Playoffs under McDermott

TFBillsfan

McDermott is now 5-6 in the playoffs. All five of the wins have been at home. He’s yet to win on the road going 0-4.

His victories have come against the following QB led teams:

*Indy 27-24 led by Phillip Rivers 

*NE 47-17 led by Mac Jones (btw has beaten the Bills twice)
*Baltimore 17-3 led by Lamar Jackson who left the game injured

*MIA 34-31 led Skylar Thompson

*Pittsburgh 31-17 led by Mason Rudolph

His losses have been to:

*KC led by Mahomes 
>38-24

>42-36

>27-24
*Cinncy 27-10 led by Burrows 

*Houston 22-19 led by Watson

*Jags 10-3 led by Bortles

His playoff track record is beating lower tier QB led teams and has won those games without being upset.

Against good QB led teams in the playoffs his track record is atrocious. IMO, the team under his leadership has squandered and or choked in four of those games. He’s yet to win a game against top tier contenders.

I give McDermott all the credit to building the franchise to what it is today. There is certainly a lot of good in what he does but I continue to come back to the little things that keep holding him back. Lastly, I don’t see much growth from him. Every year there is a common theme. Sure the Bills have won, but how many games have they lost where they had no business losing? At the end of the day coaching matters, preparation matters, scheme and playcalling matters, adjusting during the game matters and time and time again McD and his staff fail in big moments. I really question if he can get them where they’re trying to get to especially when it matters the most!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes the stats speak for themselves. All of McD's playoff losses have 2 things in common. Bad decisions in game by him or his defenses that could not get it done when it really mattered. Last night had both again. He should have gone for the 4th down at the end. Going for the FG would have only had us the tie temporarily before Mahomes drove down the field for a winning FG on a defense that would have most likely have left guys wide open in a soft zone (as they did all night) or got gashed by 8 yard runs. 

Andy Reid is a HOF coach but even he got fired for not taking the Eagles over the hump. McD isnt in the same conversation as Reid but we dont have the ruthless ownership that the Eagles do to move on from him.

Until he does something else he will be known for this.  However, looking at it a different way, lets list the teams/coaches with 5 playoff wins the last 4 years.  I believe there are three including McDermott/Bills.  The losses have been incredibly close except for Cinci and while being competitive is not good enough, he is not getting shellacked.  Andy Reid is top 5 all time.

37 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Yes the stats speak for themselves. All of McD's playoff losses have 2 things in common. Bad decisions in game by him or his defenses that could not get it done when it really mattered. Last night had both again. He should have gone for the 4th down at the end. Going for the FG would have only had us the tie temporarily before Mahomes drove down the field for a winning FG on a defense that would have most likely have left guys wide open in a soft zone (as they did all night) or got gashed by 8 yard runs. 

Andy Reid is a HOF coach but even he got fired for not taking the Eagles over the hump. McD isnt in the same conversation as Reid but we dont have the ruthless ownership that the Eagles do to move on from him.

FWIW, it took the Eagles a long time to move on from Reid. And it didn't immediately work out for the Eagles, either.

But yeah, at this point, the Bills expecting different results in the playoffs without making major changes is the definition of insanity. 

Edited by MPL
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sean is 0-6 against division winners in the playoffs.

That should be enough to get your ass fired but we all know that isn’t going to happen this year. Next year should be his absolute last kick at the can. 

Head coaches have done more with a lot less behind center.

• Thank you (+1) 1

He's the same in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. His defense gets shredded by any good QB. Josh bails him out most of the time. His defense pads stats against garbage teams and QBs. No sacks and almost no pressure on Mahomes. One gift fumble. Guys running wide open all game. 

Only reason KC got 6 points on first drives was because Mahomes missed wide open guys in the endzone. 

If McD stays which he probably will our only hope is Beane takes more control and uses the draft and free agency on the offense. 

48 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

McDermott is now 5-6 in the playoffs. All five of the wins have been at home. He’s yet to win on the road going 0-4.

His victories have come against the following QB led teams:

*Indy 27-24 led by Phillip Rivers 

*NE 47-17 led by Mac Jones (btw has beaten the Bills twice)
*Baltimore 17-3 led by Lamar Jackson who left the game injured

*MIA 34-31 led Skylar Thompson

*Pittsburgh 31-17 led by Mason Rudolph

His losses have been to:

*KC led by Mahomes 
>38-24

>42-36

>27-24
*Cinncy 27-10 led by Burrows 

*Houston 22-19 led by Watson

*Jags 10-3 led by Bortles

His playoff track record is beating lower tier QB led teams and has won those games without being upset.

Against good QB led teams in the playoffs his track record is atrocious. IMO, the team under his leadership has squandered and or choked in four of those games. He’s yet to win a game against top tier contenders.

I give McDermott all the credit to building the franchise to what it is today. There is certainly a lot of good in what he does but I continue to come back to the little things that keep holding him back. Lastly, I don’t see much growth from him. Every year there is a common theme. Sure the Bills have won, but how many games have they lost where they had no business losing? At the end of the day coaching matters, preparation matters, scheme and playcalling matters, adjusting during the game matters and time and time again McD and his staff fail in big moments. I really question if he can get them where they’re trying to get to especially when it matters the most!

I'd take it a step further. McD has proven in Buffalo he can't get it done. You will see similar results next year just last the previous three years. At some point you have to cut your losses. 

His Defense and yes it has always been his has failed us.  From 13 seconds now to the last 3 years.   Its time to move on, take the hit gutting the deadweight and bring in a Offensive minded HC that can design an offense that has identity and creativity.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

He's the same in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. His defense gets shredded by any good QB. Josh bails him out most of the time. His defense pads stats against garbage teams and QBs. No sacks and almost no pressure on Mahomes. One gift fumble. Guys running wide open all game. 

Only reason KC got 6 points on first drives was because Mahomes missed wide open guys in the endzone. 

If McD stays which he probably will our only hope is Beane takes more control and uses the draft and free agency on the offense. 

I don’t think he’s the same in the playoffs as the regular season. Not one bit.

3-0 in his last 3 regular season games against the Chiefs….all on the road and the defense played great in all of those games.

0-3 in his last 3 playoff games against the Chiefs….and his defense sucked in every one of those games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.