We are set at WR. Maybe we’ll grab one in Round 6.

I would be rather shocked to see us get a WR in round 1 at this point for multiple reasons. I even think round 2 is a stretch given our needs. Samuel is basically guaranteed to be here in 2025, as are Diggs and Shakir. I would expect any rookie drafted to be brought along slowly. Maybe we use our 4th to trade up for a WR or maybe we get a couple of late round prospects and see if one of them can become the next Shakir or Gabe Davis. More likley that they'll draft Diggs replacement next year when they should have less holes to fill and it makes more financial sense.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I would be rather shocked to see us get a WR in round 1 at this point for multiple reasons. I even think round 2 is a stretch given our needs. Samuel is basically guaranteed to be here in 2025, as are Diggs and Shakir. I would expect any rookie drafted to be brought along slowly. Maybe we use our 4th to trade up for a WR or maybe we get a couple of late round prospects and see if one of them can become the next Shakir or Gabe Davis. More likley that they'll draft Diggs replacement next year when they should have less holes to fill and it makes more financial sense.

A year from now Diggs will be older his play may fall off and maybe wants out. Samuel maybe doesn’t meet expectations or gets hurt and Shakir doesn’t take the next step . 

We need to keep giving our FRANCHISE QB ammo.

WR1 early is paramount this year 

• Agree 1

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

So, your presumption is they are basically going to pass on one of the deepest drafts at WR because of holes on D and Curtis Samuel? I hope they go WR at #28, but if they don't, my bet would be on WR day 2. (And I'm not sold on Diggs being here in 2025.)

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

So, your presumption is they are basically going to pass on one of the deepest drafts at WR because of holes on D and Curtis Samuel? I hope they go WR at #28, but if they don't, my bet would be on WR day 2. (And I'm not sold on Diggs being here in 2025.)

Like I said, It wouldn't shock me to see them get on in round 3/4, which would align with them NOT passing on WR drafts and taking advantage of the depth rather than the top end talent. But given that I think they'll be drafting one late, I think the replacement is likely to be an eventual WR2/WR3 instead of a future WR1.

I don't see Samuel as an elite player, but he's guaranteed 2 years of salary, and at $7M per, the Bills likely envision him being a significant part of their offense. Diggs has a $22M dead cap hit if we move on from him after this year, so again, he's a part of our offense through next season, and Shakir is cost controlled and on the rise. Furthermore, rookie WRs, even future great ones, rarely make significant impacts. For all of those reasons, I think it unlikely that Beane views WRs as a top priority going into the draft. We have massive gaps at S, OL, CB that need to be addressed and evena  hole at DE and I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them picked in the draft ahead of 2024's WR4/WR5

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Like I said, It wouldn't shock me to see them get on in round 3/4, which would align with them NOT passing on WR drafts and taking advantage of the depth rather than the top end talent. But given that I think they'll be drafting one late, I think the replacement is likely to be an eventual WR2/WR3 instead of a future WR1.

I don't see Samuel as an elite player, but he's guaranteed 2 years of salary, and at $7M per, the Bills likely envision him being a significant part of their offense. Diggs has a $22M dead cap hit if we move on from him after this year, so again, he's a part of our offense through next season, and Shakir is cost controlled and on the rise. Furthermore, rookie WRs, even future great ones, rarely make significant impacts. For all of those reasons, I think it unlikely that Beane views WRs as a top priority going into the draft. We have massive gaps at S, OL, CB that need to be addressed and evena  hole at DE and I wouldn't be surprised to see all of them picked in the draft ahead of 2024's WR4/WR5

A team with a #1 WR that is 31, a #2 WR that is 29 and a #3 WR who is on the final year of his contract should NEVER pass up a WR in the first round because "they are good enough" now.  That's how you become very bad, very quick, because you have the cupboards bare in the upcoming talent pipeline. Taking a WR at #1 gives them a year before they are expected to step in and play a huge role and to get acclimated to things.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

I will neither "face it" or "deal with it."

This is like people saying the 2017 Bills were set because they had Kelvin Benjamin, Brandon Tate, Zay Jones and Deonte Thompson... but this time we have 31 year old Stefon Diggs, too!

But we have Dalton Kincaid! Oh yeah? Well they had Logan Thomas who put up 72 receptions, 670 yards & 6 TDs his first year with Washington! 😉

We NEED more young, ELITE talent. The draft is where we have to look.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Okay, seems to me that WR is having immediate impact more frequently. For example, Nacua last year. 

I think they will sign a vet S, but even if they don't, you don't ordinarily spend a first on one. (I just did a mock where I took Cooper DeJean, however, because I think McD  would want him badly if he fell that far.) I don't see massive gaps on OL, but I do think they should keep drafting OL. You can find a C early day 3 that could be good, btw. 

I'll be more shocked if they wait on WR past round 2, and it would be a mistake to do so, imo. Personally, if AD Mitchell is sitting there, I'm taking him. Thomas, too, but he won't be. I like Legette, but it looks like you could trade back and get him, which might happen.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

A team with a #1 WR that is 31, a #2 WR that is 29 and a #3 WR who is on the final year of his contract should NEVER pass up a WR in the first round because "they are good enough" now.  That's how you become very bad, very quick, because you have the cupboards bare in the upcoming talent pipeline. Taking a WR at #1 gives them a year before they are expected to step in and play a huge role and to get acclimated to things.

Maybe maybe not. I don't see any of those things you listed as dire.  I guess we'll see what Beane thinks.

BTW Diggs is 30 and Samuel is 27, and Shakir has 2 years on his deal, not one.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

Okay, seems to me that WR is having immediate impact more frequently. For example, Nacua last year. 

I think they will sign a vet S, but even if they don't, you don't ordinarily spend a first on one. (I just did a mock where I took Cooper DeJean, however, because I think McD  would want him badly if he fell that far.) I don't see massive gaps on OL, but I do think they should keep drafting OL. You can find a C early day 3 that could be good, btw. 

I'll be more shocked if they wait on WR past round 2, and it would be a mistake to do so, imo. Personally, if AD Mitchell is sitting there, I'm taking him. Thomas, too, but he won't be. I like Legette, but it looks like you could trade back and get him, which might happen.

Where was he drafted?

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Maybe maybe not. I don't see any of those things you listed as dire.  I guess we'll see what Beane thinks.

BTW Diggs is 30 and Samuel is 27, and Shakir has 2 years on his deal, not one.

Where was he drafted?

I understand, but that is like saying you can wait on QB till the sixth because Tom Brady. The bulk of the excellent WR depth in this draft is going to be gone probably before 60, but definitely day 2. It's plain stupid to pass on that, especially with Diggs on the wrong side of 30.

Edited by Dr. Who

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I understand, but that is like saying you can wait on QB till the sixth because Tom Brady. The bulk of the excellent WR depth in this draft is going to be gone probably before 60, but definitely day 2. It's plain stupid to pass on that, especially with Diggs on the wrong side of 30.

Ok. So you do that so now your WR5 is locked up, but who are you starting at Free Safety?
The 4th round rookie you drafted instead of prioritizing your needs?

Who is your first CB in when Benford or Douglas get a breather or get banged up?
Cam Lewis?

I just don't see it as a high priority need at all. You can get productive WRs on the street.

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I’m starting to think the same thing- not sure if we’d bypass certain WRs in rd 2 if they’re there, but I could see us taking DE, S, OT or IOL if they are BPA.

Diggs

Samuel

Shakir

Hollins 

day 2 or 3 draft pick

Shorter/cheap FA WR

i really think Cooper Dejean will be our pick if he’s there (because I think he’ll likely be the BPA IF available @28 and has the versatility McD loves).  Chop Robinson could be next up, but his size may not be what McD is looking for.  Darius Robinson does though

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ok. So you do that so now your WR5 is locked up, but who are you starting at Free Safety?

Who is your first CB in when Benford or Douglas get a breather or get banged up?
Cam Lewis?

I just don't see it as a high priority need at all. You can get productive WRs on the street.

That is hyperbole, you can't or everyone would.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m starting to think the same thing- not sure if we’d bypass certain WRs in rd 2 if they’re there, but I could see us taking DE, S, OT or IOL if they are BPA.

Diggs

Samuel

Shakir

Hollins 

day 2 or 3 draft pick

Shorter/cheap FA WR

i really think Cooper Dejean will be our pick if he’s there (because I think he’ll likely be the BPA IF available @28 and has the versatility McD loves).  Chop Robinson could be next up, but his size may not be what McD is looking for.  Darius Robinson does though

I hate the edge players at #28. Dejean, I could understand. If that's the play, they better go get Legette or Coleman in the second.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Cam Lewis?

The Bills are in the same position that they were in last year at WR when they weren’t good enough. Samuel replaces Gabe/Harty and Hollins replaces Sherfield. They needed a number 2 last year and still do. There’s NOTHING more important than giving Josh weapons. With where WR contracts have gone it is even more of a priority. They likely take one with their first pick. At worst, they take one with their 2nd. 

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills are in the same position that they were in last year at WR when they weren’t good enough. Samuel replaces Gabe/Harty and Hollins replaces Sherfield. They needed a number 2 last year and still do. There’s NOTHING more important than giving Josh weapons. With where WR contracts have gone it is even more of a priority. They likely take one with their first pick. At worst, they take one with their 2nd. 

Davis is better than Samuel. Davis could get down field. Early in the season teams accounted for him. Not so much by the end. Regardless, Davis is better than Samuel. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, boyst said:

Davis is better than Samuel. Davis could get down field. Early in the season teams accounted for him. Not so much by the end. Regardless, Davis is better than Samuel. 

Yeah, I like the idea of Samuel replaces Harty, Weirdo Hollins replaces Sherfield. They haven't replaced Davis yet, and that needs to be an early pick in the draft.

17 minutes ago, boyst said:

I like the Samuel fit but not as a number 2. They can use him like SF uses Deebo. He’s a chess piece. He isn’t going to consistently be a boundary guy. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

That is hyperbole, you can't or everyone would.

I hate the edge players at #28. Dejean, I could understand. If that's the play, they better go get Legette or Coleman in the second.

Agreed.  I don’t like them either.  I’m interested in Chop due to his explosive ability and possible upside, but Latu is the only edge i’d be really happy with.  He’s a force getting after the QB 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

WR hasn’t been good enough for 3 years. And Beane has done nothing. Why are you so confident that he has learned from that?

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

WR hasn’t been good enough for 3 years. And Beane has done nothing. Why are you so confident that he has learned from that?

Because he has no choice but to have learned from it. They let Gabe walk. He was the number 2 with no competition. The guys that they have added have improved the depth at the position. There’s still the glaring hole at number 2.

I also think that the Bills days of 12 personnel and balance are over. You’ll see some because the talent dictates it but this isn’t Dorsey’s offense. I believe that the Bills are going back to, give Josh the ball and get out of his way. Giving him a top end WR to go with the rest of the skill players helps achieve that. This is especially true when Diggs appears to be on the back 9. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Because he has no choice but to have learned from it. They let Gabe walk. He was the number 2 with no competition. The guys that they have added have improved the depth at the position. There’s still the glaring hole at number 2.

I also think that the Bills days of 12 personnel and balance are over. You’ll see some because the talent dictates it but this isn’t Dorsey’s offense. I believe that the Bills are going back to, give Josh the ball and get out of his way. Giving him a top end WR to go with the rest of the skill players helps achieve that. This is especially true when Diggs appears to be on the back 9. 

I hope you’re right but Beane has done the whole “dumpster dive for guys around Diggs” before. 

I agree with your approach and I agree that Beane has no choice but to draft a WR high. But does Beane believe he doesn’t have a choice?