Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

One of pre-draft videos compared him to Kenny Golladay (Lions version). It's not that far off imo. 

I was such a big fan of Kenny.  SOOO much potential.

I hated his move to NY because of their QB situation and it panned out just like I feared, but that's the risk you take when you prioritize money over fit.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Cache said:

Take this fwiw… I’m close to an FSU booster and diehard. Almost over the top. She also writes for sports editorials (lower level but still)… I know Keon may have weaknesses, but I asked her for an unbiased overview on him just in casual texting… The reply (again fwiw, agree or not):

“He transferred from michigan state and we only had him for one year but he was the most athletic guy on the field just a freak athlete guy. He’s one of the big reasons we had a such an incredible season! It’s an absolute steal if the bills get him with the 33rd pick he was projected to go earlier! But his hands are so good and I think he’s only 20 and has a big future ahead. Very comparable to the big time wr’s like Jamarr Chase I think he would be a great replacement for Diggs and Allen will have fun with him because he will be in the league for a long time. He’s the best receiver to come out of FSU in the past decade for sure! It’s a great pick for the Bills, I think he would fit in really well especially with such a stud qb!”

good read, but lost me at he is “comparable” to Jamaar  Chase. They are wildly different style players.

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm a tad nervous because I've been pumping up Coleman as a great pick, and now if he sucks I'm gonna look stupid. But man his size and competitiveness and hands just get me really excited. Allen is a gunslinger. He just got his guy he can launch the ball to downfield 1v1.

It's okay Hap. I'm with you... and unlike Josh Allen, I can legitimately say I liked Coleman and didn't understand the hate before the draft.

That said, I am also nervous.

8 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

good read, but lost me at he is “comparable” to Jamaar  Chase. They are wildly different style players.

That part got me too. I just left it as described. Still lots of hope there.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

To show what kind of an athlete this guy is

https://youtu.be/Ix8Otv8Dito?si=Fd2KO4LkpzO7oTZL

Yeah, you’d be hard pressed to find one 6’4” or under D1 college basketball player who could be described as “stiff.” Most high level basketball players can’t run like football/track players, but they’re definitely explosive, have great hand/eye coordination, and great body control. Sounds just like Keon.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Man... this thread reminds me so much of the thread when we drafted Allen. I say that being one of the posters adamantly against drafting Allen.

I think Coleman proves everyone wrong.

Does this look like a guy who lacks in-game athleticism?

LOL from the color man comment "he's got more moves than a military family".

• Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Cache said:

Take this fwiw… I’m close to an FSU booster and diehard. Almost over the top. She also writes for sports editorials (lower level but still)… I know Keon may have weaknesses, but I asked her for an unbiased overview on him just in casual texting… The reply (again fwiw, agree or not):

“He transferred from michigan state and we only had him for one year but he was the most athletic guy on the field just a freak athlete guy. He’s one of the big reasons we had a such an incredible season! It’s an absolute steal if the bills get him with the 33rd pick he was projected to go earlier! But his hands are so good and I think he’s only 20 and has a big future ahead. Very comparable to the big time wr’s like Jamarr Chase I think he would be a great replacement for Diggs and Allen will have fun with him because he will be in the league for a long time. He’s the best receiver to come out of FSU in the past decade for sure! It’s a great pick for the Bills, I think he would fit in really well especially with such a stud qb!”

Yeah kind of coming around to the feeling of you can coach up route running and technique he's a young guy, you can't coach up him being a physical freak.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah kind of coming around to the feeling of you can coach up route running and technique he's a young guy, you can't coach up him being a physical freak.

As only a casual fan of college football I never have a horse in these draft debates.  Sometimes that's a good thing.

From what I'm learning about Keon I have to say I'm intrigued as to how he could play with Josh.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am amazed by the number of haters of this pick and self-proclaimed brilliance in the evaluation of NFL talent. I will admit, it is out of my scope to evaluate talent in the NFL. So, I leave it to those who get paid to do it. Mel Kiper had Keon as the 2nd day best receiver available and the third best available overall.

I look at the haters of this pick and I laugh at superiority complex. What makes them think they are a better evaluation of talent than Bean and Kipler? You look like fools to me, or on Kraft's payroll trolling here. Drink your beer and keep your mouth shut. 

It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought of as a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

I trust the process.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OldNMBillsFan said:

I am amazed by the number of haters of this pick and self-proclaimed brilliance in the evaluation of NFL talent. I will admit, it is out of my scope to evaluate talent in the NFL. So, I leave it to those who get paid to do it. Mel Kiper had Keon as the 2nd day best receiver available and the third best available overall.

I look at the haters of this pick and I laugh at superiority complex. What makes them think they are a better evaluation of talent than Bean and Kipler? You look like fools to me, or on Kraft's payroll trolling here. Drink your beer and keep your mouth shut. 

It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought of as a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

I trust the process.

Go Bills!!!

Wow.  I guess that means we don’t need a message board anymore.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Keon Coleman - 6’3 213lbs 4.61 40 yd dash 10.54 Split 38in vertical 10’7 Broad 

Terrell Owens - 6’3 213lbs 4.63 40 yd dash 10.58 Split 30in vertical 10ft Broad

The more I read up on Coleman and the way he plays the game, using his size and elite athleticism to beat defenders, it appears he and the Bills legend could indeed be cut from the same cloth.

Looking at those numbers, quite literally the same exact cloth…

Had no idea Keon was essentially a T.O. clone with better hops until 15 minutes ago when I looked up both of their combine numbers and then I was like “Holy Shnikees, Big Baller Beane did it again!”. Time to stock up on 🍿 🍿 🍿.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

The more I read up on Coleman and the way he plays the game, using his size and elite athleticism to beat defenders, it appears he and the Bills legend could indeed be cut from the same cloth.

Had no idea Keon was essentially a T.O. clone with better hops until 15 minutes ago when I looked up both of their combine numbers and then I was like “Holy Shnikees, Big Baller Beane did it again!”. Time to stock up on 🍿 🍿 🍿.

Surprised Owens ran a 4.63 at the combine, because he claimed “I can still run a 4.4” when he was in his 40s trying to get back in the league. There’s also a video out there where he runs a 4.38. Not sure how he could get .25 faster than his combine time, that’s a MAJOR difference. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brand J said:

Surprised Owens ran a 4.63 at the combine, because he claimed “I can still run a 4.4” when he was in his 40s trying to get back in the league. There’s also a video out there where he runs a 4.38. Not sure how he could get .25 faster than his combine time, that’s a MAJOR difference. 

He probably went on the Lance Armstrong diet, or he’s full of *****… I’m betting it’s a healthy combination of both.

14 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Different era of football, but if Coleman gives us 55 catches for 829 yards and 5 TDs next season like TO did in his one year in Buffalo, I think we'd all be thrilled.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

He probably went on the Lance Armstrong diet, or he’s full of *****… I’m betting it’s a healthy combination of both.

Maybe some sort of juicing, no doubt. Just looked up the 4.38 video, he dusted whoever he was racing and supposedly ran the time as a 48 year old. It was hand timed. He also raced Tyreek Hill at 44 years old and Hill only beat him by a couple strides, so he’s definitely faster than the 4.63 he posted at the combine.