Is Terry McLaurin a possible target?

FireChans

We talk a lot about DHop, about Evans, about all these older dudes.

Let’s talk about some younger WR’s who have to be sick wasting their careers away. 

Terry will be 29 years old in the upcoming season. He is entering the last year of his “big” contract before the potential out. And he is an “old guard” player with new and shiny head coach Dan Quinn taking the reins. 

If traded pre 6/1, he will have a cap hit of $7M to his new team, which is relatively cheap. With Stef on his way out potentially next year, this sets Josh up with an “in his prime” WR ready to take over as WR1. 

Stef could also be included in the package, but then we would be talking post 6/1 otherwise the financials get wonky. 

Is he intriguing? Is he an upgrade over $10M AAV for a Mooney or Curtis Samuel? His price tag may be as high as a first or a second and other stuff.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Draft young, faster and cheaper WRs.  29 this year will be 30 by next, and isn’t that part of the concern with Diggs?  I don’t like the idea of wasting money on any FA WRs this offseason.  Shore up other positions as much as possible before the draft, otherwise round out the squad during the draft.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Does that change his post 6/1 designation money?

I'll keep it 100 here with you. When it comes to intricacies of contracts, dead cap hits, cap hits - I'm not a capologist. I just go off what I'm told.

Everyone has said next year is the earliest we should be looking at moving on from Diggs. That it's way better for us with his contract to do it then, then now. Posters will tweak numbers to a point that make their narrative work and swear it's the best to do it now. But I've heard no one besides people on this board say it makes any sense.

Regardless, if we are to do it, we wouldn't wait until after his 18.5m salary becomes fully guaranteed.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'll keep it 100 here with you. When it comes to intricacies of contracts, dead cap hits, cap hits - I'm not a capologist. I just go off what I'm told.

Everyone has said next year is the earliest we should be looking at moving on from Diggs. That it's way better for us with his contract to do it then, then now. Posters will tweak numbers to a point that make their narrative work and swear it's the best to do it now. But I've heard no one besides people on this board say it makes any sense.

Regardless, if we are to do it, we wouldn't wait until after his 18.5m salary becomes fully guaranteed.

I find that spotrac is the most accurate website IRT cap intricacies and they say the numbers are absolutely clear that we can move off from Diggs this year and make financial sense doing so. 

His salary becoming completely guaranteed on 3/17 is actually noted on their website.

Prior to 3/17, we lose 3M against the cap to cut him.

After 3/17, we lose 21M to cut him. 

After 6/1, we save 19M in 2024 to cut him. 

Post 6/1 releases effectively spread the dead cap over two seasons, which is why it’s more affordable, however it means you are still taking on the same hit in the next year, i.e. the 2025 hit remains the same regardless if he is cut post 6/1 in 2024 or early in 2025. So anyone saying it makes sense to do it in 2025 but not post 6/1 2024 is 100% completely wrong, because the cap savings in 2025 are the same 

So, unfortunately, 3/17 ain’t gonna change anything lol.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

McLaurin would be an awesome addition to our WR room. Probably the most underrated and under appreciated receiver in the league. Not sure the numbers would work but anything is possible I guess.

I agree with your assessment of McLauren. While he’d be a great addition here I don’t see why Washington would trade him. Why would they trade away their best WR the same offseason they draft a QB with the second overall pick? They’ve currently got the most cap space in the league to boot. Makes no sense from their POV. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I find that spotrac is the most accurate website IRT cap intricacies and they say the numbers are absolutely clear that we can move off from Diggs this year and make financial sense doing so. 

His salary becoming completely guaranteed on 3/17 is actually noted on their website.

Prior to 3/17, we lose 3M against the cap to cut him.

After 3/17, we lose 21M to cut him. 

After 6/1, we save 19M in 2024 to cut him. 

Post 6/1 releases effectively spread the dead cap over two seasons, which is why it’s more affordable, however it means you are still taking on the same hit in the next year, i.e. the 2025 hit remains the same regardless if he is cut post 6/1 in 2024 or early in 2025. So anyone saying it makes sense to do it in 2025 but not post 6/1 2024 is 100% completely wrong, because the cap savings in 2025 are the same 

So, unfortunately, 3/17 ain’t gonna change anything lol.

So you're saying we'd pay 18.5m in cash and save 19 in cap on a 6/1?

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Let’s talk about some younger WR’s who have to be sick wasting their careers away. 

Terry will be 29 years old in the upcoming season. He is entering the last year of his “big” contract before the potential out. And he is an “old guard” player with new and shiny head coach Dan Quinn taking the reins. 

If traded pre 6/1, he will have a cap hit of $7M to his new team, which is relatively cheap. With Stef on his way out potentially next year, this sets Josh up with an “in his prime” WR ready to take over as WR1. 

Stef could also be included in the package, but then we would be talking post 6/1 otherwise the financials get wonky. 

Is he intriguing? Is he an upgrade over $10M AAV for a Mooney or Curtis Samuel? His price tag may be as high as a first or a second and other stuff.

McLauren’s contract runs through 2025. It also has 2026 void year. Why would Washington trade him? He’s their best WR, they’re taking a QB #2 overall and they have the most cap space in the league. It would make zero sense from their side. Great player and I’d love to have him here if he were to become available. I just don’t know why he would be. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So you're saying we'd pay 18.5m in cash and save 19 in cap on a 6/1?

That’s what it’s saying, yeah. 

Now that I do the math in my head, it may be less. But it is workable, with savings. 

6 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

McLauren’s contract runs through 2025. It also has 2026 void year. Why would Washington trade him? He’s their best WR, they’re taking a QB #2 overall and they have the most cap space in the league. It would make zero sense from their side. Great player and I’d love to have him here if he were to become available. I just don’t know why he would be. 

Old enough to not be in their five year plan, particularly with contract renegotiations around the corner. He also may plan on walking because he probably hates it there?

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

That’s what it’s saying, yeah. 

Now that I do the math in my head, it may be less. But it is workable, with savings. 

Listen, I know the only thing people care about around here is the Cap figures. No other money matters.

But if you think Brandon Beane is going to approach Pegula and say "hey, give me a check for 18.5m dollars so that I can give it to someone who won't be here and then I can spend 19m more of your money" - I've got a bridge to sell you.

And there is a difference. We can pay 18.5m in cash this year and save 19m - or we can save that same amount next year before his salary becomes guaranteed.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Old enough to not be in their five year plan, particularly with contract renegotiations around the corner. He also may plan on walking because he probably hates it there?

Washington’s #1 priority should be to ensure their new QB has the supporting cast around him to be successful. You don’t trade his best WR away. Also it’s worth noting that McLauren is due $18.5M in new money this season. That is the cap hit that a team trading for him would have to take (unless they convince Washington to pay some of it and then trade him). See below. 

How would he walk? He’s under contract through 2025 and he’s not giving up $18.5M this season or $18M next. 

Spotrac

Edited by BarleyNY

34 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We’re not moving diggs, nor should we

Agree, but we do need to draft a quality WR or two one of which will be a starter on day one, jmo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Washington’s #1 priority should be to ensure their new QB has the supporting cast around him to be successful. You don’t trade his best WR away. Also it’s worth noting that McLauren is due $18.5M in new money this season. That is the cap hit that a team trading for him would have to take. See below. 

How would he walk? He’s under contract through 2025 and he’s not giving up $18.5M this season or $18M next. 

Spotrac

McLaurin, if traded, is going to cost Washington $16.8M against their cap in dead money. I don’t think he is  have a cap hit of $18.5M for the team trading for him.

He could walk after 2025. Or demand out sooner, because he hates it there.

Diggs got out of his first stop with more years on his deal. 

To be clear, if I was Washington, I wouldn’t trade him. But bad franchises gonna bad franchise. So, “they wouldn’t want to do that” doesn’t fly as an argument for me lol.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I say this as someone who has a deep respect for Terry McLaurin. Hell no. 

Here's the thing, fans want to get that big splash name that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. Gotta have that new toy, right? The instant gratification. 

Smart teams will pass on Terry McLaurin and find the NEXT McLaurin. Younger and cost controlled for 4-5 years. Teams that run out and trade away for big players like the Dolphins and Jets then end up with a top heavy roster that crumbles late in the season because their depth is truly atrocious....is that where ya wanna be? 

High priced aging vets (and yes, 29 is aging for an NFL WR) that give you limited years top production and a premium price are not the way to go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I say this as someone who has a deep respect for Terry McLaurin. Hell no. 

Here's the thing, fans want to get that big splash name that makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. Gotta have that new toy, right? The instant gratification. 

Smart teams will pass on Terry McLaurin and find the NEXT McLaurin. Younger and cost controlled for 4-5 years. Teams that run out and trade away for big players like the Dolphins and Jets then end up with a top heavy roster that crumbles late in the season because their depth is truly atrocious....is that where ya wanna be? 

High priced aging vets (and yes, 29 is aging for an NFL WR) that give you limited years top production and a premium price are not the way to go.

Was the Diggs trade not smart?

The Jets and Dolphins crumbled because their QB’s ain’t it. 

The Rams won the Super Bowl with the top heaviest roster in NFL history.

Edited by FireChans

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.