Will Derrick Henry be a Bill in 2024?

FireChans

46 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

That's true but all those restructures do is kick the can down the road. If we want to move on from Diggs as early as next year all the restructuring we've done will end up being a dead cap hit at some point that we'll have to eat. Allen is fine he'll be here forever but what about guys like Knox (I hear he's making more than Travis Kelce), Dion Dawkins is getting older, pretty soon all these restructures are going to bite us in the ass. Just fill in the spots you need after the restructures with drafted talent and get out of the restructure hell! 

They certainly need to get younger and cheaper on the Defensive side of the ball.....this is definitely not the offseason of many splashy free agent signings, but one difference-maker would be nice.....

14 hours ago, NoSaint said:

define mid level rb salary- as I think that’s where a lot of the expectations diverge in this thread 

Also, what a heavily used back did at 28 doesn’t matter much at 30 

To be clear, it's not the age that I think will keep the Bills out of the Derrick Henry market. Clearly, with their signing of Latavius Murray, they showed that age really isn't an issue for them.

It's the Bills' dire salary cap situation, the price tag I expect Henry to be looking for, and the fact that they already have a cost controlled 24 year old coming off a 1500 yard season as RB1. 

You bring in Derrick Henry if you have a bit of money to spend and an opening at RB1. The Bills have neither.

I want a good change of pace back, too. Someone to take some miles off Cook and give the Bills some depth in the event of injury to their RB1, who is on the smaller side. I just think that said player can be signed for cheaper than what Henry will command, and they can also draft another youngster.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

To be clear, it's not the age that I think will keep the Bills out of the Derrick Henry market. Clearly, with their signing of Latavius Murray, they showed that age really isn't an issue for them.

It's the Bills' dire salary cap situation, the price tag I expect Henry to be looking for, and the fact that they already have a cost controlled 24 year old coming off a 1500 yard season as RB1. 

You bring in Derrick Henry if you have a bit of money to spend and an opening at RB1. The Bills have neither.

I want a good change of pace back, too. Someone to take some miles off Cook and give the Bills some depth in the event of injury to their RB1, who is on the smaller side. I just think that said player can be signed for cheaper than what Henry will command, and they can also draft another youngster.

What is the price tag you expect?

26 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What is the price tag you expect?

Spotrac projects one year at $10.3 million. I think it'll be pretty close to that, give or take a million in either direction.

I don't view Henry as the typical "dime-a-dozen veteran running back in a crowded market". He's a likely future Hall of Famer coming off back-to-back 1300+ yard seasons and six straight 10 TD+ seasons. 

I also think his name carries some sizzle for marketing purposes, and I can see a team like the Cowboys not hesitating to sign him.

And just so that I'm not the "say no without offering an alternative" guy, I'd much rather sign Antonio Gibson (projected at $3.6 million). Passing game utility. Still just 25 years old.

I'd also be happy to take a swing on JK Dobbins, who is projected at $2.1 million. Obviously coming off an ACL and an achilles in back-to-back years, but he was a big time talent and a 2nd round draft pick and is also 25 years old.

Give me a Cook/Gibson/Johnson/UDFA or Cook/Dobbins/Johnson/UDFA backfield and I'm happy.

I love Derrick Henry. It would be very cool to see him finish out his career as a Bill. I just don't think it's feasible.

Edited by Logic

47 minutes ago, Logic said:

to also be clear my point wasn’t that we’d avoid him for age, but that the nfl won’t be paying him for stats two years ago. 

the core of my post was asking you to define a number for what you actually think his contract looks like. 

I truly find that phrases like “mid tier rb money” can mean WILDLY different things to different posters. 

the 13-20th (ie +/-4 guys from mid point of top 32) highest paid backs on average contract value, for instance, is a range of 2.25m-4m. 

I suspect your number is substantially above that

• Like (+1) 1

a ring for the king!

Everything is feasible. The cap can always be managed, BUT you have to get it right.

Henry and Cook would be an amazing 1-2 punch. This team needs to load up on offense.

If the Saints can field a football team then it shows that the cap is fake. 

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

to also be clear my point wasn’t that we’d avoid him for age, but that the nfl won’t be paying him for stats two years ago. 

the core of my post was asking you to define a number for what you actually think his contract looks like. 

I truly find that phrases like “mid tier rb money” can mean WILDLY different things to different posters. 

the 13-20th (ie +/-4 guys from mid point of top 32) highest paid backs on average contract value, for instance, is a range of 2.25m-4m. 

I suspect your number is substantially above that

See my post directly above that reply. Spotrac projects a 1 year, $10.3 million deal for him, and I think that's about right.

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

Spotrac projects one year at $10.3 million. I think it'll be pretty close to that, give or take a million in either direction.

I don't view Henry as the typical "dime-a-dozen veteran running back in a crowded market". He's a likely future Hall of Famer coming off back-to-back 1300+ yard seasons and six straight 10 TD+ seasons. 

I also think his name carries some sizzle for marketing purposes, and I can see a team like the Cowboys not hesitating to sign him.

And just so that I'm not the "say no without offering an alternative" guy, I'd much rather sign Antonio Gibson (projected at $3.6 million). Passing game utility. Still just 25 years old.

I'd also be happy to take a swing on JK Dobbins, who is projected at $2.1 million. Obviously coming off an ACL and an achilles in back-to-back years, but he was a big time talent and a 2nd round draft pick and is also 25 years old.

Give me a Cook/Gibson/Johnson/UDFA or Cook/Dobbins/Johnson/UDFA backfield and I'm happy.

I love Derrick Henry. It would be very cool to see him finish out his career as a Bill. I just don't think it's feasible.

I don’t think there’s a chance he sees north of 8M.

10.3M is the near the franchise tag salary for an RB and would cement Henry as the 7th highest paid back in the NFL.

I disagree he will see that money north of 30. Hell, the Titans are paying him 12.5M, why cut him at all if that’s his market value?

Also, FWIW, the Spotrac market value stuff is really off. It’s probably the least accurate thing the site supports.

21 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

a ring for the king!

Everything is feasible. The cap can always be managed, BUT you have to get it right.

Henry and Cook would be an amazing 1-2 punch. This team needs to load up on offense.

If the Saints can field a football team then it shows that the cap is fake. 

If the cap was fake, the Bills would've already re-signed DaQuan Jones, Gabe Davis, and AJ Epenesa. Instead, they may lose all three players.

You ARE correct that the cap can always be managed. However, like with a credit card, the bill always eventually comes due.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think there’s a chance he sees north of 8M.

10.3M is the near the franchise tag salary for an RB and would cement Henry as the 7th highest paid back in the NFL.

I disagree he will see that money north of 30. Hell, the Titans are paying him 12.5M, why cut him at all if that’s his market value?

Also, FWIW, the Spotrac market value stuff is really off. It’s probably the least accurate thing the site supports.

I guess we'll see in just a few short weeks.

My two questions for you (and forgive me if you've already answered them, I haven't read this entire thread):

1. What do you think Henry will get paid when its all said and done?
2. Assuming you want the Bills to sign him, what number would you feel comfortable paying him?

Edited by Logic

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

If the cap was fake, the Bills would've already re-signed DaQuan Jones, Gabe Davis, and AJ Epenesa. Instead, they may lose all three players.

You ARE correct that the cap can always be managed. However, like with a credit card, the bill always eventually comes due.

My two questions for you (and forgive me if you've already answered them, I haven't read this entire thread):

2. Assuming you want the Bills to sign him, what number would you feel comfortable paying him?

1. I could see $6M base with up to 8M with incentives

2. I would sign him $6M base with up to 8M with incentives, add a void year to bring his cap number down.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Logic said:

I’ll say I think he’s more in the 2 for 15 area as a goal and might not be that. wouldn’t be shocked if after musical chairs he ends up getting humbled if his expectations are 10+ and he ends up settling for even less than that (see cook, dalvin) 

while I get where your at quoting thing like “6 straight years over….” I think you are neglecting that many GMs will be of the mindset that “6 straight years of heavy usage” is actually a negative not a positive for his contract negotiation 

I’ve said repeatedly I don’t think he’s my own major target but when you look at subbing him in and pulling the dollars from Hines/harty it’s not terribly upsetting if Brady would rather grind a bit instead of having gadget guys 

cheap way to save Josh some hits, and defenses definitely wouldn’t look forward to playing the bills

Edited by NoSaint

We can talk about the potential of Henry in this offense and whether it would be wise or not to sign him with our cap situation.

The point is moot to me. He's going to Baltimore.

Baltimore is a contender. They were going to give up a Draft Pick or more to have him in the Playoffs last season. The Titans owner just put the caboshes to it at the last second. They have a barren wasteland of a backfield and now Gus Edwards and JK Dobbins are both Free Agent's. They can now get him like they planned, without having to give up anything in compensation. He can start there. They want him badly.

Since "Vegas Odds" are all the rage right now to argue points, here's what Vegas says:

Baltimore +175

Dallas +550

Philadelphia +650

Houston +750

We aren't even on the list. Like so many things being discussed of late, we're ignoring what's likely and focusing on the unlikely.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We can talk about the potential of Henry in this offense and whether it would be wise or not to sign him with our cap situation.

The point is moot to me. He's going to Baltimore.

Baltimore is a contender. They were going to give up a Draft Pick or more to have him in the Playoffs last season. The Titans owner just put the caboshes to it at the last second. They have a barren wasteland of a backfield and now Gus Edwards and JK Dobbins are both Free Agent's. They can now get him like they planned, without having to give up anything in compensation. He can start there. They want him badly.

Since "Vegas Odds" are all the rage right now to argue points, here's what Vegas says:

Baltimore +175

Dallas +550

Philadelphia +650

Houston +750

We aren't even on the list. Like so many things being discussed of late, we're ignoring what's likely and focusing on the unlikely.

glad to see you’re feeling better😂

• 3 weeks later...

Bills win not fork over any more money in the RB position this year for a big name RB in FA, especially on Henry.  It's just not going to happen.

The money needs to be spent on bigger needs "Holes" in this teams roster this year.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1