Randy Mueller - maybe only ~150 draftable players this year

1 hour ago, uninja said:

You sure?

Well played, Sir!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Both our 7th rounders are on NFL rosters though in fairness.... and were on 53s last season not PS. 

That's a very fair point.  But there are UDFA on various rosters around the league too.  I think the point is, the plug isn't pulled on guys who can actually play in the league at Draft Pick #150, or Draft Pick #250, or Draft Pick #259.  Some of the guys who get drafted earlier won't "cut the mustard", and some of the 7th rounders and UDFA will.

Edited by Beck Water

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well played, Sir!

That's a very fair point.  But there are UDFA on various rosters around the league too.  I think the point is, the plug isn't pulled on guys who can actually play in the league at Draft Pick #150, or Draft Pick #250, or Draft Pick #259.  Some of the guys who get drafted earlier won't "cut the mustard", and some of the 7th rounders and UDFA will.

For sure. But some drafts are deeper than others. The chances are better there more talent there is. This is a good class at the top. It isn't a class with great depth. Doesn't mean there won't be starters that come from rounds 5 through 7. But the chances are not equal each year. 

I will say this .., at the start of Day 3 of the draft … there  will likely be a lot of players left that people here will still be very keen on the Bills drafting … 

Probably they will be mostly gone by end of Round 5 ..: which to me seems like a pretty typical year 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought this comment was interesting. The Bills have five picks before 150 and five after that threshold.

”After several classes overflowing with talented prospects (mainly due to the extra year of eligibility granted because of the pandemic), with as many as 350 names filling NFL teams’ draft boards, teams could struggle to get 150 names on their boards this year. This is dangerous for two reasons: The top players will disappear quickly, and teams will have to guard against the risk of overdrafting players in the later rounds. It might be a good opportunity for some teams to trade picks, maybe to move up into the first four rounds, or for a veteran player who brings more certainty. For that reason, there will be a lot of trade talk over the next couple of weeks.”

https://theathletic.com/5412463/2024/04/15/nfl-draft-randy-mueller-top-10/

yeah, the premise here makes little sense.  The late picks have no value, so people will trade them away.  Trade them to who?  How do you trade something that is worthless. 

I see a decent number of centers in this draft from good programs in addition to the "top guys" (PSU, LSU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma), as well as what appear to be a large number of DTs.  The draft seems deep in potential depth players after Rd. 2, so I'm not sure it's as bleak as the article snippet implies.  Good year to have a team setup before the draft with few needs for instant impact like we do.  

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

yeah, the premise here makes little sense.  The late picks have no value, so people will trade them away.  Trade them to who?  How do you trade something that is worthless. 

I see a decent number of centers in this draft from good programs in addition to the "top guys" (PSU, LSU, Wisconsin, Oklahoma), as well as what appear to be a large number of DTs.  The draft seems deep in potential depth players after Rd. 2, so I'm not sure it's as bleak as the article snippet implies.  Good year to have a team setup before the draft with few needs for instant impact like we do.  

I dunno … Randy Mueller knows far more than you or I do. He literally has 35 years of NFL experience in draft rooms. You and I are just message board dorks whose knowledge is all second or third hand.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno … Randy Mueller knows far more than you or I do. He literally has 35 years of NFL experience in draft rooms. You and are just message board dorks whose knowledge is all second or third hand.

No one here knows anything …. But a couple of people have some very strong opinions…

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

No one here knows anything …. But a couple of people have some very strong opinions…

I have insight from a lot of people since I used to work in the industry in college football. I know scouts for the Jets, Texans, Bears. This doesn’t mean they are going to tell me about what they’re going to do but if I ask about a certain prospect they’ll share. I did this a couple of years ago when Melifonwu was coming out of Syracuse and people were projecting the Bills to take him in round 1. I didn’t see it but I asked around and the opinion I got was no shot he’s going in round 2 or 3. So it justified my evaluation. I watched tape on HS prospects and cut them up so our coaching staff could evaluate them. 

I have certain insights at schools such as Buffalo, Kansas, South Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Florida State(just because I’m a fan and watch them all the time). 

Does this mean I know everything, No, but I do have the resources to ask if I really need to about certain players. 

15 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I have insight from a lot of people since I used to work in the industry in college football. I know scouts for the Jets, Texans, Bears. This doesn’t mean they are going to tell me about what they’re going to do but if I ask about a certain prospect they’ll share. I did this a couple of years ago when Melifonwu was coming out of Syracuse and people were projecting the Bills to take him in round 1. I didn’t see it but I asked around and the opinion I got was no shot he’s going in round 2 or 3. So it justified my evaluation. I watched tape on HS prospects and cut them up so our coaching staff could evaluate them. 

I have certain insights at schools such as Buffalo, Kansas, South Dakota State, Northern Illinois, Florida State(just because I’m a fan and watch them all the time). 

Does this mean I know everything, No, but I do have the resources to ask if I really need to about certain players. 

Ok …interesting ….that could be helpful for getting some info on some players at those schools …

Do you have any knowledge about Garret Greenfield from South Dakota State?

Possible mid Day 3 pick for the Bills maybe?

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Ok …interesting ….that could be helpful for getting some info on some players at those schools …

Do you have any knowledge about Garret Greenfield from South Dakota State?

Possible mid Day 3 pick for the Bills maybe?

I think both McCormick and Greenfield get drafted higher than their projections. McCormick I see going round 3 or 4. Greenfield is more a round 4 or 5  guy. Guy I know is the OC who actually coaches their OL but previously coached the TEs. 

Both are great kids but with Greenfield  specifically he has prototypical size and played a lot of games at SDSU which doesn’t hurt. I think the question with him besides level of comp obviously is is he maxed out. 

He has prototypical size but he’s already 24 and usually when you take FCS guys you hope there is some upside. I just wonder how much of that there is in his game. I think he’s a swing tackle in the NFL who can become an average starting NFL tackle if he can develop his play strength more. 

That’s the big question with him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

"Overdrating  players in a later round" that kind of sounds like an oxymoron.  Once you get past round 4, it's a crapshoot in every draft. 

That is definitely true. But there are still stronger day 3 groups and and weaker ones... and this is a weaker one overall. 

13 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Don’t they say this every year?

You never hear “It’s a typical draft class this year “

Someone always says it deeper, better or worse than usual or the year before lol

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I dunno … Randy Mueller knows far more than you or I do. He literally has 35 years of NFL experience in draft rooms. You and I are just message board dorks whose knowledge is all second or third hand.

Hey, who you calling a dork....message board nerd, it's nerd, not dork ;)

But yeah, he does know more, but I feel like he may be wrong, or at least there are less "high level" guys this year, but I think a lot of guys for depth purposes (backup DTs, RBs, etc.)  I think it looks good for us because we need 2 great WRs (draft has those), and then a bunch of backup types all around.  

• Like (+1) 1