Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

8 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

You take what the D gives you and multiple times there were WRs crossing wide open that would easily gotten 1st down to keep the drive going.

Not sure we are talking about the same play. 

I'm talking about the last 2nd down throw to Shakir all the Monday morning QBs are clamoring for a throw to Diggs instead because the CBS broadcast made it look like he was wide open two yards downfield. The defense gave the Bills a wide open receiver in the end zone and the correct decision was to take it! Chris Jones made a great play to walk Dawkins into Allen and ruined it.

Screenshot2024-01-22122606.thumb.jpg.ee78737b3254908b09c9f2817d72aaf9.jpg

Edited by Wraith
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just when you thought that the Bills strategy all along had been to burn the clock and end up with the ball last..........the only real chance they had to win this game.........they come out of the 2 minute warning with a shot play for no reason.

I don't know what game people were watching but the play there was to take small gains,  bully their way to a couple more first downs just as they had been doing for most of the game.......and force KC to use up their timeouts.

THEN worry about scoring the touchdown.

I can't understand what they were thinking during that timeout.   

Totally appropriate ending to their season though.   

Exactly what I saw. Thought the previous 48 minutes was for the most part, well executed strategy on offense and complementary football by simply keeping KC off the field and wearing down their defense, while limiting exposure to ours.

I was screaming at the TV "what are you doing", just grind yards whether it was that open crosser to Diggs or simply out-physicalling KC and forcing their way down the field taking the yards and first downs as they came, with the intent to kill clock culminating in a touchdown.

You put it better but it was extremely frustrating watching the shot that got broken by Jones affecting Allen's throw, or even worse, what looked like a desperation throw on 3rd down. The first down conversion would have been there if they took what was there on second.

• Agree 1

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It doesn’t make sense because shakir is wide freakin open for a td lol. Y’all are talking like it was a 50/50 jump ball type play 😂. That throw to diggs even if it was unaffected by Dawkins getting backed into josh at the last second probably gets stopped short meaning you need another big 4th down conversion then multiple other conversions to possibly do what one throw to shakir would’ve done.  ‘Keeping the drive going’ means nothing if you can’t get in the end zone and the way the flow of the game was going, it’s more likely we don’t pick up those tough short yardage plays.  

That's not the play I'm talking about....I will see if I can find the ones I'm talking about. There were 2 instances (1 ended up punting, other was FG attempt I believe) that would have been a 1st down had Josh taken it

Is Bills/Chiefs a rivalry?

I think it is.  But most Chiefs fans don't.  I guess it depends how you define it.  

I also thought Colts/Patriots was a rivalry, prior to Manning breaking through in 2006.  For me, it's just more about the games - how important they are, how much everyone anticipates them, et al.

4 minutes ago, Success said:

Is Bills/Chiefs a rivalry?

I think it is.  But most Chiefs fans don't.  I guess it depends how you define it.  

I also thought Colts/Patriots was a rivalry, prior to Manning breaking through in 2006.  For me, it's just more about the games - how important they are, how much everyone anticipates them, et al.

it's not a rivalry in the sense that these teams are equally competitive in the big moments

the chiefs feel the same way about the bills that we do about the dolphins tbh

when it counts we are going to lose

• Like (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Just when you thought that the Bills strategy all along had been to burn the clock and end up with the ball last..........the only real chance they had to win this game.........they come out of the 2 minute warning with a shot play for no reason.

I don't know what game people were watching but the play there was to take small gains,  bully their way to a couple more first downs just as they had been doing for most of the game.......and force KC to use up their timeouts.

THEN worry about scoring the touchdown.

I can't understand what they were thinking during that timeout.   

Totally appropriate ending to their season though.   

Watching the game I thought the same thing. Take small chunks and force KC to use all their timeouts. 

Worse case it makes for a shorter FG that is more makeable.

You go into OT and live to fight another day.

But I agree the only way Bills win this game is to have the ball last

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Watching the game I thought the same thing. Take small chunks and force KC to use all their timeouts. 

that is an impossible threshold for success imo

against one of if not the best defense in the league a clean game where we played a clean game and held the ball about as long as humanly possible...it just makes the margin for victory impossibly thin if we also need to have the ball last

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Agree. This is not good by stats by defense. 

Screenshot_20240122-124723.png

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Agreed! I don't get it either, so frustrating seeing WR's running across wide open that easily would have been a 1st down and for whatever reason Josh didn't take it smh

Diggs was running his pattern right to left which is where the DE was pushing Dawkins into Allen so I'm not sure he saw how open Diggs was on that play for a 5 yard gain.  The shot to the end zone was the right read by Allen.  He came up short because he couldn't plant his foot as Dawkins was being pushed into him. Were talking about half a second between missing that throw and getting the TD. 

Frankly, the play by play analysis of Allen and the expectation that he plays perfectly on every play is bizarre.  No where else in the NFL is this expected.  Allen is very good but he can not be perfect every play.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'm talking about the last 2nd down throw to Shakir all the Monday morning QBs are clamoring for a throw to Diggs instead because the CBS broadcast made it look like he was wide open two yards downfield. The defense gave the Bills a wide open receiver in the end zone and the correct decision was to take it! Chris Jones made a great play to walk Dawkins into Allen and ruined it.

Screenshot2024-01-22122606.thumb.jpg.ee78737b3254908b09c9f2817d72aaf9.jpg

Exactly.  If Josh would've just climbed the pocket 2 steps and let it rip, we're talking about possibly the game winning touchdown.  The throw to Shakir is absolutely the right read.

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

that is an impossible threshold for success imo

against one of if not the best defense in the league a clean game where we played a clean game and held the ball about as long as humanly possible...it just makes the margin for victory impossibly thin if we also need to have the ball last

Great point.  McD was asking Allen & Brady to not only score more points then KC but to do so in the most difficult and challenging way possible by chewing up clock and plays.  It's one thing to ask your offense to do this ONCE per game but through almost the entire game - madness.  The Bills 5 scoring/missed FG drives were all over 10 plays (11, 12, 14, 15 & 16).

When you step back and think about it what was being asked of Allen & Brady was INSANE.  That the two almost pulled it off is a credit to their exceptional performances last night. The Bills at the end of the first half and at the end of the game, while they were TRAILING on the score board, were trying to run out the clock AND score the go ahead/winning TD!  Think about that for a minute.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Truth. Bills win a few of those should win games and we are likely healthier from having a bye in round 1, then would have played HOU this week, and playing winner of KC/BAL game next week. 

And the dirty little thing that no one wants to talk about here is that our "MVP" QB cost us dearly in at least TWO of those games (Jets and Patriots)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well, I mean when your defense is depleted like that it's eventually going to happen. Especially a QB like PM will take full advantage of that

The defensive line was not depleted and is where a big chunk of the Bills FA money & draft capital has gone over the last few years.  A dominating performance by the D line last night would have done more to protect McD's depleted LB group then putting a governor on the offense and expecting them to outscore KC while simultaneously running out the clock.

We can all ignore the obvious.  I sure as hell have over the last few seasons but no more.  The bills suffer from significant tactical & strategic deficiency's in how they structure their roster and game plans.  And until they fix this we are not advancing past the divisional round of the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Great point.  McD was asking Allen & Brady to not only score more points then KC but to do so in the most difficult and challenging way possible by chewing up clock and plays.  It's one thing to ask your offense to do this ONCE per game but through almost the entire game - madness.  The Bills 5 scoring/missed FG drives were all over 10 plays (11, 12, 14, 15 & 16).

When you step back and think about it what was being asked of Allen & Brady was INSANE.  That the two almost pulled it off is a credit to their exceptional performances last night. The Bills at the end of the first half and at the end of the game, while they were TRAILING on the score board, were trying to run out the clock AND score the go ahead/winning TD!  Think about that for a minute.

Of course it was

The Chiefs were averaging over A HALF POINT PER OFFENSIVE PLAY...that is absolute ***** insanity. If the offense hadn't played a near perfect game script and Mahomes doesn't misfire twice in the redzone we are getting run out of the building

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

And the dirty little thing that no one wants to talk about here is that our "MVP" QB cost us dearly in at least TWO of those games (Jets and Patriots)

So you're going there even after last nights performance by Allen?  Well two can play the stupid game of coulda/woulda/shoulda and point out that our MVP QB left the Bills with the lead in 3 games with less then 2 minutes left on the clock only to see the D blow the leads.

But hey you might get your wish and be rid of Allen Pine Barrens Mafia.  A friend of mine is worried, and rightfully so, that after yesterday McD & Bean are going to go to Pegula and make the case that the Bills have to spend even more draft & FA capitol on strengthening the D.  I fervently hope this doesn't happen but if it does I wouldn't blame Allen if he started the process of getting out of Buffalo.

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

So you're going there even after last nights performance by Allen?  Well two can play the stupid game of coulda/woulda/shoulda and point out that our MVP QB left the Bills with the lead in 3 games with less then 2 minutes left on the clock only to see the D blow the leads.

But hey you might get your wish and be rid of Allen Pine Barrens Mafia.  A friend of mine is worried, and rightfully so, that after yesterday McD & Bean are going to go to Pegula and make the case that the Bills have to spend even more draft & FA capitol on strengthening the D.  I fervently hope this doesn't happen but if it does I wouldn't blame Allen if he started the process of getting out of Buffalo.

Only want that to happen under a VERY limited set of circumstances that includes acquiring chicago's firsts this year and next.

Other than that, no. Also, let's not lionize last night's performance.

Edited by Pine Barrens Mafia
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Allen carries this team all the time. All the time.

He gets a couple of mulligans.

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Diggs was running his pattern right to left which is where the DE was pushing Dawkins into Allen so I'm not sure he saw how open Diggs was on that play for a 5 yard gain.  The shot to the end zone was the right read by Allen.  He came up short because he couldn't plant his foot as Dawkins was being pushed into him. Were talking about half a second between missing that throw and getting the TD. 

Frankly, the play by play analysis of Allen and the expectation that he plays perfectly on every play is bizarre.  No where else in the NFL is this expected.  Allen is very good but he can not be perfect every play.

The counterpoint here is that JA and a couple other QBs in the league (Stroud is one) do not have to "step into" their throws all the time (within reason/obviously can't arm only throw a 60 yarder) to make a good throw. So bottom line is that you're making an excuse for JA.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.