The much much much too early 2024 expectations thread.

Chaos

What do you expect Bills 2024 results to be?  

149 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect Bills 2024 results to be?

• Win Super Bowl
    • Win AFC championship
    • Bow out in the AFC championship game
    • Bow out in the divisional round
    • Miss playoffs or lose in the WC round

Even at this particular stage of the off season, my outlook is extremely positive. 

I'm excited about:

Milano + Bernard elevating each others games and being an elite LB duo

Kincaid + Shakir stepping into more prominent roles in addition to whichever WR prospect(s) we add to the group

Diggs being healthy 

Cook unquestionably being the guy (hopefully no more extended trips to the doghouse and much improved catching) and having a consistent rush attack to account for

The overall infusion of youth to the team

I hope we utilize playaction a lot more because I think that aspect is what actually pushes our offense to borderline unstoppable status

However, as long as we have Josh at QB I will be of the mindset that we are contenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Every year will be difficult on paper when you finish 1st, but look at the schedule and make a conclusion.

You missed the point.  

Cincy with and w/o Burrow are two different teams, just like we would be with or w/o Allen.  For w/o, just look at the drought years.  

The Chargers with Herbert, Allen, and Bosa are an entirely different team than w/o them.  

The Jets w/ Rodgers would have been notably better than with Wilson.  

The Jags w/o Lawrence playing thru serious injury are a different team that with him perfectly healthy.  

That's all that was being said.  

Come playoff time however, the level of competition is markedly better.  That's really our issue.  Under McD we have yet to beat a 1st through 4th seeded team in six playoff appearances.  Is there another coach in modern league history that has been unable to beat anything but wild-card teams in his first 6 trips to the playoffs?  

11 hours ago, NoSaint said:

*milano has to return to better than a street free agent in December to be a step forward from last year. Milano-Bernard has to just be better than Bernard-Klein or Bernard-dodson

*I agree it’s a low bar. I’m not holding my breathe that he’s great but he won’t be worse and could be better 

*having followed much of Brady’s career and being well familiar with Dorsey I feel comfortable speaking on a level higher than ppg in a 3 week window while running Dorsey’s offense - and am totally comfortable with saying who I’d hire if I had a choice between the two 

Well, we'll see.  But don't be too disappointed if Brady's not all that.  

His career as an OC has been 9 games, in which he did not outperform his predecessor is a fact.  Whether that changes remains to be seen.  Not really sure what your having followed his career otherwise has to do with anything.  Curious why you brought it up.  

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Come playoff time however, the level of competition is markedly better.  That's really our issue.  Under McD we have yet to beat a 1st through 4th seeded team in six playoff appearances.  Is there another coach in modern league history that has been unable to beat anything but wild-card teams in his first 6 trips to the playoffs

Marvin Lewis couldn't beat anyone in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

You missed the point.  

Cincy with and w/o Burrow are two different teams, just like we would be with or w/o Allen.  For w/o, just look at the drought years.  

The Chargers with Herbert, Allen, and Bosa are an entirely different team than w/o them.  

The Jets w/ Rodgers would have been notably better than with Wilson.  

The Jags w/o Lawrence playing thru serious injury are a different team that with him perfectly healthy.  

That's all that was being said.  

Come playoff time however, the level of competition is markedly better.  That's really our issue.  Under McD we have yet to beat a 1st through 4th seeded team in six playoff appearances.  Is there another coach in modern league history that has been unable to beat anything but wild-card teams in his first 6 trips to the playoffs?  

Well, we'll see.  But don't be too disappointed if Brady's not all that.  

His career as an OC has been 9 games, in which he did not outperform his predecessor is a fact.  Whether that changes remains to be seen.  Not really sure what your having followed his career otherwise has to do with anything.  Curious why you brought it up.  

brady has been an nfl coordinator more than 9 games

and he’s been “in the building” in my own backyard with stops with the saints and lsu 

im not arguing he’s all that but I think he’s better than Dorsey - both comprehension of my point, and stating accurate facts have been a struggle for you on this one 

that aside, I do agree about the playoff challenges. Heck, I’ll one up you and point out the last two playoff wins were against wildcard teams starting backup qbs 

On 3/7/2024 at 6:11 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They literally play the 4 best teams in the NFL, 49ers, Chiefs, Lions, and Ravens. 

I mean you can look at the opponents. Make projections. It’s brutal.

The 4 best teams in 2023 *** A lot can change from year to year. 

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If you're argument is that McD is on par with Lewis, I will not disagree.  

I am not making an argument, just answering a question. 

57 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

brady has been an nfl coordinator more than 9 games

and he’s been “in the building” in my own backyard with stops with the saints and lsu 

im not arguing he’s all that but I think he’s better than Dorsey - both comprehension of my point, and stating accurate facts have been a struggle for you on this one 

that aside, I do agree about the playoff challenges. Heck, I’ll one up you and point out the last two playoff wins were against wildcard teams starting backup qbs 

Good point about the quality of the playoff wins there.  I point that out often. 

And yeah, you're right about him having been an OC, but college is not a good comp ,and in Carolina he "led" his offense to 24th and 29th scoring status.  That's piss poor as you know.  

So we'll see.  Going into our 8th season under McD, never having beaten anything but a wild-card team, now with a whole lot of newness on the team, my optimism isn't going to run as high as most fans'.  As I've stated, we'll likely win the division and win the regular season, but I'm not sure why anyone would think that the odds of us beating a division winner are anything but less than 50/50.   How much less can be debated, but less.  

Just now, Chaos said:

I am not making an argument, just answering a question. 

Fair enough, but is that the only one?  

IDK, I too was merely asking, but I find it difficult to believe that there are more than one or two out there, and those one or two, like Lewis, likely weren't great coaches or even close.   

Consider too though, Lewis had Palmer and Dalton, neither of which were much better than maybe slightly above-averge QBs.  McD has Allen.  

It's a safe bet that Lewis would have won some more playoff games with Allen over Palmer or Dalton.  

Look it doesn’t matter if the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo Sabres are coming off zero wins for the last season. The goal the following season should be Super Bowl and Stanley Cup. Each season is new you either have some pride to be a winner or you don’t. I never thought anything but Super Bowl and Stanley Cup for my Buffalo fan expectations. Only losers talk about rebuilding, retooling or tanking in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

They can’t beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. Possibly can’t beat the Bengals.

3 losses to the Chiefs doesn’t mean McDermott can’t beat anyone good in the playoffs. It’s actually pretty simple. People like to make it more than what it is. The Chiefs are standing in the Bills way. They either have to beat them or avoid them, like how Roethlisberger’s Steelers avoided NE and won 2 Super Bowls.

24 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They can’t beat the Chiefs in the playoffs. Possibly can’t beat the Bengals.

3 losses to the Chiefs doesn’t mean McDermott can’t beat anyone good in the playoffs. It’s actually pretty simple. People like to make it more than what it is. The Chiefs are standing in the Bills way. They either have to beat them or avoid them, like how Roethlisberger’s Steelers avoided NE and won 2 Super Bowls.

Fact:  He's never beaten anything but a wild-card team.  

He came close once, but personally decided to hand the game to the opponent.  Not sure that counters the argument much.  

Either way, argue as you may, it is a fact.  

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Strongly disagree on this point. 

Lewis in Wild Card Rounds:  0-7.  Regular season win percentage:  .518

McD in Wild Card Rounds:  4-2.  Regular season win percentage:  .640

McD is more on par with Tony Dungy's second stint with the Colts.  Dungy had trouble getting past the Patriots with an elite QB and McDermott so far get past the Chiefs with an elite QB.

24 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Fact:  He's never beaten anything but a wild-card team.  

He came close once, but personally decided to hand the game to the opponent.  Not sure that counters the argument much.  

Either way, argue as you may, it is a fact.  

McDermott isn’t without criticism for playoff losses. There’s a list of players also we could list, number one being Stefon Diggs who has disappeared in every elimination game.

There is plenty of blame to go around. The Bills just aren’t as good as the Chiefs in many ways. And possibly not as good as the Bengals. 

The blame for that can start with Beane and work down to McDermott, to the players, and the entire staff. 

I don’t think there is a wide enough gap that we can say they will never beat those teams. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

McD is more on par with Tony Dungy's second stint with the Colts.  Dungy had trouble getting past the Patriots with an elite QB and McDermott so far get past the Chiefs with an elite QB.

It's definitely debatable.  But here are some other tidbits, and no matter how it's sliced, it places McD in bottom-dwelling company insofar as playoff performance goes.  

McD QBs beaten:  

Mason Rudolph, Skylar Thompson, Mac Jones, Lamar Jackson, and a washed up 39-year old Rivers in his last game ever played.  

Twice in incredibly close games that could have gone either way.  

Lewis QBs lost to:  

Roethlisburger (twice), Andrew Luck, Rivers at the top of his game, Schaub, Yates, and Sanchez 

Again, you mention absolutely nothing about McD having Allen and Lewis having Dalton and Palmer.   Clerical error?  ;)  

14 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

McDermott isn’t without criticism for playoff losses. There’s a list of players also we could list, number one being Stefon Diggs who has disappeared in every elimination game.

There is plenty of blame to go around. The Bills just aren’t as good as the Chiefs in many ways. And possibly not as good as the Bengals. 

The blame for that can start with Beane and work down to McDermott, to the players, and the entire staff. 

I don’t think there is a wide enough gap that we can say they will never beat those teams. 

That's pretty subjective.  

It's McD's team.  If the players aren't performing, what, it's your position that McD has little if anything to do with that?  

Do you think that the team's tactical strategies (aka play-calling and adjustments) have anything to do with that?  

Edited by PBF81

I think with Allen we always will have hope.

What I worry about is a down year like 94-95 season, competitive throughout but missing a few players to really contend.

On 3/9/2024 at 6:35 AM, Doc Brown said:

And Bengals. 

On 3/7/2024 at 6:40 PM, KDIGGZ said:

There's a lot of fans who must enjoy pain. Masochists

Wild that over 62% think the Bills will at least make the AFC championship game when we couldn't achieve that at our peak when Sean blew :13 and last season when Burrow was out and Mahomes looked human. Given the less talented roster and rough schedule, I just don't see it. I wish I could be this optimistic.

• Like (+1) 1