Bills official offseason Cap moves thread.

20 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

We didn’t sign any high priced vets last year?  Certainly not on offense.

Beane’s goal (if Diggs stays) should be Mike Evans / Michael Pittman Jr / Trade 

if you miss on those, at least get Curtis Samuel or Darnell Mooney who are instant upgrades from Sherfield as a floor with potential to be very impactful.

AND regardless you get a WR in Round 1 + another in Round 2-4

Pittman would be such an amazing pickup, not really that ‘burner’ but an all around great WR.

Had a drop rate of 1.3% last year and over 100 catches 🤯

We would have to clear 60+ million to make it happen, but still. 

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Pittman would be such an amazing pickup, not really that ‘burner’ but an all around great WR.

Had a drop rate of 1.3% last year and over 100 catches 🤯

We would have to clear 60+ million to make it happen, but still. 

& that is from below avg QB play! Just hitting his prime

no you wouldn’t need to clear 60 million.

Give him a 5 year deal for 100 Million.  + void years.  Can lower the hit to 10 million or so for 2024 if you want

it’s possible Josh Allen will at least mention him to Beane as someone he’d like since they are friends

I don’t expect it to happen. Would be interesting though!  

We can at least invest multiple high picks at the position if we don’t land an impactful WR via UFA/Trade

Edited by Warriorspikes51

33 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

& that is from below avg QB play! Just hitting his prime

no you wouldn’t need to clear 60 million.

Give him a 5 year deal for 100 Million.  + void years.  Can lower the hit to 10 million or so for 2024 if you want

it’s possible Josh Allen will at least mention him to Beane as someone he’d like since they are friends

I don’t expect it to happen. Would be interesting though!  

We can at least invest multiple high picks at the position if we don’t land an impactful WR via UFA/Trade

25 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If Indy doesn't franchise Pittman is br shocked as he's far and away their best WR and with a young QB starting it be foolish that let another team nab him.

Agreed. If the Colts don't extend Pittman by the Franchise Tag deadline, he's for sure getting tagged.

The Colts are 79.2m under the cap. Pittman is a 26 year old budding Superstar, the #1 WR to a Rookie QB entering Year 2. And they can afford him. 

Like I said with Higgins, teams don't let go of their most important pieces unless they literally have no other choice. I'd be downright shocked if he went anywhere. In the small chance that he did, it wouldn't be here. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19

On 2/23/2024 at 3:01 PM, GASabresIUFan said:

LOL, the Bills aren't cutting Miller.  His cap hit is 23.8 million, but his dead cap is 32.5.  Why would anyone essentially pay more not to have someone play?

Even if you do the June 1 cut, his cap hit is 17 million and you adding a cap hit to 2025.  Miller will be a Bill in 2024.  

Cutting him in 2025 makes much more sense.  His dead cap would be down to 15.4 vs a roster cap hit of 23.9.  However, a June 1 cut cap cost would be down to 6.4.  This would be much more feasible.  

Unless he's a superstar next year and very good the following year, too, Miller will go down as one of the worst free-agent signings in NFL history. $114 million for 8 sacks, to date. Think of what that kind of dough could have bought elsewhere.

He could still turn it around, but at this point, signing Miller was like putting all your retirement money in Blockbuster--in 2004.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, finn said:

Unless he's a superstar next year and very good the following year, too, Miller will go down as one of the worst free-agent signings in NFL history. $114 million for 8 sacks, to date. Think of what that kind of dough could have bought elsewhere.

He could still turn it around, but at this point, signing Miller was like putting all your retirement money in Blockbuster--in 2004.

It was a stupid Super Bowl or bust type contract and we are paying for that stupidity now.  The Knox contract was pretty stupid as well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

It was a stupid Super Bowl or bust type contract and we are paying for that stupidity now.  The Knox contract was pretty stupid as well.  

Very unlike Beane, too, who has otherwise navigated for the long haul. The Tampa Bay rush shutting down Mahomes in the Super Bowl really seemed to make an impression on him. Fine, but committing that much money to a single player, especially one on the back end of his career, was really risky. I remember just at the time he was upset at Washington for reneging on the McKissic deal. Could he have acted impulsively? 

Plus, he either didn't consider or dismissed the idea of giving his own star quarterback the same weapons Mahomes had--TWO star receivers, along with (the next year, in response to the Super Bowl loss) a rock-solid line.

This coming year, if both teams score a good WR, the two offenses will be more or less on par, finally. But, because of the Miller swing and miss, the Bills defense will likely take a step back. Beane always seems to be one step behind KC.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:54 PM, MR8 said:

They're $51M over as of now.  Lots of moves to work on that but as of now they're 2nd worst in cap space in th NFL, actually virtually tied with Miami. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

With one big difference.  We have our QB extended and they still need to extend theirs.  Not saying our situation is great, but that is a rough situation to be in for Miami....and now talk is that Dallas is going to sign Dak for crazy money.  It's good to have Josh signed for a few years...and maybe when they restructure they can work in an extension of a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, finn said:

I’m really tired of this take. All signings have risks. Miller was making the entire defense better and getting to the QB at a high level until he tore his acl.  It’s not like we signed him and he suddenly became Aaron Maybin 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, finn said:

I thought it was a great move at the time, and it was pretty universally praised from what I remember.

But for sure, it did NOT work out.  Really, the worst-case scenario happened, with an aging player who relies on speed getting a bad knee injury.  It's hard to think about what that money could have done to improve this team.

Really hoping Miller can have an impact this season, and at least justify some of the money he's getting paid.

10 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’m really tired of this take. All signings have risks. Miller was making the entire defense better and getting to the QB at a high level until he tore his acl.  It’s not like we signed him and he suddenly became Aaron Maybin 

It’s not like he had injuries before 

14 hours ago, finn said:

There have been PLENTY of deals much worse than the Miller deal. This is just angry Bills talk 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Not saying that. I acknowledged Miller was performing well and still might return to form. But if he doesn't, his contract will prove to be a horrendous waste of money and lost opportunity. Beane wanted to get to Mahomes. I wished at the time and still do now that he had instead given Allen another weapon so he could outscore Mahomes. Allen did anyway, at least during the regular season, even throwing to Diggs and a bunch of warm bodies. 

51 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

There have been PLENTY of deals much worse than the Miller deal. This is just angry Bills talk 

Yes, there have been stinkers. But think of the outcome the Bills may be facing at the end of 2025: $114 million dollars for half a season of excellent play. There have been some truly awful contracts, but not many compete with that much money for that little production. Not blaming Miller or, really, Beane. He rolled the dice and (so far) got snake eyes. Happens. 

I'm not so much angry as bummed out that one of the few huge gambles Beane took has fallen flat. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Some whispers of DaQuan Jones being re-signed shortly & David Edwards (we’ll see)

Both of these would be kind of surprising to me, at this stage.

In listening to Beane on OneBillsLive, it sounded to me that he was saying Jones wanted to see his market before re-signing. Though it is possible that his agent tested the waters over the past 24 hours at the Combine. 

As for Edwards, in the position we're in cap wise and with McGovern and Torrence definitely starting, and Ryan Bates and Alec Anderson behind them - Edwards is a bit of a luxury to me. And with the Guard position being what it is in the NFL, he might be able to find a Starting gig.

Also surprising to me that we'd be taking on the cap hits for both of them before we've dug ourselves out of the hole we're in.

But I guess we'll see.

EDIT: You're still following and giving credence to ErieCountyBulls after all their "sources" got wrong last year? Good Lord man.

I see they changed their name so that they can try and dupe people all over again into believing they're legit.

On 2/24/2024 at 9:05 PM, The Jokeman said:

If Indy doesn't franchise Pittman is br shocked as he's far and away their best WR and with a young QB starting it be foolish that let another team nab him.

If they don't tag him Beane needs to make room and sign him ASAP

55 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

If they don't tag him Beane needs to make room and sign him ASAP

He's going to get extended or Franchised. In the SLIM scenario he doesn't, he's estimated on a 4 year - 90m dollar deal, 22.7m per annually by Spotrac. And with Higgins being Franchised and the rise in Salary Cap, I can easily see it being more than that.

There's no way to structure that, even with a smaller hit in Year 1, to make it work in the situation we're in. 

• Like (+1) 1