Is it true the Bills didn’t “do enough” at WR to compete for championships?

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Wrong argument. WR isn't what will hold back the Bills from a championship. Defensive star power and depth will do that.

the Ravens Eagles and Niners have had PLENTY of defensive star power and all came up short.  

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Wrong argument. WR isn't what will hold back the Bills from a championship. Defensive star power and depth will do that.

Ugh, we are doomed in so many ways. 

Do you think they will even show up for training camp? I mean, why?   🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

the Ravens Eagles and Niners have had PLENTY of defensive star power and all came up short.  

And what does that tell you? It tell me they didn't have enough and they didn't play up to their talent level.

The Niners and eagles also happened to have two of the best WR groups in the league and the Ravens were very strong as well. That didn't matter at all.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

And what does that tell you? It tell me they didn't have enough and they didn't play up to their talent level.

The Niners and eagles also happened to have two of the best WR groups in the league and the Ravens were very strong as well. That didn't matter at all.

it tells me that Mahomes + Kelce = Victory in big moments and big games.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Ugh, we are doomed in so many ways. 

Do you think they will even show up for training camp? I mean, why?   🤷‍♂️

Because they'll get paid for it and because they'll all be able to lie to themselves if they have a 10-12 win season that they have a shot at a Lombardi.

You're probably right though. It's clear people holding water for this regime the last 5 years have been right. I mean, look at all that hardware they've collected.

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

it tells me that Mahomes + Kelce = Victory in big moments and big games.

So, then you would think the key to victory would be stopping that right?

Clearly, you can't outperform them, as a lot of teams have tried and none have succeeded except Tom Brady.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

Because they'll get paid for it and because they'll all be able to lie to themselves if they have a 10-12 win season that they have a shot at a Lombardi.

You're probably right though. It's clear people holding water for this regime the last 5 years have been right. I mean, look at all that hardware they've collected.

Bless your heart.   😋

I’ve been in the South for a while now. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Me too. People haven't said that here in 50 years, but keep on keeping on brother.

You realize the South is a big place, right? I heard it just last week. That’s a fact. 

It’s actually used quite commonly, but not in a flattering way. For those of you familiar with DCTom……..yep. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You don't construct teams headed by the likes of J Goff or B Purdy the same way if you have a Josh "Freakin" Allen! 

Josh is arguably one of the best ever at firing 25-30 yard downfield lasers.  And the boundary WRs that are penciled in for 2024 for this extreme talent are 1 rookie?  Are you kidding me? 

I don't believe it actually, but a lot of you do and are seemingly fine with it.  I can only hope that the lack of uproar over the pathetic WR group doesn't affect the FO and they decide they can get away with rolling this mess out.

I wouldn’t  call The group of Kincaid, Samuel and Shakir add our 1st rp Colman Pathetic , the 2018-2019 group was pathetic 

Edited by Putin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Me too. People haven't said that here in 50 years, but keep on keeping on brother.

You're just not talking to the right people. I still hear it now and again.

There's a kind of reactive impulse on these boards. Folks with radically different takes feel compelled to object, but no one persuades.

It's a kind of Sisyphean exercise where individuals mutually accuse the other of obtuseness. I find it amusing in a darkly wry manner, even though often enough I indulge that wicked energy.

Anyway, if the WR experiment fails, we can look forward to a recapitulation of the last draft, with folks urging the use of accumulated draft capital for a top tier WR, and you and your cohorts preaching DE, CB, and the like. Joy, isn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

This board really does crack me up.  The Bills’ projected top 4 WR of Coleman, Shakir, Samuel, and Hollins (I love the people sleeping on him) is as good as we’ve had here in some time.  NOBODY with a brain thinks the 8 guys they have brought in to compete for spots #5 and 6 are making a difference in any way besides special teams.  Add a blue chipper in Kincaid, along with Cook, Knox, and Ray Davis, and there is absolutely NO reason to think this team doesn’t have an offense capable of scoring almost at will.

The Bills’ top 5 projected “pass catchers” going into this season easily rival any of the teams I mentioned, save SF.

Some of you just love to complain.

you think Coleman-Shakir-Samuel-hollins is “as good as anyone we have had here in some time”?

22 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

So, then you would think the key to victory would be stopping that right?

Clearly, you can't outperform them, as a lot of teams have tried and none have succeeded except Tom Brady.

There’s kind of a fallacious argument when Mahomes is 15-3 in the postseason against everyone. 

There’s obviously not tried and true method to stopping them. Offensively or defensively.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

you think Coleman-Shakir-Samuel-hollins is “as good as anyone we have had here in some time”?

If Colman  becomes our #1WR i

Samuel is probably the best # 2 WR we’ve had here in a while 

and Shakir as # 3 WR is pretty darn good IMO 

add our  two TE’s and Cook out of the backfield  i feel good about this group 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Putin said:

If Colman  becomes our #1WR i

Samuel is probably the best # 2 WR we’ve had here in a while 

and Shakir as # 3 WR is pretty darn good IMO 

add our  two TE’s and Cook out of the backfield  i feel good about this group 

I’ll contain it to the top 4 WR still as that was the claim - 

written another way… 

are we thinking rookie WR7 is a top 15 receiver in the league and Samuel is an upgrade of note despite being much cheaper than the guy he’s replacing? 

i think both players will have fun flashes but I think saying this is our best group is perhaps…. Optimistic. 

There's nothing anyone can say to convince me this isn't a very weak WR room. 

We are putting so much pressure on Kincaid and Coleman to be very good and I'll continue saying Shakir and Samuel are decent complimentary pieces but nothing more. 

I envision a lot of struggles on offense this year. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, JoshAllin said:

Josh has the experience now to make any of the receivers special, so I feel the bills are fine at wr right now

Sure why not. It’s fine like it’s been fine the last 5 years. Who wants a Lombardi anyway. Can’t even drink out of that thing. 

7 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

They did not do enough at WR. You have JA17 as your friggin QB, he needs as many targets and downfield threats as possible. Instead you traded away his #1 and his #2 left in FA and really didn’t replace either. Samuel you can argue may replace Davis, but there is definitely no #1 in that building.

Knox is invisible, Kincaid has cement hands, Cook drops too many easy balls, and you have no idea what you’re getting from the rookie Coleman. You can’t compete for a championship when the Bills always address the WR position as they do. You can, however, compete for an early playoff exit which they consistently do. 

you lost me at “Kincaid has cement hands”

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

If Brady proves he is close to the offensive genius that is Kyle Shanahan, I agree the group of weapons inherently looks a lot better, especially since we have Allen not Purdy. I'm just not convinced Brady is close to that level. I'll say this though, I have more confidence that Brady - with a full offseason to install his own offense and coming off a couple years of NFL OC experience - will raise his coaching prowess substantially, than I do that say Mack Hollins will suddenly turn into a starting caliber outside WR.

But like I said above we are talking about a LOT of best case scenario outcomes that need to come true for this offense to be at a championship level. Something like Brady proves he is a top 5 coach, Kincaid proves capable of being a #1 target, Coleman hits the ground running, Shakir proves he can take on like a 60% increase in his target share with a much smaller relative decrease to his target efficiency, and everyone on the OL stays healthy and plays the best football of their careers.

I wish that instead of betting on several best case scenarios we had instead made it the priority of the offseason to over-invest in the offense because throwing a lot of talent at the problem would have been the easiest route to success. As it stands I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a post-6/1 or trade deadline addition of a legit talent. Otherwise the most likely outcome is that the offense is a bit of slog this year, we perform even worse in the playoffs than usual, and we enter 2025 still needing one major investment to take the offense to a championship level.

Oh I agree. I would have much preferred a slower off ramp for Diggs. If Brady had a year to try out his scheme, to slowly ramp up Coleman I'd be feeling a lot more confident than I do now.

But with the pieces available, and looking at examples that could make this work, this is the clearest vision my untrained and ignorant fan brain can kick out 

• Agree 1