The criticism of Josh Allen

19 hours ago, MJS said:

You are going to have to provide some examples. Most of what I hear about Allen is positive.

I asked him for that info, so they should be coming very soon--some are extremely specific, even quoted, so it should be very easy for him to get that vital information out to us.

I am eager to see which media companies, and who personally, said those things.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Josh needs to and can play better.

Turnovers are his biggest issue.

His deep ball was garbage last year. Maybe that was the shoulder.

His WR screen throws are abysmal. 

Not much else to work on.

What is McDermott going up work on to get better?

This dude is just joking here, right, just trolling?

20 hours ago, julian said:

He actually has operated at that level, in KC taking the lead not once, TWICE inside the final 2 mins but yet again… 13 seconds was too long for McDermott and his D.

This team needs more elite playmakers and they need their excellent regular season D to show up in the playoffs.

It’s not so much the players, but more so the defensive play calling,  and the soft zone / contain style defense that needs adjustments in the post season, especially in the last half of the fourth quarter, where the current scheme/ play calling fails with regularity.

We have all watched our opponents offense march down the field and handle the Bills defense with apparent ease. Either the coach is screwing up or the players are screwing up, and both are on the coaches to fix. Me, imo it is the soft zone / contain style defense that needs changing under those circumstances, jmo. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

For the Bills to win a Lombardi ALL aspects of the team must improve, coaching, player performance etc.  That includes the QB.

That's a ridiculous statement.  Claiming that Allen's among what is holding us back ...  SMH LOL 

Allen damn near best the Chiefs in '21 by himself.  

Edited by PBF81

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

That's a ridiculous statement.  Claiming that Allen's among what is holding us back ...  SMH LOL 

Allen damn near best the Chiefs in '21 by himself.  

Just stop with your nonsense.  Tom Brady worked hard every offseason to improve.  Peyton Manning did.  Look at other sports and the guys who worked hardest to improve every day were guys like Jordan and Bird.  and yes, I am quite sure Josh is doing the same.  Because he, unlike you, knows one can constantly improve.

No one is claiming Josh alone is holding the team back, only that he like EVERY OTHER ATHLETE IN RECORDED HISTORY can improve.  Does our D need to improve a helluva lot more than Josh for us to win?  Absolutely.  Coaching?  A helluva lot more, absolutely.  O line?  Yep, absolutely.

Quit with your hero worship and read what people are actually saying.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No one is claiming Josh alone is holding the team back, only that he like EVERY OTHER ATHLETE IN RECORDED HISTORY can improve.  Does our D need to improve a helluva lot more than Josh for us to win?  Absolutely.  Coaching?  A helluva lot more, absolutely.  O line?  Yep, absolutely.

Actually quite a few posters over the last couple of months have been saying exactly that.  And then when some of us get pissed off and call them out for it you and others accuse us of "hero worship".

And for the record no one is saying Allen can't get better, we agree that everyone can improve.  What we are saying is that Allen is near peak performance as a QB and he is the LAST THING preventing the Bills from taking the next step and winning a Super Bowl. 

Andy Reid coached for twenty years before reaching the Super Bowl.  The book on him during that stretch was that he was a good regular-season coach but didn't have what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.  Now he practically owns the Lombardi.

Reid didn't suddenly become a better coach.  He's the same coach he was when he supposedly wasn't good enough in the playoffs.  Making a playoff off run culminating in a Super Bowl win is hard and the stars need to align: good coaching staff, good roster, good health heading into the playoffs, maybe some luck with calls and bounces...   

Allen will be the guy who can't win big games until he does.  It's not his fault and it's not factual.  It's just how sports commentary works.  

12 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Andy Reid coached for twenty years before reaching the Super Bowl.  The book on him during that stretch was that he was a good regular-season coach but didn't have what it takes to succeed in the playoffs.  Now he practically owns the Lombardi.

Reid didn't suddenly become a better coach.  He's the same coach he was when he supposedly wasn't good enough in the playoffs.  Making a playoff off run culminating in a Super Bowl win is hard and the stars need to align: good coaching staff, good roster, good health heading into the playoffs, maybe some luck with calls and bounces...   

Allen will be the guy who can't win big games until he does.  It's not his fault and it's not factual.  It's just how sports commentary works.  

Reid was 11-13 with no Super Bowls prior to Mahomes

Reid is 15-3 with 3 Super Bowls after Mahomes

Why do people try and complicate things.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Reid DID become a better coach, little by little, year by year.  Yes, he needed luck, but his success now came from years of hard work and improvement. 

59 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Because success in football is complicated. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Actually quite a few posters over the last couple of months have been saying exactly that.  And then when some of us get pissed off and call them out for it you and others accuse us of "hero worship".

And for the record no one is saying Allen can't get better, we agree that everyone can improve.  What we are saying is that Allen is near peak performance as a QB and he is the LAST THING preventing the Bills from taking the next step and winning a Super Bowl. 

Find one single person on this board saying Josh is the sole reason we haven’t one a Super Bowl.  I’ll save you time; no one has.  What has happened is that people state correctly that he can continue to improve.  And that you and others then go into hyperbole and claim things that have not been said.

I don’t know of a single fan either personally or on this board that is not happy we have Josh as our QB.

• Like (+1) 2

We all realize how great Josh is, but until he gets to the SB critics will poke holes in his ceiling and his elite status compared to Mahomes and Burrow. He’s arguably the most exiting and visually transcendent athlete who ever played QB. His arm talent and elusive ability to avoid tacklers and aggressively advance the ball downfield with an indestructible nature is unmatched in the annals of NFL history. He makes Bills football a must see sports watch. He’s converted marginal fans to die hard Bills fans. Finally, he takes responsibility for anything negative that happens to the team. He always gives credit to teammates and coaches for winning and bleeds internally with losses. When I watch games with 3 generations of my family and friends who are so invested in Josh and this team’s fortunes, I realize how lucky we are to have lived during his career.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/31/2024 at 7:51 AM, Shaw66 said:

What's he done?

Well, he's beaten Josh Allen in the playoffs. 

His career passer rating is 6 percentage points higher.  6!   He has better completion percentage, yards per attempt, and fewer interceptions.   

Other than that, he hasn't done anything. 

IMO Burrow HAD three top WRs and the Bills HAD one in Diggs. The Bungals aren't as good as they lost most of that WR corps this off-season. Although they kept the best one. They also just lost their OC and who knows what to expect from their offense now. 

Buffalo, OTOH, is rebuilding their receiver corps and if they had a top one or two WR in last year's playoff round vs KC they could have won that game. Looking at Digg's numbers from the last two years ending playoff games it's like he went invisible. Buffalo needs a new one, two, and three WRs. Let's see if Shakir can fill one of those and newly added Curtis Samuel can fill another. 

I don't know what's up with Diggs, injury, or old age but he wasn't the same guy we all saw in 2020. Yes, he put up some decent numbers but seemed to fall off at the end of the last two seasons. 

Allen needs players who can step up in the playoffs and not fall on their faces.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

Reid was 11-13 with no Super Bowls prior to Mahomes

Reid is 15-3 with 3 Super Bowls after Mahomes

Not complicated.  Just saying that the narrative that a coach or player can't win the big game just because they haven't yet is wrong-minded.  All the conditions have to be right.  For coaches, QB is one of the conditions.  

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Reid DID become a better coach, little by little, year by year.  Yes, he needed luck, but his success now came from years of hard work and improvement. 

Because success in football is complicated. 

Shaw, you're probably right.  Reid probably did become incrementally better with experience.

But I stand by my point.  I think commentators are too quick to judge that a coach or player can't win the big one just because they haven't yet.  

An average team has a 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl.  A very talented coach or player might elevate the chances to 10% or so.   That's it.  No matter how talented a coach or player might be, they might not reach the SB.  Too many other variables are at play.  

I thought the Eagles were crazy when they sent Reid packing.  No rings - at the time - but the skill was undeniable.  I don't think Allen's lack of trophies means anything other than all the necessary conditions haven't fallen in place yet.  

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Just stop with your nonsense.  Tom Brady worked hard every offseason to improve.  Peyton Manning did.  Look at other sports and the guys who worked hardest to improve every day were guys like Jordan and Bird.  and yes, I am quite sure Josh is doing the same.  Because he, unlike you, knows one can constantly improve.

So Allen not working harder during the offseason, which even I won't dispute, then equals him being the reasons for our playoff losses.  

Sure.  OK.  

SMH  

Discussing this with you is like playing whack-a-mole in terms of what the particular focus of the discussion is.  

Sorry, but there's no "hero worship," but blaming Allen when he's been the only reason why we've even won any playoff games, besides possibly one, is absurd.  

49 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So Allen not working harder during the offseason, which even I won't dispute, then equals him being the reasons for our playoff losses.  

Sure.  OK.  

SMH  

Discussing this with you is like playing whack-a-mole in terms of what the particular focus of the discussion is.  

Sorry, but there's no "hero worship," but blaming Allen when he's been the only reason why we've even won any playoff games, besides possibly one, is absurd.  

Ok, as I’ve said you just want to engage in ridiculous hyperbole.  Here is an example, quoting from what I posted that you just referred to (capitals for emphasis):

Look at other sports and the guys who worked hardest to improve every day were guys like Jordan and Bird.  AND YES I AM QUITE SURE JOSH IS DOING THE SAME.

When you want to have an actual discussion without resorting to deliberately misstating what people say let me know.

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Eyeroll 1