Any grill masters?

21 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

After having your first sous vide steak you will never want one done any other way. I’ve been doing it that way for 12+ years now. It might take a time or two to dial each cut/grade in to your exact liking, but the results are well worth it. And for what steak costs the investment of a precision cooker so the job is always done right is relatively minor. Plus it’s so good for so much more. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak

I was a big sous vide guy, and still use it for some applications, but I have gone back to tossing my steaks on the charcoal grill.  The volatile compounds/flavors you get from meat juices and fat hitting hot coals is amazing and irreplaceable in my opinion.  In comparison, sous vide steaks can feel like they're missing some soul.  A little too perfect.  I still have yet to try searing a sous vide steak over a chimney starter.  Maybe that will be the best of both worlds? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I was a big sous vide guy, and still use it for some applications, but I have gone back to tossing my steaks on the charcoal grill.  The volatile compounds/flavors you get from meat juices and fat hitting hot coals is amazing and irreplaceable in my opinion.  In comparison, sous vide steaks can feel like they're missing some soul.  A little too perfect.  I still have yet to try searing a sous vide steak over a chimney starter.  Maybe that will be the best of both worlds? 

Totally understand that. Steaks cooked sous vide and then seared on a charcoal grill is my preferred method. It really is worth it for the flavor and aroma. Highly recommend. 

You can do some amazing things blending smoking and sous vide too (sometimes called sous vide Q). 

Edited by BarleyNY

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Totally understand that. Steaks cooked sous vide and then seared on a charcoal grill is my preferred method. It really is worth it for the flavor and aroma. Highly recommend. 

You can do some amazing things blending smoking and sous vide too (sometimes called sous vide Q). 

Sous Vide Q is mostly what I'm using sous vide for these days.  Sous vide Q has been an amazing trick for tailgate/camping.  Having a few racks of ribs, a pork shoulder, even a whole brisket already perfectly cooked that only needs to get reheated on a grill for a few minutes is a game changer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Thank you all for the suggestions 

I'm sure you all know what you're talking about and I took everything into account 

It was definitely the best steak I have ever made personally in my life so I appreciate it

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 5:42 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Went to my local butcher yesterday... And I copped a 20 ounce dry aged bourbon infused ribeye steak 

Damn I'm so excited but admittedly I'm not a grill Master 

What is the best way to prepare this not cheap steak.. and make it the best way possible 

Please and thank you

First things first. Pay the $ 8 a month to get the blue check mark on Twitter. Put this exact question on Twitter, with about 10 follow up questions each in a separate thread. 

Collect more than enough money from clicks to pay for your steak. 

For those that don’t know, people looking for engagement on twitter only post in questions that EVERYONE will have an opinion on, and that EVERYONE (me included) wants the world to know how smart they and will reply and otherwise engage with the tweet. 

On 5/7/2024 at 11:07 AM, Jauronimo said:

I  was a big sous vide guy for 2 inch plus steaks as well. But now that kids are gone and my fat ass is retired , I reverse sear on the Egg 90% of the time cause I gots the time to do it!  

Only time I sous vide a steak now is if I want to start directly from frozen. 

and yes, if I do sous vide,  if just one steak for wife and me, I put the Egg grill grate right on top of the starter and sear there. I have actually just brought  just that set up for small tailgates and do steaks for steak Sammy’s in the lot. No need to lug a grill. 

On 5/7/2024 at 2:11 PM, Jauronimo said:

Sous Vide Q is mostly what I'm using sous vide for these days.  Sous vide Q has been an amazing trick for tailgate/camping.  Having a few racks of ribs, a pork shoulder, even a whole brisket already perfectly cooked that only needs to get reheated on a grill for a few minutes is a game changer.

You and I sound like we are on a similar cooking journey. I do this as well now for tailgates. I know it’s blasphemy, but I am not a rib guy, so for tailgates mostly butts or brisket. 

But what I do different is  instead of grilling again, I vacuum seal the brisket with some the liquid gold   ( point and flat in separate bags) and then reheat in a hot pot  of water at the tailgate. For the brisket, no doubt this method will result in a not crispy bark, but damn you can not tell that stuff did come

of the smoker that day. Brisket I leave as whole as possible before sealing, pork gets sealed already pulled. Bonus is they can go from frozen as well, so can make your brisket for the home opener today if ya like!

Ribs I agree on the grill way better way to reheat. 

I   do this now for when we have people , takes the “ game day worry away”. All I have to time is getting the water to temp! 

But  my question back to you. Do you smoke before the bath or after? I have always done after, but seems like that is split down the middle. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2024 at 2:11 PM, Jauronimo said:

We Sous Vide our wings for game day and then grill them in the lot. Come out super juicy and crispy.  Cooking fresh wings takes too much time and run the risk of being over cooked.

• Like (+1) 3

On 5/6/2024 at 6:01 PM, Jauronimo said:

Salt your steak liberally hours before you intend to cook it or even the night before

Lots of people will tell you this is incorrect.  Most chefs would season 15 minutes or so before you cook.

Salt draws moisture out of the meat and it will be too dry if you salt it forever.

Use crushed sea salt; any other type of salt is just a scam.

I would NOT buy meat "infused with bourbon" or whatever it is you have there.  You can't control that and if you want to soak meat in bourbon, do it yourself where you can control the process and the quality of the bourbon.

The key is to crank up the heat really, really high, and sear the sides to build up a crust that will seal in juices.

I'm guessing you have a thick cut of meat there, once you have a good crust lower the heat and finish cooking so that you have medium rare at the center, which is the ONLY way to enjoy a gorgeous steak especially if thick.

One of the most important parts of the process, totally ignored by most backyard grillers, is to let the meat "REST" for a solid 15 minutes especially if it's a big thick steak.  It relaxes the meat and all the juices go back into the tissue of the meat.  Makes each bite noticeably more juicy and delicious.

I stopped grilling steaks a couple years back.  Wait, what?

My old Weber (propane) finally crapped out, so I bought a new, huge, Weber with the sear station and all of that jazz -- then had this epiphany that my steaks, while cooked exactly they way I wanted them, on the inside, were sorely lacking the sear that I was seeking.  Plus, after having steaks cooked on charcoal, the difference was palpable.  (The Weber is great for most other stuff, so I still use it a lot.)

IOW, I echo the sentiments about sous vide.  I'll sous vide to about 120F or so, then hit it in screaming-hot cast iron for 1-2 minutes per side to finish.  For those who've never sous vide, a lengthy hot water bath tends to give meat a grayish appearance -- tho it's cooked on the inside.

Regardless, I keep it simple with salt, pepper, and olive oil, maybe 1TB of butter in a cast iron pan, and that does the trick -- after a 15-minute rest.  Favorites are boneless ribeyes and NY strips.  I've started getting into tri-tip lately.

And, yes, I agree with everyone who mentioned Thermapen (even a generic one): FTW.

I have a grill and a pellet smoker.  I've thought about a Green Egg or maybe getting another Smokey Joe, but I'm conflicted -- I'm also looking at a tandoor -- because the tandoor should be able to do everything the GE can... and more.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Lots of people will tell you this is incorrect.  Most chefs would season 15 minutes or so before you cook.

Salt draws moisture out of the meat and it will be too dry if you salt it forever.

I would NOT buy meat "infused with bourbon" or whatever it is you have there.  You can't control that and if you want to soak meat in bourbon, do it yourself where you can control the process and the quality of the bourbon.

The key is to crank up the heat really, really high, and sear the sides to build up a crust that will seal in juices.

I'm guessing you have a thick cut of meat there, once you have a good crust lower the heat and finish cooking so that you have medium rare at the center, which is the ONLY way to enjoy a gorgeous steak especially if thick.

One of the most important parts of the process, totally ignored by most backyard grillers, is to let the meat "REST" for a solid 15 minutes especially if it's a big thick steak.  It relaxes the meat and all the juices go back into the tissue of the meat.  Makes each bite noticeably more juicy and delicious.

It's not injected with bourbon it's dry aged with bourbon it's just called bourbon infused

Which is normal, a lot of butchers do that now... Dry aging or more specifically a bourbon dry age is very popular now

It's not like they just injected it with whiskey lol 

It's from literally one of the best butchers in Western New York and everything they have fly off the shelves including those dry aged bourbon ribeyes.. which honestly was the best steak I ever had 

It certainly was not a gimmick

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I can tell you from experience that is not at all what happens.  But if you would prefer to read from another source see the link below.

https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-pan-seared-steaks-recipe#:~:text=Moral of the story%3A If,worst way to do it.

Also, searing doesn't seal in any juices.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 2

Thanks to all of your advice and the amazing steak I grilled 

I went back to the butcher and picked up an entire New York strip loin.. USDA Angus prime beef 

Since I got the entire loin it came out the 10.99 a pound which is tremendous for USDA Angus prime beef

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thanks to all of your advice and the amazing steak I grilled 

I went back to the butcher and picked up an entire New York strip loin.. USDA Angus prime beef 

Since I got the entire loin it came out the 10.99 a pound which is tremendous for USDA Angus prime beef

How did you cook your ribeye?

Whats the plan for the whole strip loin?

27 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How did you cook your ribeye?

Whats the plan for the whole strip loin?

I did a reverse sear finished on a hot charcoal grill using a meat thermometer 

And I got them cut in 20 oz strips 😁😁😁

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/11/2024 at 7:26 AM, plenzmd1 said:

But  my question back to you. Do you smoke before the bath or after? I have always done after, but seems like that is split down the middle. 

I prefer to smoke most meats - especially pulled or shredded meats- before the bath. The smoke gets in the bag jus and when I add some back to the meat it gives it the smokiness I want. I’m not one for bark on pulled meats so that’s not an issue for me. But I do take some cuts to the grill for a sear at the end. Ribs are an exception. Gotta smoke after for the right exterior. I still finish them over a flame to caramelize the sauce. 

• Like (+1) 2

I smoke everything and i have also tried to smoke everything..........some things work, and others don't.

Smoked salmon or trout, no problem, however, never smoke bass (tried it and there's a reason why no one ever eats smoked bass cause it's beyond terrible).

Ribs, pork chops and sausages are still a fan favorite to smoke.... filet mignon, however, is not. I tried it last weekend and it was horrible and in fact, there's not too many beef products that are even too good to smoke, besides brisket or beef ribs......cuts of steak rarely work out well.

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

I smoke everything and i have also tried to smoke everything..........some things work, and others don't.

Smoked salmon or trout, no problem, however, never smoke bass (tried it and there's a reason why no one ever eats smoked bass cause it's beyond terrible).

Ribs, pork chops and sausages are still a fan favorite to smoke.... filet mignon, however, is not. I tried it last weekend and it was horrible and in fact, there's not too many beef products that are even too good to smoke, besides brisket or beef ribs......cuts of steak rarely work out well.

Sorry to follow you around. 😔 

That shi... sounds expensive!  Even in the Aldi meat department. 

But I can't help myself... Dude, you really should have your wife do that.

😉 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sweats said:

Smoke a nice 2 pound tri tip

On 5/6/2024 at 6:27 PM, GoBills808 said:

ngl grilling isnt as foolproof as my method ive been developing for a couple yrs now

get your steak to room temp and then s&p

throw it in a hot cast iron on stovetop w butter and smashed up garlic cloves for about 1 min/side, basting the whole time

then put the cast iron into 400degree oven, 5-7mins depending on how you like it

take it out and put it on cutting board, let it sit for about 10mins

Have successfully used similar method for perfectly medium tenderloin. I wouldn’t leave garlic in the oil to burn and get bitter, but rather infuse the oil/butter with garlic first, then remove the clove from the pan before adding the meat. Also, some aromatics and as previously mentioned are a nice touch. Baste with butter from pan. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:11 PM, Sweats said:

Agree 100%.  If it's too lean it can get gross on the smoker.  A couple of years ago I had a few pounds of ground venison.  "Make burgers," I said to myself.  "Smoked burgers are great!"  Boy, was I wrong.  Dry, awful, inedible.

I might try this again, now that we have our own grinder.  I'll probably just add in some fat during the grinding process and this should correct the issue.

With pork tenderloin (minus the silver skin), as an example, I'll to a dry rub and let sit in the fridge for a few hours.  Smoking to temp @225 heat works nicely.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, this past weekend i smoked a tomahawk steak and i have to say it turned out real nice. I was a little hesitant at first when i'm buying a piece of steak for $100, but it turned out fantastic......i suspect it was due to the extra fat in the meat which gave it some really good flavor.

I'm definitely adding this one to the repertoire.

• Like (+1) 1