Poll: How do we feel about Stefon Diggs the player?

Poll: How do we feel about Stefon Diggs the player?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Divorced from whether the Bills made a good or bad deal, how do we all feel about Stefon Diggs as a player?

• Good riddance to a locker room cancerin', bomb in the KC playoff game droppin', Josh Allen on the sideline challengin' mutha *****a. Don't let the door hitya on the way out.
    • Declining talent, it was time to go, no hard feelings.
    • Good receiver, can eventually come back as a Bills legend.
    • Bills Wall of Famer.
    • Best Bills receiver ever.
    • Other (please explain).

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I don't think it was meant as a criticism of Diggs, so much as an example of another difference in the way the game was played 30 years ago and how it's played today.

It's absolutely a criticism of Diggs when you say he was worse than a guy who was rarely at the top of the league against his contemporaries. No doubt the game is played differently than it is today, but why did he only crack top 5 receiving numbers 4 times in 16 years? Tim Brown had no trouble despite far lesser QB play.

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

-Oh 100 percent.  I have zero issue with Diggs and his style of play. I understand it.

-That is where we disagree.  Back then a running attack was more predominant than passing for most teams. Exception being Houston. This is a passing league now.  With rules where u can’t touch wrs.  A game made for offense and scoring. Much less clutching, grabbing, head hunting etc.. Reeds numbers would absolutely be much better. 
-outside of rice not too many. Carter/irvin maybe

-and playoff football? Reed over Diggs all day. 

Why are you arguing about things that are facts?

Andree reed played in 21 playoff games with 85 total receptions and 9 TDs averaging 58.5 YPG. Diggs meanwhile has 14 playoff games with 69 total receptions, 4 TDs and 64.9 YPG. This board is ridiculing Diggs for disappearing in playoff games, leaving no mention of Reed doing the same. In 3 playoff games from 95 to 96 Reed had a combined 16 targets for 5 receptions for 52 total yards. Andre Reed failed to score a touchdown in his final 11 straight playoff games. 11 straight games.

There is no reality in which Andre Reed was a better Buffalo Bills receiver than Andre Reed. He would have broken every record reed set in probably 60% of the games if he were still here. Rose tinted glasses from the softening of history through the passage of time is a wild thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I said other: 

My opinions haven’t really changed. 

I think questioning his commitment after week 6 is a totally fair.

I think he really believes he made Allen and perhaps misinterpreted his personality or thought process due to Allen’s nature.

I think fans blew little things sky high. This trade didn’t happen because some big things, but a whole bunch of medium sized and small things. I don’t think he’s a cancer, just petty and manipulative with borderline gaslighting behaviors. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's absolutely a criticism of Diggs when you say he was worse than a guy who was rarely at the top of the league against his contemporaries. No doubt the game is played differently than it is today, but why did he only crack top 5 receiving numbers 4 times in 16 years? Tim Brown had no trouble despite far lesser QB play.

Andree reed played in 21 playoff games with 85 total receptions and 9 TDs averaging 58.5 YPG. Diggs meanwhile has 14 playoff games with 69 total receptions, 4 TDs and 64.9 YPG. This board is ridiculing Diggs for disappearing in playoff games, leaving no mention of Reed doing the same. In 3 playoff games from 95 to 96 Reed had a combined 16 targets for 5 receptions for 52 total yards. Andre Reed failed to score a touchdown in his final 11 straight playoff games. 11 straight games.

There is no reality in which Andre Reed was a better Buffalo Bills receiver than Andre Reed. He would have broken every record reed set in probably 60% of the games if he were still here. Rose tinted glasses from the softening of history through the passage of time is a wild thing.

You conveniently leave out his numbers during his prime.  From 95 on reed was 31. 

Here are the numbers prior

Diggs 2 tds. 47 catches for 600 yds 

reed  9 tds 78 catches 1116 yds

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The thing that bothers me most about Diggs, is that he wants to hold everyone accountable…except himself. 

No one complained publicly about the playoff exits than Diggs, but this season he had the chance to be a difference maker and instead, was likely the most disappointing offensive player in the field vs. KC.  

Where’s his accountability?  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

This is all three players from the age of 27-30, namely the years Diggs played for the Bills.

image.png.bc5ce9776bc1aa4141f3eefaf949889c.png

Lets pretend Reeds additional 9,015 Yards and 60 TD's or Moulds 5,351 Yards and 23 TD's didn't also happen as a Bill. Along with Moulds 240 yard record setting playoff performance. Lets just go off the exact window of time all three played here.  You don't think Reed is going to catch Diggs pretty easily with 174 more targets? You don't think Moulds isn't producing those same stats with a starting level QB? Let alone Josh Allen? 

This is one of your worst takes and that's saying something. 

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

This is all three players from the age of 27-30, namely the years Diggs played for the Bills.

image.png.bc5ce9776bc1aa4141f3eefaf949889c.png

Lets pretend Reeds additional 9,015 Yards and 60 TD's or Moulds 5,351 Yards and 23 TD's didn't also happen as a Bill. Along with Moulds 240 yard record setting playoff performance. Lets just go off the exact window of time all three played here.  You don't think Reed is going to catch Diggs pretty easily with 174 more targets? You don't think Moulds isn't producing those same stats with a starting level QB? Let alone Josh Allen? 

This is one of your worst takes and that's saying something. 

Pretending is the only way your take makes any sense. Commanding targets is an indication of skill. It's also worth noting that Diggs catch percentage is over 9% higher.

I'd love for one of you guys to pose an actual argument here based on numbers. So far it's just making excuses for the era in which Reed played, playing imaginary "what if" games, or when all that fails falling back on a general attack of my arguments in general (again with no supporting evidence).

Of course, lost in all this is the fact that most of the board is trying to run Diggs down like he's a bum when all of the evidence shows that he was so good he outperformed the best WR Buffalo ever had before him, who is now on the Wall and in the Hall. It's such an insane amount of disrespect for a guy that never did anything but play 100% and never said or did a bad city to or about this city or its fans. It's disgusting.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Your poll options don’t really make sense because they aren’t mutually exclusive.

I would say no hard feelings, time to move on from a declining player. I think the front office had planned to do this next offseason, but things got moved ahead of schedule.

In terms of all time Bills greats, I would put Diggs in the second group with Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson. With Andre Reed and Eric Moulds being in the top group.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There is no denying what he did for Allen and the franchise. At times he was excellent. There is also no denying that he tailed off last year. Whether it be age or he was stepping back from the team (I hesitate to say quitting) there was a decline. Replace him, no point in paying the contract out. It is an indictment on Diggs that we took on extra money to be rid of him.

Edited by JDubya76
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/7/2024 at 10:24 PM, transient said:

Diggs the player was in decline IMO, and I thought they'd get 1 more season out of him before making this move purely due to his cap hit.

I think Diggs the person became enough of a pain in the ass that Beane decided the extra 3M cap hit was worth it to get him out of the locker room NOW. I suspect he's burned enough bridges behind closed doors that he won't be asked back to represent the team in any meaningful fashion in the future, and I kinda doubt he'd want to anyway.

I wouldn't say I have any particular hard feelings, but I was one of the people that downplayed his bull####. Obviously, I was wrong, and as a result I don't think I'd want to see him back in the future representing the team in any meaningful fashion after this exit. I doubt I'm alone in that.

So one thing that was interesting to me listening to the Shout podcast with Parrino and Buscaglia, was the impression I got from Buscaglia that he really thought Diggs was a good dude, "misunderstood", an "intelligent, thoughtful, and self-aware" player who professionally tried to "get the best" out of everyone in the lockerroom.

This in the face of Diggs publicly exhibiting behavior that seems far more likely to be toxic or detrimental than positive - so if he's so self aware and understands what he's doing while he's doing it as Buscaglia believes, Why Do It, then?  As well as comments by Wawrow (who I think has at least as much access as Buscaglia and Parrino) that Diggs was a real problem, and references a couple of people here with real contacts have made to "stunts" Diggs pulled that were "detrimental to the team".  

Is Diggs intelligent and able to be thoughtful and self-aware when it suits him?  I do believe that, but something does not compute.

If we believe Buscaglia, the Texans made the Bills such an attractive offer that they decided to move him, even though they went into the off-season believing he was part of their 2024 plans.

5 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The thing that bothers me most about Diggs, is that he wants to hold everyone accountable…except himself. 

No one complained publicly about the playoff exits than Diggs, but this season he had the chance to be a difference maker and instead, was likely the most disappointing offensive player in the field vs. KC.  

Where’s his accountability?  

Preach.  And this past season's playoff game vs. KC was far from the only game in which he had the chance to be a difference maker and didn't come through in the clinch.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:32 PM, <bills4life> said:

The guy played four seasons here and people one guy wants to anoint him the bills best receiver ever?  That’s crazy talk.  Over someone who is in the hall of fame? Ridiculous. Don’t get me wrong he is a great player. But to say he was better than Andre Reed is ludicrous.  

FIFY

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/8/2024 at 10:46 AM, Nuncha said:

Those who voted "best Bills receiver ever" obviously never saw Andre Reed play. 

What would Allen have done with Reed in today's game? Something excellent no doubt.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Pretending is the only way your take makes any sense. Commanding targets is an indication of skill. It's also worth noting that Diggs catch percentage is over 9% higher.

I'd love for one of you guys to pose an actual argument here based on numbers. So far it's just making excuses for the era in which Reed played, playing imaginary "what if" games, or when all that fails falling back on a general attack of my arguments in general (again with no supporting evidence).

Of course, lost in all this is the fact that most of the board is trying to run Diggs down like he's a bum when all of the evidence shows that he was so good he outperformed the best WR Buffalo ever had before him, who is now on the Wall and in the Hall. It's such an insane amount of disrespect for a guy that never did anything but play 100% and never said or did a bad city to or about this city or its fans. It's disgusting.

OK guys, time for you to start your own thread to argue who is the Bills best WR.

3 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Your poll options don’t really make sense because they aren’t mutually exclusive.

I would say no hard feelings, time to move on from a declining player. I think the front office had planned to do this next offseason, but things got moved ahead of schedule.

In terms of all time Bills greats, I would put Diggs in the second group with Lee Evans and Stevie Johnson. With Andre Reed and Eric Moulds being in the top group.

I culled the options from the 150+ thread.  Yes, they are not mutually exclusive.  Diggs is complex, and hard to pin down.  Part of me is good riddance, but ultimately it was just time to move on.  It's why I also had an "Other" option, because I knew the poll options were imperfect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well I guess most of us can agree that they were all awesome.  It was a privilege to have watched Reed, Moulds, and Diggs play.  Let’s hope that Beane picks the next “great one”in the upcoming draft, so that we can all argue someday if he was the best ever. 

• Thank you (+1) 1