised to see it on your list.

I read a different article about pizza, written by two chefs who rated San Francisco and Seattle in the Top 5 or 10 but not Buffalo (or Detroit, as I recall).  Having lived in San Fran and Seattle, I concluded these guys didn't know what they were talking about and obviously hadn't researched the subject very deeply.  

I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I believe that Buffalo pizza is better than Buffalo wings.   I've had a lot of great wings outside of Buffalo - better than Bar Bill, Duffs, or Anchor.   But Buffalo pizza shines.  The average pizza joint in Buffalo is better than the average pizza joint in the majority of other cities.  And on a per capita basis, Buffalo is one of the most pizza dense places in North America.  

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I remember reading an article about pizza from a highly travelled pizza connoisseur.  He mentioned that NYC and Chicago are the two cities most famous for pizza but thought Buffalo was just as good.  He also said Detroit was woefully underrated.  (If I recall correctly, he said he would rank Detroit #2).  

I don't recall him mentioning New Haven and I'm surprised to see it on your list.

I read a different article about pizza, written by two chefs who rated San Francisco and Seattle in the Top 5 or 10 but not Buffalo (or Detroit, as I recall).  Having lived in San Fran and Seattle, I concluded these guys didn't know what they were talking about and obviously hadn't researched the subject very deeply.  

I know that this is not a popular opinion, but I believe that Buffalo pizza is better than Buffalo wings.   I've had a lot of great wings outside of Buffalo - better than Bar Bill, Duffs, or Anchor.   But Buffalo pizza shines.  The average pizza joint in Buffalo is better than the average pizza joint in the majority of other cities.  And on a per capita basis, Buffalo is one of the most pizza dense places in North America.  

Absolutely 

And yes I agree Detroit Pizza is severely underrated 

I mean I would put it above Chicago... My list of cities is not really in order.. just regional pizzas that I've had that's squarely are in their own identity 

And Detroit like Buffalo is very underrated... They have access to galbani cheese which is the cream of the crop for pizza cheeses 

Galbani which is the leading cheese maker for pizza in the world.. top class Pizza cheese... Has its only North American headquarters in Buffalo 

Because they know the demographics.. Pizza makers in South Carolina would love Galbani... But the price they have to pay down there is not economical 

So it's abundant in Buffalo and Chicago and Detroit

What cities do you find good wings in? Genuinely curious,  I don't think Buffalo has a monopoly on it... I know they're out there but you have to look

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely 

And yes I agree Detroit Pizza is severely underrated 

I mean I would put it above Chicago... My list of cities is not really in order.. just regional pizzas that I've had that's squarely are in their own identity 

And Detroit like Buffalo is very underrated... They have access to galbani cheese which is the cream of the crop for pizza cheeses 

Galbani which is the leading cheese maker for pizza in the world.. top class Pizza cheese... Has its only North American headquarters in Buffalo 

Because they know the demographics.. Pizza makers in South Carolina would love Galbani... But the price they have to pay down there is not economical 

So it's abundant in Buffalo and Chicago and Detroit

What cities do you find good wings in? Genuinely curious,  I don't think Buffalo has a monopoly on it... I know they're out there but you have to look

I haven't visited any cities that I find especially good at wings, just particular restaurants here and there.

For example, I visited my daughter in Bellingham, WA once when she was going to school there.  We had wings for an appetizer at a Thai restaurant that were so good we had to order another serving.  The following day, we had wings at a Brazilian place that specialized in wings/chicken.  The wings themselves were unexceptional except that they came with a variety of tasty & interesting dipping sauces.  

A week later, we were in Buffalo (Clarence) at Bar Bill.  My son, wife, and I all agreed the wings at those two restaurants in Bellingham were better than any of the three flavors we got at Bar Bill.  As a Buffalo native, it was disappointing.  

I want Buffalo to be the superlative in all things wings.  But I went to Duff's once on a visit back home and ordered the Death Wings.  They were hot but I ate them.   On the other hand, I once ordered the 7-Alarm wings at the Wing Dome in Seattle.  I barely finished one and swore - with tears in my eyes - that I'd never consume anything with hot sauce ever again. 

Whenever I'm back in Buffalo, there are a few things I try to hit: pizza, wings, beef-on-weck, and Parkside Candy (I love the store itself more than the offerings but I do love chocolate).    The pizza is probably my biggest pleasure of the four.  

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I haven't visited any cities that I find especially good at wings, just particular restaurants here and there.

For example, I visited my daughter in Bellingham, WA once when she was going to school there.  We had wings for an appetizer at a Thai restaurant that were so good we had to order another serving.  The following day, we had wings at a Brazilian place that specialized in wings/chicken.  The wings themselves were unexceptional except that they came with a variety of tasty & interesting dipping sauces.  

A week later, we were in Buffalo (Clarence) at Bar Bill.  My son, wife, and I all agreed the wings at those two restaurants in Bellingham were better than any of the three flavors we got at Bar Bill.  As a Buffalo native, it was disappointing.  

I want Buffalo to be the superlative in all things wings.  But I went to Duff's once on a visit back home and ordered the Death Wings.  They were hot but I ate them.   On the other hand, I once ordered the 7-Alarm wings at the Wing Dome in Seattle.  I barely finished one and swore - with tears in my eyes - that I'd never consume anything with hot sauce ever again. 

Whenever I'm back in Buffalo, there are a few things I try to hit: pizza, wings, beef-on-weck, and Parkside Candy (I love the store itself more than the offerings but I do love chocolate).    The pizza is probably my biggest pleasure of the four.  

As a chicken wing guy are you looking more for how well it's cooked or the sauce/flavor?

Obviously a combo of both but are you looking for regular medium, hot , BBQ? Or like a new fangled honey garlic sriracha or citrus lime chipotle wing?

On 5/20/2024 at 3:12 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Western NY is one of the worst pizza markets in the country.  I love the city and the Bills but man the pizza sucks.  

I won't eat local WNY style pizza, only NY style pizza places that are nearby my AirBNB.  

Buffalo pizza is too much dough and not enough sauce.  It's yuck.

Also, buffalo sauce is not that good....it's aight.  Give me lemon pepper or garlic parmesan....I had cracked pepper and sea salt last night and it was great.  

giphy.gif

On second thought, maybe you should put all your savings into that time share in Destin we were talking about.

Desi's Pizzeria is criminally underrated, and they have some of the best subs and calzones in the country.

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe you went on a bad day, which does happen there. From my experience living in seattle, nothing came remotely close to wings from Buffalo, but then again, I haven't been to those places in Bellingham. Nine-eleven tavern is the gold standard for me. If I'm going to a pizza shop for wings, I actually love La Nova, as touristy as that may seem.

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Desi's Pizzeria is criminally underrated, and they have some of the best subs and calzones in the country.

Maybe you went on a bad day, which does happen there. From my experience living in seattle, nothing came remotely close to wings from Buffalo, but then again, I haven't been to those places in Bellingham. Nine-eleven tavern is the gold standard for me. If I'm going to a pizza shop for wings, I actually love La Nova, as touristy as that may seem.

Agree on Nine-eleven. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 4:12 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Western NY is one of the worst pizza markets in the country.  I love the city and the Bills but man the pizza sucks.  

I won't eat local WNY style pizza, only NY style pizza places that are nearby my AirBNB.  

Buffalo pizza is too much dough and not enough sauce.  It's yuck.

Also, buffalo sauce is not that good....it's aight.  Give me lemon pepper or garlic parmesan....I had cracked pepper and sea salt last night and it was great.  

giphy.gif

agree on WNY pizza. disagree on buffalo sauce. I love buffalo sauce, tho my favorite wing sauce is a gochujang sauce that I make. 

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Bar Bill in Clarence kinda sucks. My friends and I have been many times, but stopped going after worse and worse experiences. Bar Bill in East Auora is still fantastic though. As is M&H across the street from it (EA location). 

Edited by BarleyNY

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

As a chicken wing guy are you looking more for how well it's cooked or the sauce/flavor?

Obviously a combo of both but are you looking for regular medium, hot , BBQ? Or like a new fangled honey garlic sriracha or citrus lime chipotle wing?

Of course, flavor is more important than spice level.  But I'm not a traditionalist.  I'll make or otherwise eat classic Buffalo Wings made with Frank's Redhot from time to time.   But I really enjoy more inventive, "new fangled" recipes with better (IMHO) flavor profiles.  And this is where some non-Buffalo restaurants occasionally shine.  

I suppose it's a weird tradition, but I eat wings virtually every week during the football season when I sit down to watch the Bills.  Sometimes the wife either makes them or orders them.  When I make them myself, gochujang (fermented spicy Korean chili paste) is almost always an ingredient. 

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

La Nova is a place that's been on my Buffalo list for a long while for both pizza and wings.  I've never been to Nine-eleven or Desi's but maybe they get added to the list.  And I'll give Bar Bill another chance whenever I visit Buffalo next. 

Both my brothers are Duff's guys and I do like Duff's.  While Duff's hottest wings aren't as spicy as Wing Dome's in Seattle, Duff's is better overall.  I don't recall any great Buffalo-style wings when I lived in Seattle, but I did have many good Asian-style.  

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

On second thought, maybe you should put all your savings into that time share in Destin we were talking about.

Nashville I am thinking now.  Better pizza.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

agree on WNY pizza. disagree on buffalo sauce. I love buffalo sauce, tho my favorite wing sauce is a gochujang sauce that I make. 

I used to love buffalo sauce but I guess too much of it, I kinda am over it.  Kinda like Pearl Jam.  I will still listen to them if they're on, like I won't skip forward but I don't seek them out.  Kinda burned out.