"Shame! Shame!!" 1864 Called and wants its abortion law back!

Women could not vote in 1864

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-abortion-ruling-1864-law-b43757f9a53848138c4d13e4315527ce

PHOENIX (AP) — The Arizona Legislature devolved into shouts of “Shame! Shame!” on Wednesday as Republican lawmakers quickly shut down discussion on a proposed repeal of the state’s newly revived 1864 law that criminalizes abortion throughout pregnancy unless a woman’s life is at risk.

The state Supreme Court cleared the way on Tuesday for enforcement of the pre-statehood law. Arizona abortion providers vowed Wednesday to continue service until they’re forced to stop, possibly within weeks.

State legislators convened as pressure mounted from Democrats and some Republicans, including former President Donald Trump, for them to intervene.

House Democrats and at least one Republican tried to open discussion on a repeal of the 1864 abortion ban, which holds no exceptions for rape or *****. GOP leaders, who command the majority, cut it off twice and quickly adjourned for the week. Outraged Democrats erupted in finger-waving chants of “Shame! Shame!”

• Like (+1) 1

Look, to be clear I am against abortion. But if these idiots think they will stop with this? 

I hate guns personally, I think you are a candy ass if you need a gun to settle a matter. But I would never try to take someone’s gun rights away. I like my freedom of speech and wouldn’t want that taken away so I don’t feel it’s right to take a right away from someone else.

i know abortion is not a right and I’m not here arguing for it so don’t come at me with your trash. I’m just saying if you think the govt will stop there you are dumber than I thought!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

It will get struck down.

By whom?

The Arizona Supreme Court says it's a valid law.

So the appeal is to ... the U.S. Supreme Court, which just told us (thank you Trump and your rushed nomination of Amy Coney Barrett) that this is an issue for the states to decide.

Fascinating how the anti-abortion rights people are now all waiting for some court, somewhere to save them from themselves.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

By whom?

The Arizona Supreme Court says it's a valid law.

So the appeal is to ... the U.S. Supreme Court, which just told us (thank you Trump and your rushed nomination of Amy Coney Barrett) that this is an issue for the states to decide.

Fascinating how the anti-abortion rights people are now all waiting for some court, somewhere to save them from themselves.

They are the dog that caught the car. 

Abortion was a good issue for the Right while Roe was in place. Now it’s a weight around their necks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

Abortion was a good issue for the Right while Roe was in place. Now it’s a weight around their necks. 

Extreme right-to-life positions were essential for anyone with a dream of being president. Ron DeSantis signed that 6-week bill. Trump said he'd appoint justices who would undo Roe and return the matter to the states.

And you're right, that's what happened. Things many people had said - for example, that IVF always involves selective implantation of embryos and that the others are disposed of, and that it would therefore run afoul of strict abortion bans - quickly came to pass. And that Roe was the only thing standing between the modern world and ancient, dead-letter anti-abortion laws like the Arizona territorial law. 

You got what you wanted, Republicans. Deal with it. Because we're not gonna let you run away from it.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 4th&long said:

Look, to be clear I am against abortion. But if these idiots think they will stop with this? 

I hate guns personally, I think you are a candy ass if you need a gun to settle a matter. But I would never try to take someone’s gun rights away. I like my freedom of speech and wouldn’t want that taken away so I don’t feel it’s right to take a right away from someone else.

i know abortion is not a right and I’m not here arguing for it so don’t come at me with your trash. I’m just saying if you think the govt will stop there you are dumber than I thought!

Hi Mr Candy Ass here (apparently). It's not about needing a gun to settle a matter. It's that the other guy already has one. Are you going to challenge a bad guy with an illegal fully automatic weapon to fisticuffs? I think you understand how badly that would end for you

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Hi Mr Candy Ass here (apparently). It's not about needing a gun to settle a matter. It's that the other guy already has one. Are you going to challenge a bad guy with an illegal fully automatic weapon to fisticuffs? I think you understand how badly that would end for you

The drama. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be in that situation. I’ve made it this far. And if I do and die so be it. At least I had the courage to die for what I believe in. But you do you.

Oh and by the way, how did that work out for that safety from Washington Sean Taylor? 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, 4th&long said:

And if I do and die so be it. At least I had the courage to die for what I believe in

Guessing most victims of murders/manslaughter feel different right before the lights go out.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 4th&long said:

The drama. I’m pretty sure I’ll never be in that situation. I’ve made it this far. And if I do and die so be it. At least I had the courage to die for what I believe in. But you do you.

Oh and by the way, how did that work out for that safety from Washington Sean Taylor? 

I've been in that situation and I guess you won't understand until you are. Who is more manly? The guy who can actually protect his family or the guy that dies trying to show everyone how tough he is?

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I've been in that situation and I guess you won't understand until you are. Who is more manly? The guy who can actually protect his family or the guy that dies trying to show everyone how tough he is?

I’m glad it worked out well for you. 

10 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Every once in a while you do come up with some goods stuff.

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I’m not here to argue with you about gun rights and I’m certainly not here to try and take your rights away. I have my opinions but they are not worth much. You do you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

I’m not here to argue with you about gun rights and I’m certainly not here to try and take your rights away. I have my opinions but they are not worth much. You do you.

Thanks. I didn't know I needed gun rights until I needed gun rights. The criminals by default have gun rights because they don't care what the laws say. I think it should be up to us to decide if we do or don't want to exercise our 2nd amendment rights, not the government.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Thanks. I didn't know I needed gun rights until I needed gun rights. The criminals by default have gun rights because they don't care what the laws say. I think it should be up to us to decide if we do or don't want to exercise our 2nd amendment rights, not the government.

I just wish there something we could do about school shootings but that is above my pay grade. I certainly don’t have the answers. Frankly I don’t think there is an answer. I think one day God will sort it all out.

7 minutes ago, 4th&long said:

I just wish there something we could do about school shootings but that is above my pay grade. I certainly don’t have the answers. Frankly I don’t think there is an answer. I think one day God will sort it all out.

Lock down the schools like prisons. You don't see people breaking into prisons or police stations to shoot up the place 

Bad guys shoot up schools because it's a lot of people in a confined place with no protection aka "easy targets" unfortunately 

29 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Lock down the schools like prisons. You don't see people breaking into prisons or police stations to shoot up the place 

Bad guys shoot up schools because it's a lot of people in a confined place with no protection aka "easy targets" unfortunately 

And stadiums? And malls? Concerts, too?

• Like (+1) 1

This all would be laughable if it weren’t so serious for American women. Arizonans will now have to travel miles to receive medical care, and many will be unable to overcome the barriers put in their way. This will mean they will be forced to endure unwanted pregnancies. This kind of reactionary view of women’s freedom doesn’t belong in a country that calls itself the leader of the free world. If women aren’t free to make their own decisions, none of us are. It’s time to start calling this barbarism what it really is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/conservatives-no-longer-care-freedom-141416520.html

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

You think the JWHO regrets their decision?  Or does the political fallout make it worth it?

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This all would be laughable if it weren’t so serious for American women. Arizonans will now have to travel miles to receive medical care, and many will be unable to overcome the barriers put in their way. This will mean they will be forced to endure unwanted pregnancies. This kind of reactionary view of women’s freedom doesn’t belong in a country that calls itself the leader of the free world. If women aren’t free to make their own decisions, none of us are. It’s time to start calling this barbarism what it really is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/conservatives-no-longer-care-freedom-141416520.html

Do the babies get a say in this?

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yes, they already do lock down the stadiums and concerts. And who goes to a mall anymore? Lol

But are stadiums fortified? No

Malls are still alive--yes on life support--but still breathing

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

They can't even talk, or breathe, on their own, so no

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

ITs so funny/hypocritical when they use that narrative.

After the last few years of them screaming about vaccination status.

where was body privacy then?

And by the same exact voices.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

They can't even talk, or breathe, on their own, so no

If astronauts found an organism on the moon with living cells and a beating heart it would be the greatest discovery in human history. Meanwhile back on earth, if a woman finds one she can kill it whenever she wants.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Doc said:

You think the JWHO regrets their decision?  Or does the political fallout make it worth it?

Can’t blame them here. They challenged a law that directly contradicted the Constitution as held by SCOTUS. SCOTUS then decided to change the rules on them. 

Blaming people for challenging problematic laws instead of blaming the people who pass those laws is an interesting way to burden shift. 

Edited by ChiGoose

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

If astronauts found an organism on the moon with living cells and a beating heart it would be the greatest discovery in human history. Meanwhile back on earth, if a woman finds one she can kill it whenever she wants.

Why would something have a beating heart on the moon? There is no oxygen on the moon, and no reason to pump oxygen rich blood, which it could not get

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Can’t blame them here. They challenged a law that directly contradicted the Constitution as held by SCOTUS. SCOTUS then decided to change the rules on them. 

Blaming people for challenging problematic laws instead of blaming the people who pass those laws is an interesting way to burden shift. 

The fact remains that they were responsible for RvW being overturned.  You know, those 2nd and 3rd order effects were you talking about earlier.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Doc said:

The fact remains that they were responsible for RvW being overturned.  You know, those 2nd and 3rd order effects were you talking about earlier.

No they weren’t. SCOTUS was. I don’t think overturning Roe was even part of the certified question that SCOTUS was asked to address. 

It’s such a weird and illogical way to look at this. Just trying every trick to excuse the people actually responsible because it makes your side look bad. 

State passes unconstitutional law

Petitioner: hey! That’s unconstitutional 

SCOTUS: we are changing the constitution to allow things way beyond the law we were asked to look at

Internet geniuses: this is the petitioner’s fault. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yes, they already do lock down the stadiums and concerts. And who goes to a mall anymore? Lol

Exactly…locking down public places and churches is a price we should all be willing pay for unfettered gun proliferation.

1 minute ago, TH3 said:

Exactly…locking down public places and churches is a price we should all be willing pay for unfettered gun proliferation.

Guns have been around this whole time. They didn't lock those things down when I was a kid. So what's different?

41 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Guns have been around this whole time. They didn't lock those things down when I was a kid. So what's different?

I have been around the world….you know where they “lockdown” churches, schools, restaurants, sporting events, shopping areas as a matter of routine?

The Middle East and Africa….Something to aspire to for for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TH3 said:

I have been around the world….you know where they “lockdown” churches, schools, restaurants, sporting events, shopping areas as a matter of routine?

The Middle East and Africa….Something to aspire to for for sure.

Again, we have had guns this whole time. If things are getting worse it has nothing to do with the guns 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:04 PM, Tiberius said:

Well...I'm pretty sure you guys just handed Democrats a winning issue 

On 9/1/2022 at 2:26 PM, B-Man said:

and saved the lives of thousands of infants,

a good trade.