Josh running out of time?

oldmanfan

43 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

"He will likely not be as much the runner, but that’s OK."

Is it ok? My fear is that age will impact him more than a typical qb due to how much of his game is running. And I'm not just talking about mobility, but flat out running for difficult yards. He's going to have a transition to make in the next few years, time will tell if he can pull it off.

He will need to transition more, but there is no question he has the arm to do so.

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Folks keep talking about Josh running out of time to win a championship.  Here’s a link to ages of all SB winning QBs:

Lots of older guys, some younger guys.  I think the average age is around 31.  

So he’s got plenty of time.  He will likely not be as much the runner, but that’s OK.

No, it's not.

We got a good look the first 10 games of the season watching "neutered" Josh and it wasn't pretty.  Josh is at his best when the threat of him running is always there.  Taking that away makes defenses breathe easy.

Josh will start to run out of time in about ten or so years, what Josh needs more than anything else is two boundary WRs that get separation and CATCH the ball, he already has the short to medium route guys. Give him that and an OC that knows what he is up to and we will be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Folks keep talking about Josh running out of time to win a championship.  Here’s a link to ages of all SB winning QBs:

So he’s got plenty of time.  He will likely not be as much the runner, but that’s OK.

what folks?

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

No, it's not.

We got a good look the first 10 games of the season watching "neutered" Josh and it wasn't pretty.  Josh is at his best when the threat of him running is always there.  Taking that away makes defenses breathe easy.

He will evolve as he continues to mature.  Like Elway did.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

what folks?

You must be new around here

Unfortunately at this point, it's looking more and more likely that Allen won't have a real chance to compete for a superbowl until sometime after he turns 30 based on the assumption that we are still at least a few years away from McDivisional being replaced. (Allen will be 28 when the new season kicks off later this year).

The problem with this is though is I still maintain he's not likely going to be a guy that plays well into their mid to late 30's and beyond based on his style of play. And I know people hate the comparison, but still see so many parallels to Cam Newton (who actually got to one superbowl before he was 30) in term of Allen's body eventually breaking down and not even being able to evolve into a pocket passer type only.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Unfortunately at this point, it's looking more and more likely that Allen won't have a real chance to compete for a superbowl until sometime after he turns 30 based on the assumption that we are still at least a few years away from McDivisional being replaced. (Allen will be 28 when the new season kicks off later this year).

The problem with this is though is I still maintain he's not likely going to be a guy that plays well into their mid to late 30's and beyond based on his style of play. And I know people hate the comparison, but still see so many parallels to Cam Newton (who actually got to one superbowl before he was 30) in term of Allen's body eventually breaking down and not even being able to evolve into a pocket passer type only.

this ***** guy!  

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Got him on ignore .. but people keep quoting his posts!

I've added like 10 to my ignore in the past few days. A good cleansing every so often always freshens up the vibe of the board 🙃

I have yet to ignore the one in question though, its too entertaining for some reason... I'm sure I'll tire of it :)

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

He will evolve as he continues to mature.  Like Elway did.

You must be new around here

I am new!!   I must have missed all the recent threads that are about "Folks keep talking about Josh running out of time to win a championship".  Link?

Also, Elway was just getting old--he "matured" as soon as Shanny showed up and brought in Davis to carry the Offense. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I am new!!   I must have missed all the recent threads that are about "Folks keep talking about Josh running out of time to win a championship".  Link?

Also, Elway was just getting old--he "matured" as soon as Shanny showed up and brought in Davis to carry the Offense. 

As I said, you must be new.  If you look through all the various threads you see this brought up a lot.  But you know that, don’t you?

22 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Josh is just now entering the prime years as an NFL QB, which are typically between 27-32.  I disagree even with the notion of Josh not being a runner anymore.  He may not run as much and may slow down a little, but I'm thinking and hoping it's more because of his improvement at pre and post snap reads to throw the ball.  Big Ben may have slowed down late in his career, but even at the end of his career he was still super difficult to bring down.

I've said it time and time again that I think QBs get hurt more in the pocket.  Josh's 2 elbow injuries (the rookie year one, which was the only one to keep him out of games in his career, and last year) and his shoulder injury from this season were all from inside the pocket, not running.

Russel Wilson just rushed for 341 yards and 3 TDs in his age 35 season

Aaron Rodgers rushed for 269 yards and 2 TDs in his age 35 season.

Josh is going to be in his prime for at least the next half decade... he just needs to continue to grow in terms of knowing when to slide/go out of bounds and when to lower his shoulder.

Super Bowl next year!!!!!!  :flirt:

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

As I said, you must be new.  If you look through all the various threads you see this brought up a lot.  But you know that, don’t you?

nah, I'm just messing with you--iv'e been here for 15 years.

you are confusing "closing window" (for Josh with this Bills team) with "running out of time" re: he's getting old.  

No one has said he getting too old to win a SB....

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

nah, I'm just messing with you--iv'e been here for 15 years.

you are confusing "closing window" (for Josh with this Bills team) with "running out of time" re: he's getting old.  

No one has said he getting too old to win a SB....

I think the window is open as long as he’s our QB

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think the window is open as long as he’s our QB

History has proven it will take more than that.

For Elway, it took moving on from Reeves to Shanahan.  

With McD/revolving door of position coaches (in house) as OC, the window is not opening currently.....

23 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

People keep making comparisons to Cam Newton and how he fell off a cliff. Josh Allen is orders of magnitude better as a passer than Cam ever was. It’s not even close. 

I think a better comparison is John Elway. Dude was tough as nails and played until he was 38. I see at least 7more years of prime Allen, with the final few years seeing a dip in production. 

So in my opinion we have a solid 7 years left to potentially win a Super Bowl any given year. GO BILLS. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.