Trump Bloodbath / Immigrants Are Animals / Fine People HOAXES

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

I’m not one of the “you guys” but am fine with the generalization. It’s what you guys do. See what I did there?

I’m not as terrified of hyberbole and rhetoric as the lefties of the board seem to be. I’m more terrified when speech, even of the idiot variety, is suppressed. 

Yeah, I get a lot of that "you guys" about me. So I'll try to avoid that.

It is hyperbole. I get that. It is his style of doing business, the old start the bargaining with an outrageous proposal, threaten to leave the deal, then hammer out a decent deal. But we've seen it not work so well in government. The judicial branch enjoins it and says Congress needs to authorize it. The legislative branch won't legislate it. International allies won't back it. The proposal is so out there that you can't get clear majority support with the voters. And so it's chaos. Again. I don't like chaos. Some people apparently do.

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes, I would agree that it is said at least half tongue-in-cheek. And there is something of a stand-up (sit down here) comedian to his act. People love it, and even I thought it could be fun at the start but that it's worn awfully thin by now.

And to be honest, I'm not that worked up about this one.

Of course you're not.  You're not a simpleton.   By the way--I think Trump is at his absolute best in situations like that.  Engaging, mischievous, irreverent and funny.  I mean look at this--the border is an absolute $#@^fest, with people victimized on both sides of the border, the state of Texas tEEbagging the great liberal cities of the land, and watching them crack almost immediately.   Of all the many problems this country faces, Trump's dictator for a day comments is not even close to my concern. 

But as I said: this is fodder for any litigants that want to use to enjoin whatever he might issue on "Day One" (and probably Day Two, Three, and beyond). There's really no escaping that. So he's shooting his prospective administration in the foot before it even begins. You mean there's not a way to fire up your base without promising that you'd violate the constitution?

Great point, and completely understandable from the perspective of a lawyer.  Respectfully (and I mean this, a good attorney is an unbelievable asset), to the average person, that's more than half the problem with politicians and lawyers.  The border smolders, tens of thousands of people victimized, but the REAL problem is Trump joking about dictatorship.  Still, lots of people get really, really wealthy while others are all riled up. 

As for firing up the base, in our system, that's the way it's done.  

These are the things that make me think he's just not very smart. And/or that all he cares about is winning the election, not actually governing.

He's a graduate of the Wharton School of Business, made scoodles of dollars navigating the dirty world of NYC real estate, scoodles more in the entertainment field, and nothing was an issue until he crossed the line to run for President, which turned out to be an historically successful campaign. 

Then, suddenly, as if by magic, he was a Putin stooge, illegitimate president and all that came with that.  

I think conversations on who may be smart, who not so much can be had, but we would probably disagree on who is whom.  Or, whom is who.  Or whom is whom. 

Thoughts on DJT just wanting to win, or method of governing, yeah, maybe. 

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The hoops these people will jump through to try to do immediate revisionist history on Trump's idiotic quips never ceases to amaze me. Here's exactly what he said (from the AP, and I've watched the clip and it is completely accurate):

Fox News host Sean Hannity gave his longtime friend a chance to assure the American people that he wouldn’t abuse power or seek retribution if he wins a second term.

But instead of offering a perfunctory answer brushing off the warnings, Trump stoked the fire.

“Except for day one,” the GOP front-runner said Tuesday night before a live audience in Davenport, Iowa. “I want to close the border, and I want to drill, drill, drill.”

And in case anyone missed it, he reenacted the exchange.

“We love this guy,” Trump said of Hannity. “He says, ‘You’re not going to be a dictator, are you?’ I said: ‘No, no, no, other than day one. We’re closing the border, and we’re drilling, drilling, drilling. After that, I’m not a dictator.’”

Here's some random fool trying to explain it away.

Lab techs generally don't take Philosophy 201, Logic, so I'll help:

"I will not be a dictator unless and only unless it is Day One of my presidency" is logically equivalent to "I will be a dictator on Day One of my presidency."

Um, yes.  No one is disagreeing with that.  Do you know the context of that statement?

Finding Qanon doing his lawyer best hand waving.

Dude it's time to stop digging, unless of course you enjoy looking like a fool.

Anyone else but Trump says those same sequence of words and everyone laughs it off.....because he's clearly poking FUN AT THE WHOLE SITUATION.

You know how that question never comes up and we don't get a smirking Trump joking about the entire ridiculous situation?

When we don't have media and useful idiots telling everyone that Trump coming back to White House is the second coming of Hitler.

But you're all useful idiot hacks, so we can't have that.

A graduate level "logic" course can't penetrate the useful idiot grey matter of FQ.

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Transparency: 

I used to feel that exchanging thoughts with you was a worthwhile endeavor.  As with all posters, I assume they are who they say they are with respect to occupation, education, background or whatever they choose to share.  It just makes things easier. 

Over the past couple months, I've noticed that you seem to have trouble keeping track of things you've posted a just day(s) or weeks earlier.  I've withheld commentary on that because it seems unsporting, and beyond that, what's the harm?   However, this, coupled with your prolific penchant for puffery has caused me to reconsider the value of what you offer.  

Thank you again. 

You try so hard.  All I can think of is the word "prosaic"...

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Of course you're not.  You're not a simpleton.   By the way--I think Trump is at his absolute best in situations like that.  Engaging, mischievous, irreverent and funny.  I mean look at this--the border is an absolute $#@^fest, with people victimized on both sides of the border, the state of Texas tEEbagging the great liberal cities of the land, and watching them crack almost immediately.   Of all the many problems this country faces, Trump's dictator for a day comments is not even close to my concern. 

Great point, and completely understandable from the perspective of a lawyer.  Respectfully (and I mean this, a good attorney is an unbelievable asset), to the average person, that's more than half the problem with politicians and lawyers.  The border smolders, tens of thousands of people victimized, but the REAL problem is Trump joking about dictatorship.  Still, lots of people get really, really wealthy while others are all riled up. 

As for firing up the base, in our system, that's the way it's done.  

He's a graduate of the Wharton School of Business, made scoodles of dollars navigating the dirty world of NYC real estate, scoodles more in the entertainment field, and nothing was an issue until he crossed the line to run for President, which turned out to be an historically successful campaign. 

Then, suddenly, as if by magic, he was a Putin stooge, illegitimate president and all that came with that.  

I think conversations on who may be smart, who not so much can be had, but we would probably disagree on who is whom.  Or, whom is who.  Or whom is whom. 

Thoughts on DJT just wanting to win, or method of governing, yeah, maybe. 

As for "smart" -- believe me, I know there are different kinds of intelligence. My dad was very good at business deal making, and made a good (albeit not exactly Trumpian) career our of it. I have always been acutely aware that I did not inherit the genes for that. It's just never been in my skill set. 

But I think a lot of people made a mistake - not the least Trump himself - of thinking that business/property development deal-making skills translate to U.S. governmental and international relations. Ross Perot, Michael Bloomberg ... they didn't have a chance to demonstrate that they don't (most notably because they learned that their skills don't translate into "running a political campaign"), but Trump has. And he hasn't learned. 

This is a long read, ostensibly a very late-in-the-game book review of The Art of the Deal. I found it pretty convincing with respect to what Trump does remarkably well, and why it doesn't necessarily translate into other arenas:

https://slatestarcodex.com/2016/03/19/book-review-the-art-of-the-deal/

Overall the effect was that of an infodump from an autistic child with a special interest in real estate development, which was both oddly endearing and not-so-oddly very boring.

I started the book with the question: what exactly do real estate developers do? They don’t design buildings; they hire an architect for that part. They don’t construct the buildings; they hire a construction company for that part. They don’t manage the buildings; they hire a management company for that part. They’re not even the capitalist who funds the whole thing; they get a loan from a bank for that. So what do they do? Why don’t you or I take out a $100 million loan from a bank, hire a company to build a $100 million skyscraper, and then rent it out for somewhat more than $100 million and become rich?

As best I can tell, the developer’s job is coordination. This often means blatant lies. The usual process goes like this: the bank would be happy to lend you the money as long as you have guaranteed renters. The renters would be happy to sign up as long as you show them a design. The architect would be happy to design the building as long as you tell them what the government’s allowing. The government would be happy to give you your permit as long as you have a construction company lined up. And the construction company would be happy to sign on with you as long as you have the money from the bank in your pocket. Or some kind of complicated multi-step catch-22 like that. The solution – or at least Trump’s solution – is to tell everybody that all the other players have agreed and the deal is completely done except for their signature. The trick is to lie to the right people in the right order, so that by the time somebody checks to see whether they’ve been conned, you actually do have the signatures you told them that you had. The whole thing sounds very stressful.

The developer’s other job is dealing with regulations. The way Trump tells it, there are so many regulations on development in New York City in particular and America in general that erecting anything larger than a folding chair requires the full resources of a multibillion dollar company and half the law firms in Manhattan. Once the government grants approval it’s likely to add on new conditions when you’re halfway done building the skyscraper, insist on bizarre provisions that gain it nothing but completely ruin your chance of making a profit, or just stonewall you for the heck of it if you didn’t donate to the right people’s campaigns last year. Reading about the system makes me both grateful and astonished that any structures have ever been erected in the United States at all, and somewhat worried that if anything ever happens to Donald Trump and a few of his close friends, the country will lose the ability to legally construct artificial shelter and we will all have to go back to living in caves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Sometimes it's helpful to remember the old adages:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can really offend me."

Good for you, Andy, for standing up for those voters, uh, bullied in some way, um, by the use of a word that, uh, is used frequently without offense, in a non-bullying fashion to um, describe an  economic outcome.  

#outlawbloodbath

Oh my goodness! I can’t believe I misunderstood the guy who quotes Hitler. Why would anyone ever think he would be using bloodbath in a violent context? Of course, “bloodbath for the country” must mean bloodbath for the auto industry. 

For a guy who knows “all the best words”, he sure has a hard time communicating. Almost like he has a mental disability or something. 

48 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Oh my goodness! I can’t believe I misunderstood the guy who quotes Hitler. Why would anyone ever think he would be using bloodbath in a violent context? Of course, “bloodbath for the country” must mean bloodbath for the auto industry. 

For a guy who knows “all the best words”, he sure has a hard time communicating. Almost like he has a mental disability or something. 

He's a walking run on sentence.  He'll be great at being the guy at the corner bar who shows up at noon and doesn't stop talking until 6:30 when he leaves.  

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

As for "smart" -- believe me, I know there are different kinds of intelligence. My dad was very good at business deal making, and made a good (albeit not exactly Trumpian) career our of it. I have always been acutely aware that I did not inherit the genes for that. It's just never been in my skill set. 

But I think a lot of people made a mistake - not the least Trump himself - of thinking that business/property development deal-making skills translate to U.S. governmental and international relations. Ross Perot, Michael Bloomberg ... they didn't have a chance to demonstrate that they don't (most notably because they learned that their skills don't translate into "running a political campaign"), but Trump has. And he hasn't learned. 

This is a long read, ostensibly a very late-in-the-game book review of The Art of the Deal. I found it pretty convincing with respect to what Trump does remarkably well, and why it doesn't necessarily translate into other arenas:

https://slatestarcodex.com/2016/03/19/book-review-the-art-of-the-deal/

Overall the effect was that of an infodump from an autistic child with a special interest in real estate development, which was both oddly endearing and not-so-oddly very boring.

I started the book with the question: what exactly do real estate developers do? They don’t design buildings; they hire an architect for that part. They don’t construct the buildings; they hire a construction company for that part. They don’t manage the buildings; they hire a management company for that part. They’re not even the capitalist who funds the whole thing; they get a loan from a bank for that. So what do they do? Why don’t you or I take out a $100 million loan from a bank, hire a company to build a $100 million skyscraper, and then rent it out for somewhat more than $100 million and become rich?

As best I can tell, the developer’s job is coordination. This often means blatant lies. The usual process goes like this: the bank would be happy to lend you the money as long as you have guaranteed renters. The renters would be happy to sign up as long as you show them a design. The architect would be happy to design the building as long as you tell them what the government’s allowing. The government would be happy to give you your permit as long as you have a construction company lined up. And the construction company would be happy to sign on with you as long as you have the money from the bank in your pocket. Or some kind of complicated multi-step catch-22 like that. The solution – or at least Trump’s solution – is to tell everybody that all the other players have agreed and the deal is completely done except for their signature. The trick is to lie to the right people in the right order, so that by the time somebody checks to see whether they’ve been conned, you actually do have the signatures you told them that you had. The whole thing sounds very stressful.

The developer’s other job is dealing with regulations. The way Trump tells it, there are so many regulations on development in New York City in particular and America in general that erecting anything larger than a folding chair requires the full resources of a multibillion dollar company and half the law firms in Manhattan. Once the government grants approval it’s likely to add on new conditions when you’re halfway done building the skyscraper, insist on bizarre provisions that gain it nothing but completely ruin your chance of making a profit, or just stonewall you for the heck of it if you didn’t donate to the right people’s campaigns last year. Reading about the system makes me both grateful and astonished that any structures have ever been erected in the United States at all, and somewhat worried that if anything ever happens to Donald Trump and a few of his close friends, the country will lose the ability to legally construct artificial shelter and we will all have to go back to living in caves.

That’s an awesome read and makes a lot of sense to me.  I’ve dabbled in real estate on a limited level, run in circles with a few people who have found great success.  What I’ve found on our local level is that there are times, not infrequent, when representatives of the government looked to wet their beak as well.   In NYC, I’d assume it’s just a cost of doing business and it always is what it always was, and likely will be in the future in spite of what happened to Trump. 

On the national/international stage, you’re likely 100% correct on Trump and how he wants to operate.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Andy1 said:

Try considering all the words uttered, sequentially, and the subject being addressed.  It will lighten the load. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:24 PM, Tommy Callahan said:

^^^^^^^^^^ another one with pictures of the orange dude in its device

kinda creepy

The one with Putin and Trump looks kind of gay to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1