UDFA signing thread. 10 Signed 5 camp invites as of 07:39, 28 April

MAJBobby

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I largely agree. While I think Van Demark is very likely to make it I do think Grable has a chance to dislodge him. They are similar player in terms of athletic profile. Vandy showed last pre-season that is very good at LT, but couldn't really get it at right tackle. If Grable can do both I think there is a world where they decide to go with him and a vet (I'm thinking specifically Collins in this space tbh). Equally given Beane mentioned Clapp specifically when asked about center the other day I wonder if he has a better shot in the building than we think. 

I'd definitely like the final 9 to be your predicted 8 and Grable. But will be interesting to see how it plays out. If they are all healthy can Beane maybe swing one of his trade for a day 3 pick tricks?

I don’t know, Van Denmark is a pure LT, so the Bills might think if Dawkins goes down, as the second most important part of the offense (LT), that they need someone who can step right in and be a solid LT and Van Denmark is probably it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah I agree with Grable possibly over Van Denmark. I like RVD, but this move allows you to kind of reset the minimum contract and you used a 6th on the guy. But instinct having seen very little of Grable is that there is a world in which they both make it. 

I have seen nothing of Grable myself but as I said in my day 3 debrief one of my spies who was at the Shrine Bowl week said he stood out in practices. If he has and kind of decent showing in pre-season (and maybe even if he doesn't) he is going to be very hard to sneak onto the PS. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I believe VDM is a good player and the Bills will hold him tight.   I can see a scenario where Brown is deemed a luxury and one of these tackles they are accumulating goes to RT, but they will keep Van Den Mark.   As strange as it seems I can see DDawk   going to RT, or LG and VDM being the LT.  

14 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

I believe VDM is a good player and the Bills will hold him tight.   I can see a scenario where Brown is deemed a luxury and one of these tackles they are accumulating goes to RT, but they will keep Van Den Mark.   As strange as it seems I can see DDawk   going to RT, or LG and VDM being the LT.  

Dawkins isn't making a ton of coin to be moved to LG or RT, but who knows. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I largely agree. While I think Van Demark is very likely to make it I do think Grable has a chance to dislodge him. They are similar player in terms of athletic profile. Vandy showed last pre-season that is very good at LT, but couldn't really get it at right tackle. If Grable can do both I think there is a world where they decide to go with him and a vet (I'm thinking specifically Collins in this space tbh). Equally given Beane mentioned Clapp specifically when asked about center the other day I wonder if he has a better shot in the building than we think. 

I'd definitely like the final 9 to be your predicted 8 and Grable. But will be interesting to see how it plays out. If they are all healthy can Beane maybe swing one of his trade for a day 3 pick tricks?

I would also prefer that Grable takes the 9th spot. In my mind the only way La'el Collins should make the team is if he dramatically outperforms Van Demark or Grable. Otherwise, go with the guys who are younger, cheaper and controlled longer. 

I do recall the mention of Will Clapp, but I didn't take that as Beane alluding to a better chance of making the roster than we think. It felt more like him saying they didn't feel any pressure to take a C as insurance for McGovern because they had already brought Clapp in. Same thing here for me, go with Van Pran-Granger (VPG) and take your chances with trying to put Clapp on the practice squad if you want the insurance after roster cut downs. 

For the record, I'm hopeful that VPG is able to play well enough at C to allow McGovern to move back to LG. I'll feel so much better about our offensive line if we're just replacing the C position and the rest is status quo. 

Dawkins (2027) - McGovern (2025) - Van Pran-Granger (2027) - Torrence (2026) - Brown (2024)

Van Demark (2025) - Edwards (2025) - Anderson (2025) - Grable (2027)

There's a chance this could be your OL room for 2024 and 2025 (possibly longer). Although I'm still somewhat skeptical we pursue an extension with Brown until after the season. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Both camps?

Yeah. These rookie tryout players try to get multiple invites. So few get invited to training camp. Andreesen was the rare bright spot for UB last year. He's a player McDermott likes. Non stop attacker.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/28/2024 at 2:48 PM, MAJBobby said:

If Gore can show he is close to Ty Johnson he makes the team. The difference between Ty and Gore is 350K in cap. That is going to be important at the end of summer when getting under cap.  That is key for a RB3. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope so. Ty is such a JAG. If I can save 350k on that spot it is a no brainer for me. 

Ty Johnson has a $667K dead cap if cut.  Ty has the inside track to make the team IMO.

The thing I like about Ty the most was his 7 for 7 receptions last season and I like that he runs hard.

The dead cap doesn't make him a lock so if he is beat out for the roster spot I wouldn't be upset.

On 4/27/2024 at 8:00 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

How many UDFA have made the Bills in the last 5 years?

I see the role of UDFAs as pushing the rookies and bubble players hard during camp.

The better the UDFA quality the better the camp competition.

Quality UDFAs on the PS is a plus too.

Every once in a while, a guy emerges who can make the team and contribute for a cheap cost.

These guys serve a purpose even if they don't become stars.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah. These rookie tryout players try to get multiple invites. So few get invited to training camp. Andreesen was the rare bright spot for UB last year. He's a player McDermott likes. Non stop attacker.

Hope the Chiefs mini camp is first! 

I guess they don’t get the whole playbook? I hate to be the conspiracy guy, but the Patriots have proven anything is possible. 

• Agree 1