Arik Armstead released, signs with Jax

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Why don’t we just move off Douglas and use that money for Armstead?

It seems the drop off between DL talent and CB talent is a mile wide in this draft. 

It seems so simple, but I’m sure someone will tell me why this binary choice is not.  

That would be the biggest waste of a third round pick I ever did see…

Half a season then get rid of him when there’s still questions surrounding that position???

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That’s what I’m kinda prepared for being a realist other than playing with Josh and his wife. There isn’t much in favor of the Bills getting him. A team like the Texans with the tax situation alone of Texas opposed to New York is going to make this a heavy lift that even the thought of 17 as your qb can overcome. 

well, his wife’s parents live here and she has a practice at ECMC I believe. They also have very young children and IMO it’s better to raise your kids in the suburbs here than in California

Y’all are entitled to your opinion, but I think it’s a terrible allocation of money to prioritize a 30 year old above average CB over a 30 year old gamewrecker on the DL. 

Don’t care about the pick swap.  It’s sunk cost. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The decent vet WR ship has sailed …

They putting all their eggs in the draft basket now

I disagree with that. Something like Hollywood Brown or Tyler Boyd may be more than we can afford. But if we can afford Armstead, we could afford a Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Mecole Hardman, K.J. Osborn type.

I'm all in on WR at 28. But we've got Diggs and Shakir. Outside of that we've got Hollins, who shouldn't be more than a WR5/ST Gunner type, Shorter who is a complete question mark to make the roster, and Practice Squad level guys.

We're not going to Draft 3 WR's. And we need some kind of insurance in the event that it takes the guy at 28 some time.

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hollywood Brown, Curtis Samuel, Tyler Boyd, Josh Reynolds, other options via trade are still out there

Yes still out there …so why did he sign Hollis?

How many WR are they planning on shoe horning into the team ? You think they will be using 2 picks minimum on WR at the draft 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I disagree with that. Something like Hollywood Brown or Tyler Boyd may be more than we can afford. But if we can afford Armstead, we could afford a Josh Reynolds, DJ Chark, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Mecole Hardman, K.J. Osborn type.

I'm all in on WR at 28. But we've got Diggs and Shakir. Outside of that we've got Hollins, who shouldn't be more than a WR5/ST Gunner type, Shorter who is a complete question mark to make the roster, and Practice Squad level guys.

We're not going to Draft 3 WR's. And we need some kind of insurance in the event that it takes the guy at 28 some time.

Beane isn’t going to use all of 2 4ths, 3 5ths and 3 6ths. It’s reasonable to suspect packaging a few of those to acquire WR who has a low enough cap hit from somewhere. Be it Sutton or someone else

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I mentioned MVS as a possibility yesterday and got the vomit reactions …

Not many here would suggest he is decent …

Why sign Hollis then if they are waiting on someone better ?

They only kept 5 guys last year with  6 absolute maximum … I can see 2 draft picks by the end of the fourth being added  … 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm sure he would help some

I'm just at the point where I've seen what old and expensive on defense gets us and I'd like to try a different direction

Unfortunately the 2 first round and 2 second round picks that Beane used on DL from 2019 to 2021 didn't alter their destiny either.

I'm not sure we aren't conflating over-investing in the DL with under-investing in the WR corps though.

We are alarmed that we can't sack Mahomes and Burrow in the playoffs but if we have better receiving targets those matchups become a tossup IMO because THEY can't get to Josh Allen when he's playing well either.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I mentioned MVS as a possibility yesterday and got the vomit reactions …

Not many would suggest he is decent …

Why sign Hollis then if they are waiting on someone better ?

They only kept 5 guys last year with  6 maximum … I can see 2 draft picks by the end of the fourth … 

Last year was the only year we kept 5. It was an anomaly due to having 12 DL under contract and wanting to keep them all. A problem we won't have this season.

Every other season under McDermott we've carried 6 going into Week 1, two years we kept 7. We'll be keeping at least 6.

We signed Hollins as a bottom of the roster type guy who will be a core Special Teams player. Signed to an "up to 3m" deal that is almost surely a vet minimum deal with incentives. He's depth.

But we still need a vet to be a floor Outside WR3 (who will get a fair amount of reps even in that role) and someone you can feel comfortable starting, in the event the Round 1 Rookie doesn't immediately have his sea legs under him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

But if we've got the money to match the best offer in a 10 team market battle for a big star like Armstead - than that's money that should go to an Offensive piece, in my opinion.

I generally agree but there aren't any big stars on offense available in FA this year. We missed the boat with Hopkins last year, that was definitely a glaring mistake. This year who are we missing the boat with? Calvin Ridley? No thanks for that contract he got. Hollywood Brown? Meh.

All I want is a starting caliber WR. I have been on board with Mooney or Samuel or Reynolds. Two of those three remain. If signing Armstead means we can't even sign that caliber of WR, I'm against it. The passing offense needs to be a priority over everything else. But I think we have the means to do both IF Armstead really wants to be in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

She also has Bills seasons tickets and lives in Williamsville and her favorite store is wegmans 

They named their firstborn Beef Onweck Armstead, his wife’s childhood phone number was 716-420-6969, and they have never sullied their tastebuds with ranch ever in their life.

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I generally agree but there aren't any big stars on offense available in FA this year. We missed the boat with Hopkins last year, that was definitely a glaring mistake. This year who are we missing the boat with? Calvin Ridley? No thanks for that contract he got. Hollywood Brown? Meh.

All I want is a starting caliber WR. I have been on board with Mooney or Samuel or Reynolds. Two of those three remain. If signing Armstead means we can't even sign that caliber of WR, I'm against it. The passing offense needs to be a priority over everything else. But I think we have the means to do both IF Armstead really wants to be in Buffalo.

Yeah realizing how mediocre this DL draft class is I have assumed that they would add 3 free agent DL but I thought it would be something like Jones+Clowney+Calais Campbell..........with all 3 coming in around $7M.     They are still pretty in line with that with Jones and Epenesa.   Armstead, coming off two seasons of modest production,  probably shouldn't command any more than a more productive guy like Campbell but being 30 instead of 38 and having played so well in the playoffs........he probably will.   His upside is still All Pro if he can get right.   

I don't understand what the hell Tennessee is trying to do with their roster..........so I am hoping TN trades Hopkins and a 6th to Buffalo for a 5th. ;)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

I'd be surprised if the Bills signed him.  It doesn't seem like a fit given their current cap situation.

Nah, money wouldn't be a problem, not unless some team gives him a ridiculous overpay. We solved a lot of our long term cap issues by cutting the dead weight last week. Next year we'll likely let go of Von Miller and Dawson Knox. There's always more dead weight to shed. Allen will be extended before long, kicking his can another several years down the road. Etc.

Chris Jones just signed a 5 year $158M contract. His cap hit in 2024 is a whopping $7.3M. We can come up with an eye-popping looking number that Armstead's agent sells to him, while in reality keeping his cap hits manageable and progressively increasing them year over year to match up with the normal salary cap increases. This is standard modern NFL cap management. Everything is made up and the points don't matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Nah, money wouldn't be a problem, not unless some team gives him a ridiculous overpay. We solved a lot of our long term cap issues by cutting the dead weight last week. Next year we'll likely let go of Von Miller and Dawson Knox. There's always more dead weight to shed. Allen will be extended before long, kicking his can another several years down the road. Etc.

Chris Jones just signed a 5 year $158M contract. His cap hit in 2024 is a whopping $7.3M. We can come up with an eye-popping looking number that Armstead's agent sells to him, while in reality keeping his cap hits manageable and progressively increasing them year over year to match up with the normal salary cap increases. This is standard modern NFL cap management. Everything is made up and the points don't matter.

3 for 36 up to 42

4 for 48  up to 54

those seem fair 

maybe Beane will get the sticker shock with

5 for 75 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

With the money he will command I’ll pass, he peaked in 19-2020. Played 21 games in past 2 years, besides being super tall and a monster of a dude, he isn’t always available.

Then we complain why didn’t we draft XYZ in the 3rd round like  bucs or rams did… well because we love old guys looking to make a comeback story. 

Let’s just get younger, we are good at drafting on D take the risk on the youth. Let’s remember we have Milano coming back plus we should be better at FS and SS with younger guys taking on those roles. 

1 minute ago, GoBills! said:

With the money he will command I’ll pass, he peaked in 19-2020. Played 21 games in past 2 years, besides being super tall and a monster of a dude, he isn’t always available.

Then we complain why didn’t we draft XYZ in the 3rd round like  bucs or rams did… well because we love old guys looking to make a comeback story. 

Let’s just get younger, we are good at drafting on D take the risk on the youth. Let’s remember we have Milano coming back plus we should be better at FS and SS with younger guys taking on those roles. 

so you don’t want to add a big difference maker on D because he’s 30? Milano is 30 this season as well…..

Armstead just sacked Mahomes in the SB. I’ll take my chances on him.  We didn’t even breathe on Mahomes….

• Like (+1) 1