Allen was legendary (even better than 13 seconds Allen)

Einstein

57 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Allen played very well and I certainly don't blame him for the loss. But history does not care about anything you just said. Nobody remembers what a QB had when he didn't or didn't execute a game winning drive. Nobody is talking about how a OL was pushed back into the QB and that is why he missed a throw or a team that shouldn't have called a run play who did and that's why they didn't have enough plays. It is downright normal for a QB to have to execute on a game winning drive and at the end of the day all that matter is yes or no. Did he or didn't he. In this case he didn't, so to call this a legendary performance really is a flat out joke. It was a very good performance, certainly enough to win. 

The gutting thing is how many times has Josh left the field with a lead? Even in his downtime this season he seemed to do it more often than not. Yet in the biggest game of the season, he couldn’t do it. Blame Jones. Congratulate Jones. Say Josh should have thrown to Diggs. But, albeit unreasonably, that’s what’s going to follow him around the off season. On the plus side, it’s a damnsight better than what he had swirling around him after the Bengals game this time last year.

Edit - Or even blame Dawkins.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Agree 1

Just now, BeastMaster said:

Legendary is completing that pass to Shakir to put us up 4 with less than two minutes

He was fantastic, but he needed to make that throw to Shakir

So you don't think Jones knocking Dawkins into Josh as he was throwing didn't impact that play? The difference is other teams always seem to have playmakers coming through for their team(Jones being the playmaker for KC) and The Bills relying on Josh all the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

At some point, Allen's running will slow down.  He can't keep getting smashed game in and game out in the regular season.  My question, can he be a good pocket QB?  I struggle with this because I love when he scrambles around and creates stuff off script (throwing or running).  When he stands in the pocket sometimes he is slow to read and release or throws an inaccurate series of passes.  

He's the entirety of the Buffalo Bills offense.  I want the guy to have an extended career even after the running slows up.

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Chiefs defense is outstanding which I am not sure is understood enough.  This game was lost on defense, if you told me the BIlls will run the ball effectively, score 24 points and have no turnovers I would have taken that.   Allowing those guys to score 27 in your house with a limited number of drives was the issue.  We can make the injury excuse but to me that is all it is, you have to scheme it up and fine a way.

This.

The Vegas line had it at 2.5 for the Bills and and over-under of 45.5. That means that the Vegas experts implied a 24-21.5 game. So the offense held up to their end of the bargain. The defense gave up 5.5 points than projected.

While it can't be denied that the defense (secondary and LBers) was a MASH unit, the DL was pretty much healthy -- and with 10 available players on that unit, they should have been fresh all game. With the Bills offense dominating time of possession that is even more the case. So the real story -- beyond everything else that happened -- is why the DL with so much invested in it was unable to pick up the slack and at least apply some pressure on Mahomes, let alone bottle up Pacheco. And any game plan (regardless of injuries) that allowed Kelce to run as wide open as he did, needs to be highly scrutinized.

Also, credit where it is due, the Chiefs played very well. Their WRs (aside from Rice) played terribly all season -- and even in the playoffs against Miami had a number of key drops that resulted in stalled drives leading to FGs rather than TDs. Against the Bills last night, however, I do not recall a single dropped pass on the part of KC. Of course, the Bills had a number of huge ones.

6 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I never said it was Allen’s fault. I said asking Allen to close out a final drive is not anything that hasn’t been asked by Mahomes, Brady, and every other Super Bowl champion in NFL history. People are acting as if we put some unmanageable burden on Josh in this game. Not at all the case. The poor defensive performance increased that burden but he still nearly got it done with 200 yards passing and most that damage behind the line of scrimmage. 

Mahomes didn't do it last night, had the chance to get a 2 score lead and put the game away in the 4th and he takes his team nowhere and has to punt leaving nearly the perfect amount of time for Buffalo to grind out the clock on a long drive.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

At some point, Allen's running will slow down.  He can't keep getting smashed game in and game out in the regular season.  My question, can he be a good pocket QB?  I struggle with this because I love when he scrambles around and creates stuff off script (throwing or running).  When he stands in the pocket sometimes he is slow to read and release or throws an inaccurate series of passes.  

He's the entirety of the Buffalo Bills offense.  I want the guy to have an extended career even after the running slows up.

I really want him to go back to Palmer this off season. Work on being more of a pocket passer, on making plays when the O Line holds up and he has time to survey the field. No one’s perfect but if he can improve on that, he’d be as close to unstoppable as a QB can be.

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Mahomes didn't do it last night, had the chance to get a 2 score lead and put the game away in the 4th and he takes his team nowhere and has to punt leaving nearly the perfect amount of time for Buffalo to grind out the clock on a long drive.

He has done it so many times I can't count and Josh will have to as well, as he has in the past. 

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I really want him to go back to Palmer this off season. Work on being more of a pocket passer, on making plays when the O Line holds up and he has time to survey the field. No one’s perfect but if he can improve on that, he’d be as close to unstoppable as a QB can be.

Yeah i don't need perfection but there are plenty of occasions when he has a clean pocket and his eyes are a bit slow to react or he hesitates on his decision.  These result in those 2 yard completions sideways, or slinging the ball over someone's head out of bounds.  I dunno, the OC scheming up those Detroit Lions, Goff passes are getting dudes wide open in the middle of the field.  We don't ever see that.

38 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Legendary is completing that pass to Shakir to put us up 4 with less than two minutes

Either that or the crosser to Diggs.  A TD would’ve given KC a lot of time…..and as you’ve pointed out several times, McD can’t stop elite QBs…..why would this have been any different.  

looking at the play with regards to time and score he should’ve dumped to Diggs.  Kept the clock moving- moved the chains and forced KC to call TOs

1 hour ago, BeastMaster said:

Did you want him to block for Dawkins too?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Who mentioned anything about history (except for you)? You are creating a strawman argument.

What was said is that Allen played great. Period. That’s it.

Allen deserved the win. 

Diggs ruined it for him. Sherfield ruined it for him. Dawkins (on one play anyway) ruined it for him.

Says the guy who blames Allen for only 7 second half points and points to Klein (who gave up a grand total of TWO receptions to Kelce the entire game).

Quote where" I blamed Allen for 7 second half points".  I think you are reading into things a bit.

3 hours ago, RousseauRage said:

Yay...another loss where we can pretend he's the greatest 🙄

Absurd …..

I’ve been Bills fan for fifty years.   Traveled to SuperBowls and had season tickets.   He’s the best quarterback, arguably player, we’ve ever had.  He’s a first ballot hall of famer.   His team struggles against the Chiefs who are poised to become an all time great team in the same conversation with the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers.   They, and only they, have Allen’s team’s number.  If you mean he’s not the greatest of all time, I’ll congratulate you for an astute grasp of the obvious but ask you who is.   If you mean he’s not good enough to win on any Sunday, at the top of his class, great in any meaningful definition of the word, I’ll not congratulate you, but I’ll forgive you for a profound lack of history, context, proportion and vocabulary.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Edit - Or even blame Dawkins.

Here's the thing.  I don't blame Dawkins at all.  He got beat on that one play.  It happens.  When I and others call out that Dawkins got pushed back into Allen impacting the throw we're stating a fact as an explanation for why Allen missed the throw.  Dawkins had a fantastic season.  No one should judge him by one play because no one in he NFL is prefect on every play.

7 minutes ago, Neo said:

Absurd …..

I’ve been Bills fan for fifty years.   Traveled to SuperBowls and had season tickets.   He’s the best quarterback, arguably player, we’ve ever had.  He’s a first ballot hall of famer.   His team struggles against the Chiefs who are poised to become an all time great team in the same conversation with the Packers, Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers.   They, and only they, have Allen’s team’s number.  If you mean he’s not the greatest of all time, I’ll congratulate you for an astute grasp of the obvious but ask you who is.   If you mean he’s not good enough to win on any Sunday, at the top of his class, great in any meaningful definition of the word, I’ll not congratulate you, but I’ll forgive you for a profound lack of history, context, proportion and vocabulary.

So much cope

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Here's the thing.  I don't blame Dawkins at all.  He got beat on that one play.  It happens.  When I and others call out that Dawkins got pushed back into Allen impacting the throw we're stating a fact as an explanation for why Allen missed the throw.  Dawkins had a fantastic season.  No one should judge him by one play because no one in he NFL is prefect on every play.

Agreed. But why so much heat on Josh (not from you) for not making the throw yet little heat on Dawkins for allowing the pressure to happen? It's as though Josh gets all the criticism and everyone else on offense almost gets a pass. It feels like 2&9 has been mentioned more on here post match than the Diggs and Sherfield drops, for example. Or the missed FG.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.