Raiders Hire HC Pierce

On 1/20/2024 at 3:47 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

Pierce got the job. I think this is the latest bad call by Davis. Last time, he didn’t hire the interim guy and that failed miserably. This time, because of last time, he hired the guy.

Taking over like Pierce did has zero in common with being the guy and running the team from day 1. So Davis hired an unknown, when maybe he could’ve hired the completest KNOWN in NFL history. 

He should have hired Belichick. I think the fit would’ve been perfect. If Davis was thinking that he got burned by Gruden’s reign and he didn’t want to go that way again with Belichick, he’d be dead wrong. Belichick isn’t Gruden, in anyway.

My instincts tell me that Bill would’ve loved to coach Vegas and break Halas’s record while in Silver and Black. It’s an iconic franchise, that I think BB is a huge fan of, and it would’ve made a lot of sense and had the right look to the end of his recording breaking career. The NFL would’ve loved it too. 

Unless you guys pull up references to Belichick having beef with the Davis’s and tha Raiders..? I’d love to learn about it.

I’m guessing that part of the interview process for these teams who are courting BB includes how they’ll handle the record breaking moment. To which, Bill will whisper-mutter …I don’t want anything happening between plays…. 

Enough with the Belichick worship. He's 72 and his time was due, if not overdue. See ya Billy....

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Kingsbury has changed his mind. Pulled out 

I just saw that on the chryon during the Senior Bowl broadcast. BTW, how much of a football problem do we all have if we're spending a Saturday watching a college all-star game that even the players feel is unimportant?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

I just saw that on the chryon during the Senior Bowl broadcast. BTW, how much of a football problem do we all have if we're spending a Saturday watching a college all-star game that even the players feel is unimportant?

Haha. My other half is about to make me turn it off. Ill catch up with the rest tomorrow. 

I definitely have a draft geek problem. 

Hated this hire from the beginning.  Felt like it was an impulsive hire from by Davis for the heat he felt for hiring McDaniels over Bisaccia and the Raiders players just liking Pierce. Just two years experience in the NFL as a coach.  One and a half being a positional coach.  No experience as a coordinator.  A defensive guy (why not go hard after Vrabel, MacDonald, or Belichick if you're going that path) when there were a lot of innovative offensive coordinators on the market who paid their dues.  You don't have a quarterback.  You're now clearly 4th in a division where you have three proven NFL head coaches in Harbaugh, Reid, and Payton.  I give it two and a half seasons.  I think Kingsbury relenting is a net positive though but they need to make the right hire now.  Wonder what's going through D. Adams's head right now.

• Agree 1

On 1/21/2024 at 10:39 AM, boater said:

I think Bill is insisting on being GM.. and that is costing him HC opportunities.

Anyone with good sense would pass on Bill as the GM, 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Hated this hire from the beginning.  Felt like it was an impulsive hire from by Davis for the heat he felt for hiring McDaniels over Bisaccia and the Raiders players just liking Pierce. Just two years experience in the NFL as a coach.  One and a half being a positional coach.  No experience as a coordinator.  A defensive guy (why not go hard after Vrabel, MacDonald, or Belichick if you're going that path) when there were a lot of innovative offensive coordinators on the market who paid their dues.  You don't have a quarterback.  You're now clearly 4th in a division where you have three proven NFL head coaches in Harbaugh, Reid, and Payton.  I give it two and a half seasons.  I think Kingsbury relenting is a net positive though but they need to make the right hire now.  Wonder what's going through D. Adams's head right now.

Are there a lot of innovative offensive coordinators who have paid their dues? Who are they?

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It wasn't impulsive. Max Crosby was saying he was going to demand a trade if Pierce wasn't named HC.

Now the players probably feel that way because of McDaniels over Bisacchia 2 years ago. But I think Davis had much more heat internally than externally.

I also don't think coordinator experience is THAT big of a deal for the HC job. Harbaugh was a ST coordinator. Tomlin had 1 year of being a DC ever.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Are there a lot of innovative offensive coordinators who have paid their dues? Who are they?

We are down to picking up the stems of the Shanny coaching tree.  And at this point, I'm not sure the offense is all that "innovative" when the clones run it.

• Agree 1

On 1/20/2024 at 2:47 PM, Thrivefourfive said:

Pierce got the job. I think this is the latest bad call by Davis. Last time, he didn’t hire the interim guy and that failed miserably. This time, because of last time, he hired the guy.

Taking over like Pierce did has zero in common with being the guy and running the team from day 1. So Davis hired an unknown, when maybe he could’ve hired the completest KNOWN in NFL history. 

He should have hired Belichick. I think the fit would’ve been perfect. If Davis was thinking that he got burned by Gruden’s reign and he didn’t want to go that way again with Belichick, he’d be dead wrong. Belichick isn’t Gruden, in anyway.

My instincts tell me that Bill would’ve loved to coach Vegas and break Halas’s record while in Silver and Black. It’s an iconic franchise, that I think BB is a huge fan of, and it would’ve made a lot of sense and had the right look to the end of his recording breaking career. The NFL would’ve loved it too. 

Unless you guys pull up references to Belichick having beef with the Davis’s and tha Raiders..? I’d love to learn about it.

I’m guessing that part of the interview process for these teams who are courting BB includes how they’ll handle the record breaking moment. To which, Bill will whisper-mutter …I don’t want anything happening between plays…. 

Why would BB want to coach the Raiders - who aren’t ideally positioned with either a QB or a top draft pick and go up against Mahomes and Reid every season to finish his career?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Why would BB want to coach the Raiders - who aren’t ideally positioned with either a QB or a top draft pick and go up against Mahomes and Reid every season to finish his career?

I think I stated my opinion. Do we all think Bill is going to parachute into a championship roster and ride that cowboy to a Super Bowl next season? He has six rings. He wants that all time winning record. Probably doesn’t expect much else,, Jesus a Super Bowl would be unbelievable for him. He knows that.

The Raiders are iconic. Bill is a football historian. Being linked in some way to that side of history may interest him.  But I know absolutely nothing. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Kingsbury has changed his mind. Pulled out 

He’s had plenty of practice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.