Top Remaining Free Agents of Interest

ngbills

47 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

While I do tend to believe that he doesn't want to spend premium Draft Picks for the privilege to sign a Tee Higgins or Brandon Aiyuk to a MONSTER long term contract - I see it as close to a 0% chance that we don't use some of Tre's money to sign one of the top remaining Outside WR's or trade for one that is on a manageable short term contract.

I would be absolutely floored if we didn't add on the Outside.

But one of Gallup, OBJ, Chark, MVS, and Thomas are 1000% in play. Who knows who else could surprisingly become available via surprise cut or surprise trade. But don't panic in April. I expect the Leonard Floyd to the DE room from last season to come to the WR room before Week 1.

Good to see someone on board.

While Beane may not want to spend draft capital and big money, he will have access to both.  The Bills now have an extra 2 and 4th and will have Tre money and a possible Josh restructure to fund one.

A good WR is the critical add this off-season.  I want better than OBJ

20 minutes ago, Cash said:

In order of my preference:

1. Odell Beckham Jr - His last 2 stops have been highly successful (except for the injuries) as a mercenary receiver.  Dude will be an injury risk for the rest of his career I think, but he can still play.  And it's hard to go wrong with a guy who likely would've won a Super Bowl MVP if he didn't get hurt.  I would have no problem with him mentoring Coleman, also.  This is the only guy worth spending the Tre White money on, IMO.
  2. DJ Chark - I liked him a lot coming into the draft, and he did have some early production in Jacksonville.  Size/speed guy who hasn't fully put it together, but also hasn't played with a QB nearly as good as Allen.
  3. Michael Thomas - His injury history makes Beckham look like Cal Ripken Jr.  I don't think he'll ever play a full season again.  But he's a guy who has been ELITE, and he showed some real flashes of his old self at times last season.  He also disappeared a lot last season, but I'm not sure how much of that was because his relationship with the Saints was completely broken a couple years ago.  On a 1 year deal, could he be both healthy and fully bought in?

Gallup was the only other guy that interested me, and according to this thread he's off the market.  1 year, $3 million is about what I'd offer Chark or Thomas.  Beckham will ask for (and get) significantly more than that.

No matter what, I'll be super interested to see how the Bills spend the June 1st money.  I'll be shocked if they don't sign someone with a decent chunk of it.  But they could split it on maybe 2 Gallup-level signings, or put it all towards a bigger Beckham or Leonard Floyd-style signing, maybe with the help of void years.  I think who they DON'T sign will be just as telling as who they do.

OBJ makes sense.  His skill set would round out the WR room.  Deep threat that can still soften up the defense.  Potentially 5 guys with 600+ receiving yards next season plus 2 RB’s who are a threat out of backfield.  1 year $7m with some incentives.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I would be surprised if Buffalo grabbed another receiver. I'm only going based on what Beane has been saying about liking the WR room as it is. I think the fact that he didn't grab 2 guys in what was supposed to be a historically deep WR class tells me all I need to know about how he values that need. 

I wouldn't. I expect it.

As I said before, Beane talks out of both sides of his mouth *constantly*. I've had egg on my face around here numerous times taking him at his word. It's common knowledge and a talking point around the board that Beane lies (as do all GM').

So why are we so willing to take his word as gospel now? Especially when the hole is so obvious and in my opinion, the only real spot on the roster that needs an addition - when we have over 10m coming in a month?

Him not taking more than one WR in the Draft doesn't mean what you think it does, in my opinion. As I stated above, we came into this Draft with everything in our core covered - save for 2 Starters on the Outside.

We took one in Coleman at 33. But with what was available at 60 and beyond, you weren't getting a replacement for the other side. Nor do I think they'd have wanted to start two Rookies, even if they could.

Anyone Drafted at 60 or beyond would have only served to replace Justin Shorter (and whomever could potentially beat out Shorter) on the bottom of the roster, behind Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, and Hollins. They wouldn't have filled the hole we had adequately for this season, so they didn't bother.

The top remaining veteran FA (or someone who becomes available via surprise cut or manageable trade) can fill that role now. And I'd be shocked if he left it bare.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess that leaves just Tyler Boyd for me.

It won't be Tyler Boyd. Or Hunter Renfrow for that matter.

The hole is on the Perimeter. Boyd is a PURE Slot. We have more than we need there with Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid. Adding Boyd would just crowd that room more and remove reps from all those guys - while still leaving a gaping hole on the Outside needing to be filled.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

57 minutes ago, Chaos said:

What do people think the regimes goal is for 2024? Bills are rebuilding. They are going to play as many young players as starters and first off the bench as possible in order to determine who if any can contribute in 2025. 

That is it. This time around they are taking a different approach. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wouldn't. I expect it.

As I said before, Beane talks out of both sides of his mouth *constantly*. I've had egg on my face around here numerous times taking him at his word. It's common knowledge and a talking point around the board that Beane lies (as do all GM').

So why are we so willing to take his word as gospel now? Especially when the hole is so obvious and in my opinion, the only real spot on the roster that needs an addition - when we have over 10m coming in a month?

Him not taking more than one WR in the Draft doesn't mean what you think it does, in my opinion. As I stated above, we came into this Draft with everything in our core covered - save for 2 Starters on the Outside.

We took one in Coleman at 33. But with what was available at 60 and beyond, you weren't getting a replacement for the other side. Nor do I think they'd have wanted to start two Rookies, even if they could.

Anyone Drafted at 60 or beyond would have only served to replace Justin Shorter (and whomever could potentially beat out Shorter) on the bottom of the roster, behind Coleman, Samuel, Shakir, and Hollins. They wouldn't have filled the hole we had adequately for this season, so they didn't bother.

The top remaining veteran FA (or someone who becomes available via surprise cut or manageable trade) can fill that role now. And I'd be shocked if he left it bare.

The hole is on the Perimeter. Boyd is a PURE Slot. We have more than we need there with Samuel, Shakir, and Kincaid. Adding Boyd would just crowd that room more and remove reps from all those guys - while still leaving a gaping hole on the Outside needing to be filled.

You make a great points about Beane and his double talk. I also agree with the need to get a true X, so I see what you're saying completely. I think with the cap and the roster the way they are I am "ok" with the idea of a rebuild or transition (whichever term Beane is using right now) so I'm that I'm rolling with watching their actions and not their words. I hope this makes sense. 

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I disagree. I think Boyd can play outside and inside just like Shakir. He has the size.

If it isn't Boyd, I wouldn't even bother with any of the other receivers. They are all JAGs. Just roll with what we have outside of potentially adding camp bodies.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Beyond that, Javon Solomon will surely have a spot on the 53. We don't outright cut 5th Rounders (and he shouldn't have lasted that long) and given his production in College, he has HUGE upside and is not a player I envision them thinking they can sneak on their PS.

I wanted Solomon from the get-go.  Love the draft pick in the 5th.  But this quote from an AFC scout is a bit sobering;

AFC scout: “He’s a better player than testing athlete. He didn’t run very fast. I think he lacks upside. He’s got a low ceiling. Rotational rusher. He’ll be on the fringe. He may get drafted but it’ll be close because of how poorly he ran at the combine.”

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

I disagree. I think Boyd can play outside and inside just like Shakir. He has the size.

If it isn't Boyd, I wouldn't even bother with any of the other receivers. They are all JAGs. Just roll with what we have outside of potentially adding camp bodies.

That's great that you think that. But that's not how the NFL works. It's like a fan saying they think a Guard can be converted to a Tackle, or a Nickel can be converted to a Boundary CB, a DT can be a Pass Rusher, a CB can be a Safety, etc.

Tyler Boyd has taken 81% of his total career snaps out of the Slot. And that's a swayed number as he did it a lot more in earlier seasons before they realized he wasn't suited for the role and has exclusively worked and succeeded from the Slot ever since.

He's even more of a Slot than Samuel is. Shakir is not an Outside WR either. Everyone wants to say he can play the role, but when we put him there in a pinch in the Playoffs when we were thin - he didn't produce.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 1

Current stance: 

none of them excite me or materially move the needle. 

I would wait til camp and see about cuts, late trades and if we have any injuries.

someone will roll an ankle but whether that is cook or Samuel changes need quite drastically and around cut day I think the available talent will also be better. 

once upon a time I thought we would consider a guy like Simmons June 1 but now? Probably wait til august before considering anything noteworthy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

What do people think the regimes goal is for 2024? Bills are rebuilding. They are going to play as many young players as starters and first off the bench as possible in order to determine who if any can contribute in 2025. 

Please

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's probably true.  But is this a Super Bowl roster?  

With Josh it’s always possible. Health and a few good bounces would go a long way towards that though. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

OBJ, Samuel, Shakir, Coleman with Kincaid and Knox would be upper tier.  There’s no true #1 WR but Houston, Baltimore, and Green Bay did fine without one.  

OBJ is everything this regime stands against.  They have handed this team to Josh.  Keon is his receiver.  Instead of last year, when he was Diggs' quarterback. OBJ brings drama, diva-esque ball demands, locker room entitlement, a declining skill set, and a salary demand outside of their range.  He aint coming.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's probably true.  But is this a Super Bowl roster?  

Yes, no, maybe.  We thought what we had and how we were doing it was a superbowl roster...and we were wrong.

It doesn't matter if it's a Superbowl roster right now. Every team must take a year or so to step back and retool and build for another run.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

OBJ is everything this regime stands against.  They have handed this team to Josh.  Keon is his receiver.  Instead of last year, when he was Diggs' quarterback. OBJ brings drama, diva-esque ball demands, locker room entitlement, a declining skill set, and a salary demand outside of their range.  He aint coming.

There’s an adjustment period for any rookie.  Expecting Coleman to be one of your top 2-3 WR’s early in the season risks throwing the season away.  OBJ has been a good soldier in LA and Baltimore and can carry a heavier load early in the season while Coleman gets acclimated.  

35 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

There’s an adjustment period for any rookie.  Expecting Coleman to be one of your top 2-3 WR’s early in the season risks throwing the season away.  OBJ has been a good soldier in LA and Baltimore and can carry a heavier load early in the season while Coleman gets acclimated.  

I don't disagree that he could catch a few passes and be somewhat reliable.  But i highly doubt he is under consideration for reasons both on and off the field.

Honestly one of the WRs left in free agency are appealing but at least with MVS and Chark we get a deep threat on the outside. OBJ gives the experience and still has a little left in the tank and I’ve always liked Corey Davis’ potential and even though he’s been a colossal bust, maybe playing with Josh would resurrect his career