Speed: I do the math here

Just now, strive_for_five_guy said:

As long as the Bills matriculate the ball down the field, the speed differential wonโ€™t matter ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Bingo. ย Iโ€™m excited to see what all these guys do in camp.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I see a lot of numbers trying to justify him being slow. It is what it is. He's slow. Hopefully he can make it up elsewhere (jump balls, catch radius, etc).Math What GIF by Riki Barker

With a vertical leap of 38 inches and height of 6'3+ inches, that should cause problems for smaller cornerbacks.ย  Jumpballs in the Redzone/Endzone with Allen throwing should be fun to watch.

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Itโ€™s not just speed that gets a receiver open. ย Quickness and route running skill are as important or more so. ย Sometimes coaches can implement schemes to get guys open as well.

ย 

My particular concerns with Coleman is that he failed to get open frequently against college competition. ย I donโ€™t necessarily blame that on his straight line speed. ย His lateral quickness looks so-so, but he is at least a fluid mover with excellent size, strength and jumping ability. ย Can he sharpen his route running? ย He is young and seems to be a hard worker, hopefully he will improve that aspect of his game.

Great post, Bob Chandler and Fred Biletnikov are primary examples; BTW Andre Reed came in the 4th round from Kutztowm, 86th player selected. Been told he is in the HOF! Some on OTB call Diggs the greatest Bills receiver, too funny!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

There is zero correlation between 40 time and how good a WR. If he can run great routes, he can get open. We have other guys who can fly down the field. We didnโ€™t have anyone who can out BAMF dudes for the ball.ย 

wow, literally zero? If I run a good route I can be an nfl wr?ย 
ย 

or is that a bit of hyperbole?

3 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

He sprinted on a drill when nobody else did. You aren't supposed to do that. If you watch the combine you can clearly see him run out of bounds when you are supposed to stay in and show you can tip toe down the sidelines.

So youโ€™re saying reaching 20.36 is still slow?

ย 

14 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

Oh gotcha we are comparing him to Metcalf to show how slow he is .. makes perfect sense now

Metcalf is 20 pounds heavier. Bills passed on him in round 2

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I see a lot of numbers trying to justify him being slow. It is what it is. He's slow. Hopefully he can make it up elsewhere (jump balls, catch radius, etc).Math What GIF by Riki Barker

Anquan Boldin 4.71ย 

Larry Fitz 4.63ย 

Jerry Rice 4.71

ย 
didnt stop any of these guys. Diggs was no burner either.ย 

ย 

ย 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mrags said:

Or see it with our own eyesย 

ย 

you said it yourself. 3 yards. And then said it didnt sound like it was that much. Thatโ€™s almost 10 freaking feet. Thatโ€™s 1.5 people youโ€™re talking about. Iโ€™d say thatโ€™s a huge differenceย 

ย 

You think 3 yards is almost 10 feet?

More data from Reel Analytics from 2023 season

ย 

College Footballโ€™s Fastest Players: Most Appearances at 21.0+ mph

Trey Benson, RB, Florida State: 3 times
Dylan Edwards, RB, Colorado: 2 times
Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State: 2 times
Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon: 2 times
Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas: 2 times

No other player has hit 21.0 mph or higher more than once in 2023.

Brenden Rice had the 5th highest top speed in college football last season and nobody says he's fast. He scored 12 tds and avg 17.5 per catch and nobody wanted to draft him. That is mind boggling to me.ย 

ย Troy Franklin with the 2nd fastest top speed and his 4.41 40 at the combine was a disappointment.ย