Greg Cosell - “I don’t think they have a number 1 WR”

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

If he caught that bomb in the chiefs game all the chatter would’ve gone away 

But he didn't catch it.

And that was a theme over the final 2 months of the season.  Not getting open, frequent drops and inability to make contested plays.

It's not like Diggs hasn't been facing extra attention his ENTIRE career in Buffalo.  That's not an excuse.  The Bills haven't had an elite #2 to draw coverage away since Cole Beasley was first cut.  Not an excuse either.  And every single WR in the league will have missed throws/plays on film that could have changed their stat line.  Also not an excuse.  Bottom line is, the production for Diggs fell off a cliff in the back-half of the season.

Most quarterbacks aren't Tom Brady.  And most wide receivers aren't Jerry Rice.  Age is a real thing for professional athletes, and it has nothing to do with talent or competitive drive.  Playing to 35-40 years old at a high level is extremely rare.  Look at the shelf life for most top WRs in the NFL, and you will see quite a large number start declining shortly after their 30th birthday.  The most recent that comes to mind is Julio Jones.  And once "Father Time" comes calling, it's over.

Hopefully Diggs was dealing with an undisclosed injury that really slowed him down.  Because otherwise, the harsh reality is that he has probably hit the age wall.  

I thought a 4 year $96M extension was a bit much for a player who’s nearing 30. WRs, like RBs, are known to drop off a cliff shortly after 30, so it seems a bit shortsighted to have a WR who’s 33/34 years old on the cap at over $24M/yr. Actually I believe that number is closer to $30M/yr since he’s already been restructured once. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:41 AM, babulator said:

IDK cover1 had a pretty good break down of how Diggs stuggled the 2nd half of the season the last 3 or 4 years, under Daboll, Dorsey and Brady. Basically his best season here was complimented Beasely and Brown, a real field stretcher and a legit slot wideout. He's not a field stretcher, he's not great in man, he struggles when D's focus on him down the stretch etc. Obviously, this isn't madden football, but we need to make a significant upgrade as soon as it is possible and makes sense. 

I read that Diggs was pissed off at FO because they did not try harder to sign Hopkins.  I believe he makes a huge difference and we don't need Sherfield or Harty's one game contribution against the Dolphins to clinch division and playoff spot.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I read that Diggs was pissed off at FO because they did not try harder to sign Hopkins.  I believe he makes a huge difference and we don't need Sherfield or Harty's one game contribution against the Dolphins to clinch division and playoff spot.  

I can believe this. He's no dummy, he knows it would have helped stretch the field and had a positive impact on his own game. In fact, it's no secret to anyone that's been keeping even a casual eye on the Bills. Sadly, Gabe ain't that guy either.

On 1/26/2024 at 4:02 PM, JerseyBills said:

Diggs still elite but his late season production is def concerning 

Shakir and Kincaid are young studs, we need 1 more difference maker and a guy to develop. 

Maybe Shorter emerges next year, he's physically a beast

I think it is a little optimistic to call Kincaid and, especially Shakir, “studs”.  They had promising seasons that suggest that the future is bright for them, but one season of “better than expected” doesn’t mean they are locks to be stars.  

For example, Shakir’s strong 2nd half season would not prevent me from drafting another slot WR.  I think the need for an outside guy is greater, but competition for Shakir isn’t out of the question.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

But he didn't catch it.

And that was a theme over the final 2 months of the season.  Not getting open, frequent drops and inability to make contested plays.

It's not like Diggs hasn't been facing extra attention his ENTIRE career in Buffalo.  That's not an excuse.  The Bills haven't had an elite #2 to draw coverage away since Cole Beasley was first cut.  Not an excuse either.  And every single WR in the league will have missed throws/plays on film that could have changed their stat line.  Also not an excuse.  Bottom line is, the production for Diggs fell off a cliff in the back-half of the season.

Most quarterbacks aren't Tom Brady.  And most wide receivers aren't Jerry Rice.  Age is a real thing for professional athletes, and it has nothing to do with talent or competitive drive.  Playing to 35-40 years old at a high level is extremely rare.  Look at the shelf life for most top WRs in the NFL, and you will see quite a large number start declining shortly after their 30th birthday.  The most recent that comes to mind is Julio Jones.  And once "Father Time" comes calling, it's over.

Hopefully Diggs was dealing with an undisclosed injury that really slowed him down.  Because otherwise, the harsh reality is that he has probably hit the age wall.  

Greg Cosell and Chris Simms say the tape says otherwise.  He is not doubled often.  Defenses dont go to the lengths to stop Diggs they go to stop other wrs.  Diggs is great but alot of the production come with volume. 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

But he didn't catch it.

I agree. In previous years Diggs makes the catches he dropped or missed this year, a true difference maker. Not so much this year. I am hoping it was injury related, but time will tell.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Diggs 44 receptions on 75 attempts, 8 yards per attempt under Joe Brady over 9 games.

Along with how many drops, fumbles, and disinterested play when he's not getting the ball? 

To think he's due almost $28 million next year, same as Von Miller. Yikes. 

Peter King had the following in his weekly column today;

I think Buffalo GM Brandon Beane has some big decisions to make, maybe none bigger than what to do with Stefon Diggs. Diggs is 30. He’s due for a cap number of $27.9 million next year, which, for a player who didn’t have a 100-yard receiving day in the Bills’ last 13 games, is quite excessive. In fact, in the last 10 weeks of the season, Khalil Shakir had more receiving yards and touchdowns than Diggs—and it was Shakir who Josh Allen targeted on the biggest play of the season, Allen’s overthrow of him in the end zone near the end of the Kansas City playoff game. I expect the Bills to want to do major surgery on Diggs’ deal, and I expect Diggs to not be happy about it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/fmia-conference-championships-brock-purdy-delivers-again-to-meet-mahomes-in-super-bowl?cid=fmiatw

I'm not a contract expert. Do we have a leg to stand on in terms of forcing a renegotiation?

31 minutes ago, DrMaxPower said:

Peter King had the following in his weekly column today;

I think Buffalo GM Brandon Beane has some big decisions to make, maybe none bigger than what to do with Stefon Diggs. Diggs is 30. He’s due for a cap number of $27.9 million next year, which, for a player who didn’t have a 100-yard receiving day in the Bills’ last 13 games, is quite excessive. In fact, in the last 10 weeks of the season, Khalil Shakir had more receiving yards and touchdowns than Diggs—and it was Shakir who Josh Allen targeted on the biggest play of the season, Allen’s overthrow of him in the end zone near the end of the Kansas City playoff game. I expect the Bills to want to do major surgery on Diggs’ deal, and I expect Diggs to not be happy about it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/fmia-conference-championships-brock-purdy-delivers-again-to-meet-mahomes-in-super-bowl?cid=fmiatw

I'm not a contract expert. Do we have a leg to stand on in terms of forcing a renegotiation?

No.  If Diggs wants out he may come to the table though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.