McDermott is feeling the pressure

What so many Buffalo Bills fans simply don't get is... that the Chiefs have been the best team in the NFL for the last five years and Buffalo is the second winningest NFL team right behind the Chiefs. Defensive injuries have screwed this franchise the last two years

"Von Miller signed a six-year, $120 million contract with the Bills. $45 million is fully guaranteed at signing with $51.435 million guaranteed in total. Miller received an $18.25 million signing bonus according to PFT. His 2022 and 2023 salaries are fully guaranteed as is a $13 million roster bonus in 2023. $10.71 million of his 2024 salary is fully guaranteed with the balance being guaranteed in March of 2024. There are annual per-game bonuses in the contract.

Miller accepted a pay cut in 2024 reducing his salary from $17.5 million to $8.885 million per ESPN's Field Yates. We have updated his contract figures for 2024 based on a handful of reports about the pay reduction and will update further when we receive more information on the contract."

This one injury killed the Buffalo pass rush in both 2022 and 2023. Then in 2023, you had all pro, pro bowler starting LBer Matt Milano and CB Tre White both go out with season-ending injuries!  The Buffalo defense still managed to finish in the top 5 this past year. Despite half the defense on crutches for that KC playoff game. 

This sucks...but it happened and it's not the HC nor GM's fault for all these injuries. If anything both should be lauded for different reasons. Beane in trading for DB Rasul Douglas for a 3rd round pick who stepped in and played CB at a top level. Guess what, he was badly knicked up for that KC playoff game and still went out and played. McD setting a great game plan with half a crew and still only losing that Chiefs game by a FG. 

Buffalo Bills fans are sometimes like little children. They want what they want when they want it and don't care why it didn't happen. Get a grip as 30 other teams wish that they were as good as the Buffalo Bills these last five years. Particularly, Miami, the NY Jets, and the NE Patriots.

It is an exciting time to be a Buffalo Bills fan.  Make no mistake as the KC Chiefs mostly won this past year with the #2 overall defense that didn't suffer crucial injuries at the end of the season...and I hate them for it! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Have the Bills had a top ranked defense? The stats say yes but those stats were built on playing bad teams with bad QB's. Whenever they faced a good offense with a good QB they got exposed. I personally wanted to move on from McDermott after 13 seconds even though I knew that wasn't that going to happen. But the no-show vs the Bengals in playoffs was the final straw for me. He is a good regular season coach that hasn't gotten it done in the playoffs. How much longer do we have to wait before Terry makes a change if he ever does. I wanted Bill here. We all know his record when he has a good team with an elite level franchise QB. But that isn't happening either.

I'm entirely with you except for the part about Bill.  We'll probably disagree on this, but Brady made Bill, not the other way around.  That's been my position for 20 years.  

Bill's finished, whether he continues to coach or not.  If he does, you'll be glad we didn't get him IMO.  

But you're entirely on-point re: McD.  

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Outstanding post Chaos!

I would add to that by asking, is it a reasonable expectation for a coach whose team has a top ranked Defense and a generational QB like Allen, to simply win a division that's perennially one of the weakest in the league, yet be unable to beat anything but wild-card teams in the playoffs after 7 seasons.  That doesn't even address the coaching flaws that were the primary reasons for our playoff losses.  (13-Second, etc ). 

I've looked, but I can't find a single coach that has historically been considered to have been great, that never beat anything but wild-card teams come playoff time in his first 7 seasons.  The inability to do that with a 1st or 2nd ranked Defense and Allen at QB is somewhat mystifying.  

Would the Bills have a top-ranked defense without Sean McDermott?  That's also a fair question to ask.

I think it's fine to put 13 Seconds on his shoulders.  But I don't see it with the other games unless you just want to make broad generalizations, in which case you can just blame every sports team loss in history on coaching.

I listed a bunch of coaches in a previous post who didn't win the big game until several years into their careers.  Some well over a decade.  Bill Cowher.  Tony Dungy.  Bill Belichick.  Tom Coughlin.  Pete Carroll.  Andy Reid.  Not to mention the countless others who won a Super Bowl early, then never managed to repeat that success ever again.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

The point being- there are two very good examples of teams letting successful coaches who couldn't win Super Bowls go and winning the Super Bowl the VERY NEXT YEAR...I might argue we are more likely to win the Super Bowl after firing McDermott than become worse😂😂

I don't think John Fox to a Kubiak super bowl parade is really a story about the power of coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

By most accounts, the Bills and McDermott exceeded expectations in 2020.  Most wanted to see the team win the AFC East for the first time (they did) and win at least one playoff game (they actually won two).  However, their roster was (at that point) clearly a notch below the Chiefs.  We were the clear underdog in that matchup.  So not really falling short of expectations.

The last three Division losses were basically considered 50/50 matchups at best going in.  One of those games came less than a month after a player was brought back from death on the field.  Another with half the defensive starters missing with injuries, against probably the best QB in the league.  So although the Bills were considered Super Bowl contenders at certain points during the season... were they really falling short of expectations by losing to the Chiefs and Bengals once they reached the playoffs?

Even if we all agree that Josh Allen is a Top 2 quarterback in the league, you MUST ALSO point out the guy we keep falling short to is generally considered NUMBER ONE.  And Joe Burrow is usually ranked 2b or 3 at worst.  Those guys have some pretty high expectations too, and only one team can advance.

If the Bills were continually getting knocked off by inferior teams in the postseason, I could see your point.  But that's not what's happening.  They are coming up against teams that are either equal or superior with both a Quarterback and in overall team talent, and that's the hurdle we are struggling to get over.  In the case of the Chiefs, McDermott has proven he can coach the Bills to a win (3 times).  Mathematical odds mean nothing when you are talking about a sample size of 3-4 games.

Your post is as good as any for making some points here.  

To your statement that McD exceeded expecations in 2020, while true, Allen was coming off of a 20 TD/9 INT season with criticism of him mounting.  He exploded in 2020.  That had little to do with McD.  Think Belichick/Brady here.  

As to comps with other coaches, I cannot find a single coach out there, and please, seriously, let me know if there is one, that is historically considered anything better than above-average but nothing great, that never beat anything but a wild-card team in the playoffs his first 7 seasons.  And that with a #1/2/4th ranked D and Allen playing better than all but a few QBs in NFL history and providing heretofore unseen play at the NFL level.  Lewis is the closest comp.  Reid performed much better with McNabb.  McNabb!  

In Levy's first 7 seasons he took the team to five AFC CGs.  In his second season, with the 3rd ranked D and 14th ranked O, he took us to the AFC CG, with Kelly.  

In four of the next 5 seasons he took us to four straight Super Bowls with Kelly and the 6th, 19th, 14th, and 5th ranked Defenses.  

McD can't beat anything but a wild-card team, twice against weak divisional opponents, once against a team with their third-string QB, once against another team with their 2nd/3rd string QB, another with an ancient QB in his last NFL game ever.  

McD has ultimately done precious little more here since he's had Allen than Norv Turner did in San Diego with Rivers.  

None of the coaching comps that people use to compare McD to, McD, Dungy, etc., failed to beat anything but wild-card teams thereby entirely underachieving in their playoffs.  The only one that did was Marvin Lewis and last time anyone checked he's not considered a great coach.  He's strongly criticized here.  If he were our coach no doubt everyone would be calling for his ouster.  

Allen's either a generational talent at QB and better than Kelly and so many other QBs that the criticized coaches had (McNabb, Palmer, Dalton, and many more) or he isn't.  It's an uphill if not impossible argument to suggest that he isn't.  If he is, then the bar needs to be set higher than what we've gotten, particularly when accompanied with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd ranked Ds.  Under Mahomes, KC's Ds have been ranked 24th, 7th, 10th, 8th, 16th, and 2nd.  

My take on McD is that being a defensive guru, he prides himself on his defense, which is why we've devoted all of the top resources to it.  It's quietly been his goal to have the #1 D in the league if possible, all other things being secondary.  His "complimentary football" MO feeds into that 100%.  The question is whether or not that's the way and path to a Championship/Lombardi, or not.  

Those of us critical appear to believe that focusing on the offense, which he knows little about personally, and must rely upon people he hand selects to get the job done, but that job isn't to make the O the focal point of the team, it's to support his D ala "complimentary football."  Again, my take.  This is also MO as to why we'll never get a truly top-notch person in here as OC, because that person would threaten McD's tenure as HC should the team continue to fail due to our defense in the playoffs as it generally has. 

Either way, this ridiculous inability, regardless of opponent, to beat anything but 7th seeds (3 times), and once a 5th or 6th seed in the playoffs, once each, both teams with significant issues, is problematic.  None of the great coaches failed to do that, much less in 7 straight seasons.  That's a fact, how people process it is up to them.  

Allen cannot play the way he does and provide 80% of the offense far into his 30s.  He's either going to have to change his style in several years to a more of a pocket-passing QB, which will be difficult at that point, retire, or diminish in which case the team's O would diminish with him.  It would be tragic if we went five more seasons only winning the division which is mediocre to begin with, making the playoffs, failing to beat any good teams therein, while never being able to even appear in a Super Bowl.  It doesn't matter whether we have to go through Mahomes every season.  The Chiefs are not invincible.  Cincy beat them in the playoffs, so did Tampa in the Super Bowl.  Other than that, they too haven't really faced any great teams, so that whole thing is also a bit overrated.  They've faced almost no great QBs otherwise.  They simply don't make stupid mistakes and decisions, and their units show up over, not underachieving.  That can only be attributable to preparation and coaching.  Otherwise how can excelling in the regular season but choking in the playoffs be explained.  

At some point, much as it was in the '90s, fans are going to become discontent with merely making the playoffs and start expecting to at minimum go to the AFC CG every season.  Many of us are there already as McD's been given ample time/seasons to do so but has failed.  Apparently many are not there yet.  Many fans simply seem quite content simply having football to watch in Buffalo, watching Allen as if we've never had a great QB here.  LOL  In fact, for some of our younger fans, they haven't seen a great QB in Buffalo.  Which is fine, but especially given the forthcoming pricing reminding us that this is fully a business, I'd like to see more, much more, than making the playoffs followed by a Divisional-round exit.  Call me unreasonable.  

I realize that you won't agree, I'm simply trying to clarify some things that routinely go unacknowledged in these discussions.  Like comparing Reid in Philly to McD here, when Reid beat what, four, five division winners in his inaugural seasons in Philly, with McNabb, even going to a Super Bowl once after appearing in four straight Conference Championships, again, with McNabb, while McD can't advance past the Divisional Round more than once, then personally gift-wrapping the game for our opponent in snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  If we're going to discuss it, it needs to be an objective, not subjective discussion.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Would the Bills have a top-ranked defense without Sean McDermott?  That's also a fair question to ask.

I think it's fine to put 13 Seconds on his shoulders.  But I don't see it with the other games unless you just want to make broad generalizations, in which case you can just blame every sports team loss in history on coaching.

I listed a bunch of coaches in a previous post who didn't win the big game until several years into their careers.  Some well over a decade.  Bill Cowher.  Tony Dungy.  Bill Belichick.  Tom Coughlin.  Pete Carroll.  Andy Reid.  Not to mention the countless others who won a Super Bowl early, then never managed to repeat that success ever again.

Once again, the question is how many coaches, and where are they now and how has history regarded them, have failed to beat anything but wild-card teams in the playoffs?  

As to the D, what good is a top-ranked D when it plays like a bottom-ranked or incredibly average D at best come playoff time?  

I don't think that too many of us would be disappointed if we went to several AFC CGs and lost to a better team.  But that hasn't been the case.  Same for the Super Bowl.  We can't even reach the AFC CG other than once.  

Some of you make it sound like the Buffalo Bills have been great for the last ten years. Like the Chiefs were since 2013 when Reid was hired. It took 7 years for Andy Reid to get to an SB with the Chiefs. The Buffalo Bills need to take a long hard look at the Chiefs and why they don't get the injuries like Buffalo has suffered. 

A healthy Buffalo Bills defense the last two seasons and my take is that they get to the big dance. That 13-second debacle in 2020...a 94%-97% chance they win that game before the kickoff and Leslie Frazier calls for a "prevent defense"... Where is he now?

Chiefs,

2013 lost WC w Alex Smith at QB

2014, no Playoffs 9-7 " ''

2015 lost div 11-5 " ''

2016 lost div 12-4 w Alex Smith at QB

2017 lost WC 10-6 w Alex Smith at QB. (should they have fired Andy Ried at this point? )

2018 12-4 lost conf champ with Mahomes at QB

2019 12-4 won SB with Mahomes

2020 14-2 lost SB

2021 12-5 lost conf

2022 14-3 won SB

2023 11-6 won SB

That Buffalo offense didn't get good until that 2020 season. They were 23rd in points for, and 24th in yards in 2019 offensively.

BTW, In case some don't know. McD is a disciple of Andy Reid as he worked for him. He, like Reid, believes in a power-throwing first offense like Andy Reid. It's why he fired Rick Dennison and hired Brian Daboll. When the offense was falling on its face at the start of so many games in 2023, McD replaced OC Ken Dorsey with OC Joe Brady.  To go from 6-6 to 11-6! 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

When you say "this often"... it's exactly THREE games.

NFL history shows that we create these narratives based on a small sample sizes, they eventually prove to be totally wrong.

As I mentioned, Andy Reid was the guy who couldn't "rise to the occasion" in the big moment.  Now he's got three Super Bowl rings, is considered the best HC in the entire league, and very possibly isn't done yet.

Oh yeah. It’s only 3 games. Guess how many playoffs games they’ve played in the last 4 years? Omg 3. So 100% losing rate. Yes that qualifies as often. And the one year they didn’t meet in the playoffs Bills lost to the other team that has advanced further than them. Again rising to the occasion seems to be a very consistent problem since Allen has been in the playoffs.

With regards to Andy Reid. Yes he was a whipping boy in the media for failing in big moments for the majority of his career. Guess what happened to change that narrative? Yeah some kid named Mahomes showed up and now Reid is considered one of the best coaches of all time. Funny how that works. 

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You think the Bills just wilted away in 13 seconds and last year?  Have the 49's wilted away in their two SB losses?  You make it sound like the Bills are not completive or capable of winning those games, it’s simply false.  It is a fact they have lost the games but wilted away is silly.   One team has demonstrated a winning formula for the last 6 years, it is literally like the Jordan led Bulls.  What is your idea for the new staff?  Who will it be?

You might be mixing up my opinions with others. I have not said McD needed to be replaced. But it’s clear to see that this team (players and coaches) has a ceiling that is preventing them from beating the best of the best teams.

Your 49ers example is not the same. They have risen up through their bracket to the final challenge. That’s not easy to do. Just like those 90s Bills superbowl teams. This current Bills team has failed to do that and it’s on every player and coach. 

12 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

You might be mixing up my opinions with others. I have not said McD needed to be replaced. But it’s clear to see that this team (players and coaches) has a ceiling that is preventing them from beating the best of the best teams.

Your 49ers example is not the same. They have risen up through their bracket to the final challenge. That’s not easy to do. Just like those 90s Bills superbowl teams. This current Bills team has failed to do that and it’s on every player and coach. 

I understand your argument to a point.  However, personally I believe the Bills can get it done and further, that they will, I understand they have not and nothing will change people's opinion until they do.  The 49ers play in a weak conference and they have the same problem the Bills do, they cant beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.  It just happens to be true that they are in the NFC and cannot face the Chiefs unless it is in the Superbowl.  The Chiefs have been to 6 straight AGCCG's...they are consistent and hard to beat, it's like Jordan and the Bulls or another analogy I want to avoid here.

10 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I understand your argument to a point.  However, personally I believe the Bills can get it done and further, that they will, I understand they have not and nothing will change people's opinion until they do.  The 49ers play in a weak conference and they have the same problem the Bills do, they cant beat the Chiefs in the playoffs.  It just happens to be true that they are in the NFC and cannot face the Chiefs unless it is in the Superbowl.  The Chiefs have been to 6 straight AGCCG's...they are consistent and hard to beat, it's like Jordan and the Bulls or another analogy I want to avoid here.

The 49ers path in the NFC is definitely easier. Yeah in a sense they have the same problem that the Bills do relative to one team they can’t beat.

Completely agree with you that the Bills can get it done. It will require the two biggest parts of the team, HC and qb, to be better than they have ever been. Allen needs to evolve to a more complete qb when facing the big moments and McD needs to stop overthinking in those moments. 

Yeah I hear ya about MJ and the Bulls. Bills are becoming more and more like the Knicks of that era. SF, of course, is the Jazz. Appreciate you not using that other analogy. Haha

17 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Belichick wanted Brady gone...so after 2019, he was. They drafted Jones in 2021 after realizing that Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham, and Brian Hoyer weren't gonna get it done 7-9 that season. 

Like I said, I had my doubts that Buffalo could get past the Patriots, and when they did 47-17 in that playoff game IN New England with Mac Jones at QB. I then realized that Belichick was no longer the defensive genius he once was and was no longer a threat for the division title.

Things change... and who knows how long Andy Reid and the Chiefs will be that SB-winning team as nothing lasts forever. That division now has two real threats at HC in Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton. Buffalo has beaten the Chiefs in KC more than any other team and now needs to have a defense that stays healthy all season. 

Have some faith man! Buffalo has a very, very good HC that has had his team screwed by defensive injuries the last two seasons. Von Miller getting hurt really killed the team's pass rush at the end of the last two years. A youth movement was needed.

How long should MCD get? 10 years? 15? at what point would he be considered a failure? Just curious. I want to have faith. I really do but frankly the 13 second loss has left me very salty and he should of been fired the next day. With each year the pressure on him increases, fair or not. He doesnt come across as someone that handles pressure effectively. There are too many occasions where the Bills lose and we are all scratching our heads at the coaching decisions being made. If he did not have Josh Allen at QB he would be a losing coach. His winning record is a direct result of #17. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

After 3 consecutive losing seasons. If McDermott has that he is gone. In fact I am not sure he'd get three. Barring a major Allen injury I'm not sure he'd get one. 

fair point 

17 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

After how many years? I had to look it up and was shocked....15 for Marvin. 

yeah, he was there forever it seemed like, and honestly the Bengals had some weird luck in the playoffs too 

I would certainly hope McD's feeling the pressure.......a top 5 D the past 5 years and can still barely win a playoff game.

"Trust the process".......if the process involves colossal collapses of his D in big games, then the "process" is working. No lead is ever safe, and heaven help us if a game goes down to the wire cause dollars to doughnuts, the odds are against us with penalties, piss poor clock management, etc. 

We've been trusting the process for about 7 years now......when does it actually come to fruition?

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Some of you make it sound like the Buffalo Bills have been great for the last ten years. Like the Chiefs were since 2013 when Reid was hired. It took 7 years for Andy Reid to get to an SB with the Chiefs. The Buffalo Bills need to take a long hard look at the Chiefs and why they don't get the injuries like Buffalo has suffered. 

A healthy Buffalo Bills defense the last two seasons and my take is that they get to the big dance. That 13-second debacle in 2020...a 94%-97% chance they win that game before the kickoff and Leslie Frazier calls for a "prevent defense"... Where is he now?

Chiefs,

2013 lost WC w Alex Smith at QB

2014, no Playoffs 9-7 " ''

2015 lost div 11-5 " ''

2016 lost div 12-4 w Alex Smith at QB

2017 lost WC 10-6 w Alex Smith at QB. (should they have fired Andy Ried at this point? )

2018 12-4 lost conf champ with Mahomes at QB

2019 12-4 won SB with Mahomes

2020 14-2 lost SB

2021 12-5 lost conf

2022 14-3 won SB

2023 11-6 won SB

That Buffalo offense didn't get good until that 2020 season. They were 23rd in points for, and 24th in yards in 2019 offensively.

BTW, In case some don't know. McD is a disciple of Andy Reid as he worked for him. He, like Reid, believes in a power-throwing first offense like Andy Reid. It's why he fired Rick Dennison and hired Brian Daboll. When the offense was falling on its face at the start of so many games in 2023, McD replaced OC Ken Dorsey with OC Joe Brady.  To go from 6-6 to 11-6! 

The difference between Reid and McD in playoff performance is pronounced.  And that's Reid with McNabb, not Mahomes.  

Conspicuously missing from your brief and extremely limited assessment is the name Allen.  

Allen is already considered among the best QBs of all-time.  

So, when you're ready to add some validity and veracity to your argument, name all of the coaches that are/were considered to be/have-been well above average, that entirely failed to beat anything but a wild-card team (i.e. not one single division-winner) in 7 seasons featuring 6 playoffs.  

If you can do that, you have a chance at convincing people.  If not, and from what I've researched, there are none, then that needs to be factored into your argument.  

Another aspect to it is explaining why during the regular season we have one of the best Defenses, if not the best defense, in the league, but in the playoffs it's the opposite, we have one of the worst generally speaking.  Again, if you can do that, you'll have a much better chance of convincing people.  

After 7 seasons many of us have reached a ceiling in our expectations, ... based upon 7 seasons of evidence that is.  How many seasons of evidence is necessary?  Serious question.  What, 12?  15?  20?  

Allen won't be along that long and our chances diminish terminally once he is no longer here.  

The way that this is fixin' to go down is that we'll never win a Super Bowl, may not even be in one, Allen will leave, and whether here or elsewhere McD will prove the very average coach that he is, and then and only then will people begin to say that he was overrated because he had Allen.  

Funny too, some of us said the same about Belichick who's done absolutely zilch apart from Brady, ever, but that only finally took root recently too.  

Oh well ... 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What so many Buffalo Bills fans simply don't get is... that the Chiefs have been the best team in the NFL for the last five years and Buffalo is the second winningest NFL team right behind the Chiefs. Defensive injuries have screwed this franchise the last two years

"Von Miller signed a six-year, $120 million contract with the Bills. $45 million is fully guaranteed at signing with $51.435 million guaranteed in total. Miller received an $18.25 million signing bonus according to PFT. His 2022 and 2023 salaries are fully guaranteed as is a $13 million roster bonus in 2023. $10.71 million of his 2024 salary is fully guaranteed with the balance being guaranteed in March of 2024. There are annual per-game bonuses in the contract.

Miller accepted a pay cut in 2024 reducing his salary from $17.5 million to $8.885 million per ESPN's Field Yates. We have updated his contract figures for 2024 based on a handful of reports about the pay reduction and will update further when we receive more information on the contract."

This one injury killed the Buffalo pass rush in both 2022 and 2023. Then in 2023, you had all pro, pro bowler starting LBer Matt Milano and CB Tre White both go out with season-ending injuries!  The Buffalo defense still managed to finish in the top 5 this past year. Despite half the defense on crutches for that KC playoff game. 

This sucks...but it happened and it's not the HC nor GM's fault for all these injuries. If anything both should be lauded for different reasons. Beane in trading for DB Rasul Douglas for a 3rd round pick who stepped in and played CB at a top level. Guess what, he was badly knicked up for that KC playoff game and still went out and played. McD setting a great game plan with half a crew and still only losing that Chiefs game by a FG. 

Buffalo Bills fans are sometimes like little children. They want what they want when they want it and don't care why it didn't happen. Get a grip as 30 other teams wish that they were as good as the Buffalo Bills these last five years. Particularly, Miami, the NY Jets, and the NE Patriots.

It is an exciting time to be a Buffalo Bills fan.  Make no mistake as the KC Chiefs mostly won this past year with the #2 overall defense that didn't suffer crucial injuries at the end of the season...and I hate them for it! 

Thank god someone took the time to point this out.  Well done.

6 hours ago, kota said:

Thank god someone took the time to point this out.  Well done.

Thanks. 

6 hours ago, PBF81 said:

The difference between Reid and McD in playoff performance is pronounced.  And that's Reid with McNabb, not Mahomes.  

Conspicuously missing from your brief and extremely limited assessment is the name Allen.  

Allen is already considered among the best QBs of all-time.  

So, when you're ready to add some validity and veracity to your argument, name all of the coaches that are/were considered to be/have-been well above average, that entirely failed to beat anything but a wild-card team (i.e. not one single division-winner) in 7 seasons featuring 6 playoffs.  

If you can do that, you have a chance at convincing people.  If not, and from what I've researched, there are none, then that needs to be factored into your argument.  

Another aspect to it is explaining why during the regular season we have one of the best Defenses, if not the best defense, in the league, but in the playoffs it's the opposite, we have one of the worst generally speaking.  Again, if you can do that, you'll have a much better chance of convincing people.  

After 7 seasons many of us have reached a ceiling in our expectations, ... based upon 7 seasons of evidence that is.  How many seasons of evidence is necessary?  Serious question.  What, 12?  15?  20?  

Allen won't be along that long and our chances diminish terminally once he is no longer here.  

The way that this is fixin' to go down is that we'll never win a Super Bowl, may not even be in one, Allen will leave, and whether here or elsewhere McD will prove the very average coach that he is, and then and only then will people begin to say that he was overrated because he had Allen.  

Funny too, some of us said the same about Belichick who's done absolutely zilch apart from Brady, ever, but that only finally took root recently too.  

Oh well ... 

From a few posts above. 

11 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

It hasn't been 7 seasons, it's been since 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023. And injuries on the defensive side have derailed the team the last two years. Also, in 2020 the Buffalo Bills went to the AFC Conference Championship at Kansas City.

On another note, take a long hard look at the Green Bay Packers from 2008 to 2022 with the 4x time League MVP at QB in Aaron Rodgers. In his 17 seasons in GB, they went to only ONE SB in all that time and won it. They had 4 seasons where they didn't even make the playoffs. 2 WC losses, and 4 division losses.  

Josh Allen isn't going anywhere anytime soon as he loves the city of Buffalo, Buffalo fans, and the Buffalo Bills. 

My take is Beane and McD in being first times in their respective jobs might have figured out that while veteran free agent players might come into the team and perform well. They also might be more injury-prone due to being older. I do believe this FO is heading the team to a youth movement to cut down on injuries later on in the season. Just a thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Thanks. 

From a few posts above. 

It hasn't been 7 seasons, it's been since 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023. And injuries on the defensive side have derailed the team the last two years. Also, in 2020 the Buffalo Bills went to the AFC Conference Championship at Kansas City.

On another note, take a long hard look at the Green Bay Packers from 2008 to 2022 with the 4x time League MVP at QB in Aaron Rodgers. In his 17 seasons in GB, they went to only ONE SB in all that time and won it. They had 4 seasons where they didn't even make the playoffs. 2 WC losses, and 4 division losses.  

Josh Allen isn't going anywhere anytime soon as he loves the city of Buffalo, Buffalo fans, and the Buffalo Bills. 

My take is Beane and McD in being first times in their respective jobs might have figured out that while veteran free agent players might come into the team and perform well. They also might be more injury-prone due to being older. I do believe this FO is heading the team to a youth movement to cut down on injuries later on in the season. Just a thought. 

You have difficulty with basic comprehension apparently.

That does not alter the facts as presented one bit.  You going off on an emotional filibuster didn't alter that.  

There's not much sense in us discussing this further.  

On 3/25/2024 at 4:52 PM, Ethan in Cleveland said:

My bias against McDermott is well documented. 

Wondering how others view his post-season PC and recent interview calling critics narrow minded. He also stated its hard to win in the NFL. I recall a prior HC pilloried on this site for saying the exact same words. 

My take on the PC was that he was very defensive. Without even being asked. He launched into a defense of his tenure as coach even dating back to prior seasons. 

And now he calls critics narrow minded for wondering if the Bills will win a SB with him as HC. You have to belive at this point the thought has crossed Beane and Pegula's mind. He's trying to defend at best status quo to perhaps taking a step or two back from 13 seconds. 

Then the most ridiculous statement of all. 

"We're looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he's been, and continue to evolve." 

I mean WTF. What team has he been coaching? Does he think Hyde and Poyer were the face of the franchise?? Is he trying to lay blame on Allen? Without Allen McDermott might be coaching DBs in Kansas City.  Was Allen on the field when the defense crumbled multiple times against Denver,Philadelphia, and others. KC only stopped themselves in the playoff game. If not for a goal line fumble the Bills are not even close in that game. 

It may not seem that I'm open minded but I really try. I've gave McDermott praise many times last year.

So what does the board think? 

For those that crucified Jauron how do you take the It’s hard to win in the NFL line?

For those that defend McDermott, what do you all think?

Not if, but WHEN we bow out of the playoffs yet again next year, the window for Pegula to ditch McDimwit might start to open.

I don't think his firing is a sure thing however.

As long as he's here managing games from the sidelines, and favoring D over O with a top 2 or 3 QB in the league, don't expect much to change in terms of the big picture.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1