Any grill masters?

On 5/19/2024 at 10:24 AM, TheCockSportif said:

Agree 100%.  If it's too lean it can get gross on the smoker.  A couple of years ago I had a few pounds of ground venison.  "Make burgers," I said to myself.  "Smoked burgers are great!"  Boy, was I wrong.  Dry, awful, inedible.

I might try this again, now that we have our own grinder.  I'll probably just add in some fat during the grinding process and this should correct the issue.

With pork tenderloin (minus the silver skin), as an example, I'll to a dry rub and let sit in the fridge for a few hours.  Smoking to temp @225 heat works nicely.

I have a smoked burger that I make that’s really good but have to use 80/20 ground for exactly the reason you mentioned. I bet next time they’ll be much better if you get some extra fat in there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I have a smoked burger that I make that’s really good but have to use 80/20 ground for exactly the reason you mentioned. I bet next time they’ll be much better if you get some extra fat in there. 

I also just smoked 4lbs of home ground pork butt -- for breakfast sausages.  Simple recipe, LOTS of fat on the pork butt, zest of two oranges, toasted then hand ground fennel, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper.  Then I made them into 1/4 lb patties before smoking for 45 minutes @ 225F.

Edited by TheCockSportif
  • Awesome! (+1) 1