Who will be the head scratcher pick(s) in the first round?

19 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

Could be the case with another Penn State player this year, Chop Robinson.

There really is no comparison.  Go watch some of Robinson play.  He is fast, quick and strong.  He is disruptive, but still needs a to develop more pass rush moves.  Will he be great?  I don’t know that, but he won’t be a flat bust like Maybin.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Penix goes top 10

That would be a surprise but I'm not sure I'd describe it as a head scratcher. Not like when FFadpecr (not sure he is still here) insisted Carson Strong was going #9 overall a few years ago to the point that he insulted anyone who disagreed and then disappeared when it didn't happen. 

People don't want to hear this but I personally believe a few receivers are being bumped up into Round 1 and early Round 2 who are big risks. 

Xavier Worthy

Troy Franklin

Keon Coleman

These guys provide a ridiculous skill set but have a few more red flags than the 

Ladd McConkey and Xavier Legette of the world. AD Mitchell you better be damn sure he's going to reach his potential otherwise that can be bust. 

Basically I could comfortably see these guys having better pro careers than the first three mentioned.

Ricky Pearsall

Malachi Corley

Roman Wilson

Brenden Rice

Malik Washington

Jalynn Polk

Jermaine Burton (character questions)

Edited by HaldimandBills

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

There really is no comparison.  Go watch some of Robinson play.  He is fast, quick and strong.  He is disruptive, but still needs a to develop more pass rush moves.  Will he be great?  I don’t know that, but he won’t be a flat bust like Maybin.  

My point was that he basically has done it for one year, has one move and needs to develop, like you said. I doubt he busts, but there are similarities between him and Maybin.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/9/2024 at 7:20 AM, OldTimer1960 said:

The thing that makes me nervous with this guy even if he doesn't turn out to be a complete bust like Maybin but a JAG...we just cannot afford to whiff on another high draft pick DE prospect.  If we rolled the dice on him we would need him to pan out as a legitimate NFL level DE and it just makes me really nervous.

9 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

The thing that makes me nervous with this guy even if he doesn't turn out to be a complete bust like Maybin but a JAG...we just cannot afford to whiff on another high draft pick DE prospect.  If we rolled the dice on him we would need him to pan out as a legitimate NFL level DE and it just makes me really nervous.

I am not pounding the table to draft Robinson, I just think he has a lot of upside - which you correctly point out that he might not reach.  

Again, I’m not advocating to take him, but I would argue that no player that they could take there is completely free of potential to be a JAG or complete bust.  I know some were against taking Elam in the first, but I don’t think that many thought that he would never see the field and would only be hanging on to a roster spot by a thread because he is a former 1st round pick.

The draft is much more inexact than people want to believe and picking as late as the Bills are makes it that much more difficult.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:35 AM, HaldimandBills said:

People don't want to hear this but I personally believe a few receivers are being bumped up into Round 1 and early Round 2 who are big risks. 

Xavier Worthy

Troy Franklin

Keon Coleman

These guys provide a ridiculous skill set but have a few more red flags than the 

Ladd McConkey and Xavier Legette of the world. AD Mitchell you better be damn sure he's going to reach his potential otherwise that can be bust. 

Basically I could comfortably see these guys having better pro careers than the first three mentioned.

Ricky Pearsall

Malachi Corley

Roman Wilson

Brenden Rice

Malik Washington

Jalynn Polk

Jermaine Burton (character questions)

I think we are just realizing that it is a very good WR class with 3 great prospects at the top, 1 Uber talented guy (Thomas Jr) alone on the next tier and then a pack of guys who you might rather take in the 2nd than in the first, plus there are pretty good prospects into probably the 3rd round.

Every one of the guys after Thomas have some question marks (and Thomas does as well, but his physical ability and deep ball prowess present a pretty high floor.

Mitchell - a lot of smoke about not always putting in his best effort

McConkey - durability concerns and is he mostly a slot WR

Worthy - 165-170lbs

Coleman - separation ability and flat out speed

Franklin - rail thin, played in a conference that doesn’t play much D and his field work (not talking 40 time) at the combine was shaky.  
Legette - age, 1 year production and we as a fan base seem to be much higher on him than the draft pundits - some of whom are fairly tied into front offices.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am not pounding the table to draft Robinson, I just think he has a lot of upside - which you correctly point out that he might not reach.  

Again, I’m not advocating to take him, but I would argue that no player that they could take there is completely free of potential to be a JAG or complete bust.  I know some were against taking Elam in the first, but I don’t think that many thought that he would never see the field and would only be hanging on to a roster spot by a thread because he is a former 1st round pick.

The draft is much more inexact than people want to believe and picking as late as the Bills are makes it that much more difficult.

Yeah I didn't take your original post as you pounding the table for the guy but I was just making a general statement on my thoughts on that situation.  I mean I would love to have a monster DE but this guy just makes me nervous and it's just a position we really can't afford to take a risk on.  My opinion has been we are really looking at the next two draft classes to totally restock the cupboards and at this point I would prefer for them to wait until next year to go after DE

9 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Yeah I didn't take your original post as you pounding the table for the guy but I was just making a general statement on my thoughts on that situation.  I mean I would love to have a monster DE but this guy just makes me nervous and it's just a position we really can't afford to take a risk on.  My opinion has been we are really looking at the next two draft classes to totally restock the cupboards and at this point I would prefer for them to wait until next year to go after DE

Completely agree that this is a 2 off-season retooling.  From that perspective, I wouldn’t force WR in round 1 if there are better options at other important positions T, DT, DE, CB.

I don’t mean to imply that I am against WR in the first, I just am not “WR is the only option “

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Completely agree that this is a 2 off-season retooling.  From that perspective, I wouldn’t force WR in round 1 if there are better options at other important positions T, DT, DE, CB.

I'm on the WR train for this year but I agree that they shouldn't force anything and they need to look at this as they have two years to address these key positions so don't reach for any of them in this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm on the WR train for this year but I agree that they shouldn't force anything and they need to look at this as they have two years to address these key positions so don't reach for any of them in this draft. 

If the Bills can’t swing a deal that makes sense, or their wr choices are gone, then I would not be upset with grabbing Powers-Johnson out of Oregon.

It's the QBs to me. After Caleb and Maye, I wouldn't touch any of them in the first round. I could maybe understand McCarthy but I wouldn't want to be the team taking him in the first personally. Daniels, Nix, Penix...I don't see it with them.

13 hours ago, DCOrange said:

It's the QBs to me. After Caleb and Maye, I wouldn't touch any of them in the first round. I could maybe understand McCarthy but I wouldn't want to be the team taking him in the first personally. Daniels, Nix, Penix...I don't see it with them.

Whereas I can see it with Penix. I wouldn't draft JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix in the first round even if I was told zero QBs would declare for the next 3 drafts and this was my only shot. 

Rest assured the Raiders are going to blow their 1st round pick, Minny will take too long to get their pick in and lose it, while everyone fawns over the great draft that the Browns and Jets had and still end up as dumpster fires.

Same old ****, year in and year out.....

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...