Question or topic of the day - a new idea for the board

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The anticipation of this launch has me stoked!!!

Don’t get TOO excited. Eventually we will know if we did enough to address the WR position, and then we’ll have absolutely nothing to bitc…..talk about. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 10:33 AM, BuffaloBill said:

For periods of the offseason new threads can be limited in number.  To supplement new threads, I want to propose an idea if seven+ of you are interested.

The idea is simple:

• Early AM of your assigned day you will create a thread - the question or topic of the day
  • Identify the thread by staring it with “QOD -“ (for Question of the Day) 
  • You may volunteer to take one weekday. You become responsible for that weekday. So, if you are unavailable (vacation or whatnot) an alternate for the day will be identified.  The two of you will need to coordinate to make sure your topic is ready
  • If you want out, period, after being assigned a day, PM me and a replacement will be identified
  • A mod will pin the thread
  • People will respond in the thread as normal
  • the next day the pin will be unpinned (replaced) - posters may continue to respond as normal here.
  • To make the selection process as fair as possible, the most senior board participants will be given first dibs. Additionally, it will be my discretion to eliminate you from selection if your warning history is indicative of potential problems.
  • We will try this until the start of camp to see how it works
  • If popular enough maybe we continue it beyond then
  • If this process becomes in any way problematic for the community, the mods, or SDS it will be eliminated as a board practice
  • If there is not enough interest to get seven days of coverage the idea will die a natural death 

PM me if you are interested.  If you have preference for a particular day (i.e. you want Tuesday only) please note this in the message.  Also, if you have an alternate that you prefer to work with please let me know.

Thanks.

Question of the Day:

Is an idea really simple if it has 12 bullet points?

And……go!

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Complex solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist 

Seriously, what kind of perspective is this? There's nothing complex about it. There's no problem being searched for. It's simply a moderator who runs the site trying to initiate something that he thinks would be enjoyable for other Bills fans. Why would you be "searching" for a reason to be against it? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll chime in.  I think this is a good idea.  

There clearly are some periods when there are few new threads being created, and threads just get kind of stale.  

I don't think it's correct that that happens because everything that could be said has been said.  I think with a little creativity, people will think of topics that are interesting to talk about.    If the POD will be pinned only one day.  If it's boring, it will fall off the first page sooner or later.  If it's interesting, it will hang around.  

Questions like:

List three things you'd change to make the Bills better.  Three sentence limit.  

List three for offense.   List three for defense.

Which team will be the toughest competition in the AFCE?

Has McBeane's roster gotten better, overall, every season they've had the job?

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Seriously, what kind of perspective is this? There's nothing complex about it. There's no problem being searched for. It's simply a moderator who runs the site trying to initiate something that he thinks would be enjoyable for other Bills fans. Why would you be "searching" for a reason to be against it? 

The board is fine the way it is. Posts move up, posts move down. If a topic is interesting enough by the site as whole it stats at the top.

Why try to declare or engineer a topic of the day? 

If it is a good topic it becomes topic of the day by default.

1 hour ago, Robert Paulson said:

The board is fine the way it is. Posts move up, posts move down. If a topic is interesting enough by the site as whole it stats at the top.

If it is a good topic it becomes topic of the day by default.

Because people would enjoy it. Don't know why this would be an issue for anybody.

Will Drake Maye be broken by the Jets and Bills defence? In my opinion yes.

Will Keon Coleman make at least one acrobatic one handed catch next season? Imo Yes.

Does rolling Rogers out really give Jets fans hope? I hope not because Imo it shouldn't. 

Dolphins being scary? I really hope not.

The team retooled. How mad will Bills fans be if the road to playoffs is rocky? 

5 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Because during the ordinary course of most the season, new threads appear naturally.   Like, during the season, during the first few weeks of free agency, and for five or six weeks before and after the draft.   However, there are a few periods, like between free agency and the draft, and after OTAs until training camp, when there may only be two or three new threads in a week.  That happens because there's no news, so the naturally occurring threads dry up.  But that doesn't mean there's nothing to talk about; it just means that no one is actually spending a few minutes to think about what might be worth discussing.   This is a way to encourage a few posters to be a little creative and find things to talk about. 

In the old days, the players and coaches would take those periods off, too.  It wasn't because there wasn't anything to do; it was only that no one had bothered to think about what they could be doing.  Some posters don't to take that time off, either.  

Primarily, however, what difference does it make?   There's a post of the day every day and if no one is interested, each day the post of the day from earlier days will fall off page one and be gone.   If the posts of the day aren't falling off the first page, it will mean either that (1) those threads are attracting posters or (2) no one is interested in talking about any of the other threads.  In other words, the posts of the day either will create things to talk about or will demonstrate that there truly is nothing to talk about. 

• Like (+1) 1

I like this idea, yet have another that will over time increase the board quality and overall enjoyment for all. 

We have a poll a day that we all get to vote on to eliminate one poster a day from the board. TBD: Survivor Mode, so to speak. Those added to the poll are the top 5 people that received thumbs down or the like votes or started topics that were of the "Let's Trade Josh Allen to the Bears" level. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I like this idea, yet have another that will over time increase the board quality and overall enjoyment for all. 

We have a poll a day that we all get to vote on to eliminate one poster a day from the board. TBD: Survivor Mode, so to speak. Those added to the poll are the top 5 people that received thumbs down or the like votes or started topics that were of the "Let's Trade Josh Allen to the Bears" level. 

My outside the box thinking might get me in trouble here, lol  (never to that level)

I did have a similar thread/ post suggestion awhile back for PPP. To many thumbs down gets thread/ post locked or deleted.To many post locked/deleted sends the poster on vacation. Something like that anyway...

Might be best If we leave the elimination part to the mod/admin,

Its why they get paid the big bucks. ;  )

Edited by Figster
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The suspense is really starting to eat me up... what's the next step?

You tell @BuffaloBill what day of the week you want, then think of clever ideas to entertain us.

Make me laugh, funny man!  😂 

You try new ideas all the time. There is nothing to lose here, so why not? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 4:11 PM, TheWeatherMan said:

@BuffaloBill In essence this is a board and we are members, therefore I contend that you only accept those nominated by a single member and confirmed via a minimum of 10 thumbs up post nomination.  Make it a democracy!  

Fair assessment, but have you seen the quality of threads lately?  I support 90% of them being knocked down 😂 

Understand what you're saying, but any committee attempting to determine the "quality" of any given topic just seems kind of arbitrary.  If a topic doesn't interest anyone, skip over it.  Is a little "clutter" on the board enough justification to adopt the draconian measure of limiting discussion to just one approved topic per day?  To me, anyhow, the answer is 'no'.  As an aside, appreciate all that the mods & contributors do - wouldn't want that task.

Edited by ChasBB
Spelling & grammar
  • Agree 1