Super Bowl LVIII Pre Game Thread

muppy

10 hours ago, Turk71 said:

49ers win and

McCaffrey is MVP..

He said something that indicated  this is personal and his determination runs really deep.

He wants to prove he is the real MVP this year and I think he's right.

I think the Chiefs will have a hard time stopping him...and Kittle.

On offense I think the Chiefs tackles will struggle with the outside rush when passing and Pacheco will be bottled up rushing. 

27-20 9ers

I hope he is right.

• Like (+1) 1

Going to a party … hey, it’s a reason to party and get together with family and friends…no different than some mostly meaningless holiday like Dyngus Day … I’ll DVR the game and head home after halftime, watch the rest when I get home and definitely skip the post game nonsense 

21 hours ago, Einstein said:

I won't be shocked if this Super Bowl has (relatively) very low numbers. 

NFL fans have Chiefs fatigue, and their opponent has 5 Lombardi trophies themselves (and was in a Super Bowl just a few years ago)

These may be the two worst possible teams to have in this game, from an interest perspective. 

I honestly think Bills-Lions would have drawn record viewership because of how different/new it would have been.

I'll watch, because its the last NFL football we will have for 7 months, but I won't be all that interested in anything other than the Chiefs hopefully losing.

The Swiftie contingent will inflate the viewership numbers significantly IMO 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

The Swiftie contingent will inflate the viewership numbers significantly IMO 

Perhaps you’re right about this.

I’m coming at it from an NFL fan perspective but that’s a wrinkle.

1 hour ago, Herc11 said:

Is it really her fault that the NFL and the networks took full advantage of her newfound relationship? I guess if you believe in the conspiracies then you would say yes. Otherwise, she just a significant other that should have every right to attend her boyfriends game, just like every other player. 

I blame the NFL and the networks with their greed taking full advantage of the situation more than anything.

and this is the problem.  This is the toxic conformity (which I largely blame on the media) over the last four years that bothers me.   You must think one way or else.... At least it used to only apply to more important topics.  now it is even in pop culture. 

What if I told you that it was possible to both be annoyed with the overexposure of Taylor and not be a conspiracy theorist?  Josh Allen has a celebrity girlfriend too, but I don't remember that being shoved in everyone's face.

I was neutral to Taylor Swift until this year.  Even at first, I would have agreed with your last sentence and defended her saying that it was the media's fault.  However, her actions of calling NFL fans "dads brads and chads" and her action of threatening to sue a college student to tracking her private jet emissions has made her come off as the very type of tone deaf elitist that many in society are sick of.

I just hope that it is a close game so that those who watch can enjoy some good quality football. 

Edited by dgrochester55

59 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Is it really her fault that the NFL and the networks took full advantage of her newfound relationship? I guess if you believe in the conspiracies then you would say yes. Otherwise, she just a significant other that should have every right to attend her boyfriends game, just like every other player. 

I blame the NFL and the networks with their greed taking full advantage of the situation more than anything.

Yes, it’s just horrible that a business would take advantage of a situation that they didn’t create to enhance the bottom line … how DARE they!

15 hours ago, Einstein said:

KC isn’t popular.

They are the most disliked team in the league, according to a survey conducted two weeks ago.

Supposing they are the most hated team in the league right now, you realize that doesn’t equate to a lack of interest, right? 

If having “fatigue” causes a lack of interest, why were the Patriots involved in several of the highest-rated Super Bowls? And not early, when they were something new…the later ones. 

On one hand, you have people claiming that the Taylor Swift effect is so profitable that the league is fixing games for KC. Now I’m being told that no one cares and it will be one of the lowest-rated Super Bowls ever. 

Btw, did you know that the last SB was the most-watched telecast ever? Or that the Chiefs-Ravens game set records?

I get that you hate KC, but you’re not even using logic. 

Edited by SaulGoodman

5 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Can someone smart explain to me why the 49ers are favored? I feel like pouring money into the Chiefs but my overconfidence makes me very hesitant and there must be something I'm missing.

Because you can run on the Chiefs and the 49ers have the best RB in football?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

If having “fatigue” causes a lack of interest, why were the Patriots involved in several of the highest-rated Super Bowls? And not early, when they were something new…the later ones. 

Causation = / = correlation.

Super Bowl's become more popular over time in general. We saw increased viewership from 1966 until 2016. The NFL is doing a great job of marketing it every year.

However, starting in 2016, numbers actually started to decrease.

One thing I will say is that I didnt consider the Swift angle too much when I made my original post, or I wouldn't have made it. Her fans may make the difference and put it over the edge. I was simply talking from an NFL fan perspective.

11 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

Btw, did you know that the last SB was the most-watched telecast ever?

This is not accurate.

Last years Super Bowl had an all-platform viewership of 115.1M.

The most watcher Super Bowl ever had over 126M. The second most watched had 119M. The third most watched had 118.5M. The fourth most watched had 115.8M.

Last years Super Bowl wasn't in the top 4. 

You can see the rankings here.

The reason you think it was the most watched telecast ever is because you fell for the clickbait Nielsen advertisement where they said that. However, what they didn't tell you is that they didn't start accounting for out-of-home streaming until 2021. So the 2022 Super Bowl was the most watched telecast of their new rating metric.... that came out in 2021. So, it was the most watched of 2021 or 2022.

Really hope the 9ers win. Not for the usual reason of seeing the Chiefs lose but because I’d like to see Mr. Irrelevant, Trent Williams (who played for the abysmal Redskins all those years, our old boy Feliciano who’s played a key role in that OLine and a QB with the last name Allen to get a SB ring…

2 hours ago, Simon said:

You want a Taylor Swift filter to block the excessive Taylor Swift discussion?

Physician, heal thyself.

Touche 🙂 It was more of a comment regarding her being everywhere on social media. I'll do my griping offline forthwith 🙂

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Based on your deep understanding and personal experience with her? 

TayTay was close friends with Kelsea Ballerini when she lived in an apartment in Nashville across from Vanderbilt. My son lived in the apartment adjacent to Ballerini. We’d see TayTay in the parking garage as we unloaded groceries or in the hallways. I’d say that gives me deep and personal insight into her soul. I’m sure she is still talking about seeing us, as well. I’m a bit surprised I haven’t been invited into the suite with her for the games, but I assume that was due to her knowing of my Bills fandom. What else could it be?  🤷‍♂️

EDIT: I’m not bragging when I say she may have written a song about me. I AM bragging when I say that I’d have no idea if she did, since I could not name a single song of hers. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boyst said:

That's not the problem anyone has with her. It's that she has so much baggage.  She flies across a city and then sues the dude who tracks her plane without even listing a crime.

You realize a crime doesn't have to be committed to sue someone, right?

14 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm a die hard 49ers fan today, but I don't think they have a shot 

They don’t have a shot? How so? The Chiefs have barely scraped through these playoffs the past 2 games. That’s going to catch up to them. Now the same can be said for the 9ers, yes. But both of their wins the opposing team came to play. One of them was a 28-7 turnaround in the second half to win by 3. 

Buffalo is the only offense that showed up to play KC… Even then there was miscues and plenty points left on the field. Miami, one of the highest scoring offenses did absolutely nothing in the WC. And then the best running game in the NFL decides to just come out and sling it 40 times versus 12 on the ground (it was 18 in total but 4 of them were scrambles by Lamar). 

Both teams are very capable of winning this game and both have had some shortcomings and potential scares that could have cost them being here. Bigger picture, San Francisco has performed better and has one less game under their belt, even though KC  didn’t have to really show up versus Miami

😂

Edited by BBFL

40 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Really hope the 9ers win. Not for the usual reason of seeing the Chiefs lose but because I’d like to see Mr. Irrelevant, Trent Williams (who played for the abysmal Redskins all those years, our old boy Feliciano who’s played a key role in that OLine and a QB with the last name Allen to get a SB ring…

Yep can't wait to hear the new lazy media narrative all year how Brock Purdy is now the best quarterback in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yep can't wait to hear the new lazy media narrative all year how Brock Purdy is now the best quarterback in the NFL. 

I was just talking w/ my friends about this yesterday.  It will absolutely happen.

But it won't have that much lasting power.  It will just be a few months of annoyance.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.