2023-24 NHL Playoffs

T&C

Posted (edited)

As I probably explained before, because of my German heritage, I am rooting for the Mavericks in the NBA (Dirk) and the Oilers in the NHL (Leon; although I would be much happier if the Sabres ever reached this level). Chance had it that during the recent weeks their games alternated from day to day. Today was the first time both teams played an important game on the same day, even starting on the same time. 

As I find hockey more interesting basketball, my original plan had been to watch the Oilers and occasionally have a look at the Mavs. However, it turned out that the Oilers were handling the Canucks easily (at least tonight), while the OKC-Mavs game turned into a real nail biter. Thus, most of my time I spent on the NBA game. In the end, both "my" teams won.

For the NBA conference finals: "Go Luka!!"; for the NHL playoffs: "Go Leon and the Oilers!! Repeat today's performance, and you will get past the Canucks!"

And a nugget from ESPN: 

Draisaitl became just the fourth player in NHL history to record 60 assists in 60 playoffs games and the third in league history to get to 100 points — behind Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

Edited by DrW
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2024 at 9:13 AM, Gregg said:

As an Islanders fan, I am not enjoying these playoffs until a certain team get eliminated. Let's Go Panthers.

Rangers shat the bed tonight... it stunk. They had 1 goal though lol...

I'm sure few are watching the PWHL women's hockey final. But it was game 4 last night, scoreless, double OT, and Minnesota, who was up 2-1 in the best of 5 series, scores what looked like the title clinching goal. Everyone is in the ice celebrating, the sold out arena is going nuts, meanwhile the officials start reviewing the goal and reverse it for goaltender interference.

So everyone has to get back into game mode again. A minute later Boston scores the winner. Game 5 is Wednesday in Boston. Talk about a gut punch.

Scroll to the 7:24 mark.

Shesterkin has been outstanding. If not for him the Panthers probably would have won, this in a sweep. They have had the better of the play most of the time. There have been times where they have had the Rangers pinned in their own zone for long stretches with Shesterkin bailing them out with save after save. 

4 hours ago, Gregg said:

Shesterkin has been outstanding. If not for him the Panthers probably would have won, this in a sweep. They have had the better of the play most of the time. There have been times where they have had the Rangers pinned in their own zone for long stretches with Shesterkin bailing them out with save after save. 

Rags are doing a better job of converting on their chances.  Panthers might dominate play for 10 minutes and then give up one fast break and they're pulling it out of the back of their net.  And its not because Bobs is playing poorly.  

Barkov could have iced that game himself.  If Okposo could elevate the puck he'd be a perennial 15 goal guy!!

38 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Rags are doing a better job of converting on their chances.  Panthers might dominate play for 10 minutes and then give up one fast break and they're pulling it out of the back of their net.  And its not because Bobs is playing poorly.  

Barkov could have iced that game himself.  If Okposo could elevate the puck he'd be a perennial 15 goal guy!!

True the Rangers have gotten timely goals and they do seem to convert on most of their great chances. With that said Shersterkin is the main reason they aren't headed to the offseason. If he doesn't stand on his head the Panthers sweep this series. Game 5 tomorrow should be another great game. Pressure is more on the Rangers here. If they lose, I think it ends in 6. If the Cats lose, I could still see a game 7. Anything can happen in a winner take all game 7.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, njbuff said:

Come on Cats.

One more win to eliminate the Rags. 

The Panthers will have to bring the A+ game on Saturday night. The Rags will be a very desperate team and Shesterkin gives them a chance every single night. The guy is almost a brick wall in net. Let's Go Panthers.

Posted (edited)

This is not said very often by sports fans but I am generally pleased with NHL officiating these days.  

‘Ref you suck’ is still heard a couple times a game as fans are gonna fan after all. If you are old enough you may remember in 1975 the Aud echoing with ‘Harris is a bum’.  Wally Harris was not a fan favorite.  

Different refs called much different games and it could be maddening.  The NHL got it right when they took the personalities out of the officiating.  These days, I typically have no idea who the refs are and I think that is great.  Sure, there may be mistakes made but I think the officiating is much more consistent than back in the day

Edited by Bob in Mich
  • Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

The NHL playoffs have been a Great watch. If you enjoy ice hockey at all these series are a must.

Florida can clinch tonight with a Win. The Score currently is 1-0 Panthers leading near end of the 2nd period

a whole lotta hockey to go in this game.  HA they just mentioned how badly they wish to retain Sam Reinhart after this season . Oh yeah they do want to retain his goal scoring services only a scant 57 this year

LOL Ex Sabres I will root for. Go Panthers 🙂

Edited by muppy

Posted (edited)

third period Florida 1 Rangers zero

it is do or die time. a 1 goal lead is stress inducing for Both sides.

Panthers are playing lights Out though. Great hockey.

Edited by muppy

Posted (edited)

GREAT SERIES

The NY Rangers are officially cookies

Panthers to Stanley Cup Finals winning 2-1 in Game 6

I googled  . I'm like WTF lol

Did you know that the tradition of tossing rats on the ice during Florida Panthers hockey matches goes way back to the 1995-1996 NHL season? It all began when Scott Mellanby, a forward, scored two goals in one game and, before the next match, killed a rat in the locker room with his stick.

Edited by muppy