Isn't This Game the Ultimate Referendum on Beane?

20 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

More a referendum on a dome. 

No one can convince me that the weather and field conditions didn’t at least play a small part in some of the damage to our guys. 

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Bills suffered a huge rash of injuries playing Jacksonville on what was reported to be Astroturf over cement in London, and then suffered a second rash of injuries playing on a field that doesn't have under-field heating.  It would have started off a bit flexible because it was covered by snow and a tarp which both insulate, but by game time it was probably cement-hard.

Part of that is the Bils D is built light and fast.  So to be able to hit stick, they go for the "A: in the F = MA thing.  That means they're gonna hit the cement at high speed and if they hit wrong, Bam.

• Agree 1

I don’t think a single game can be a referendum on a GM. Football is way too random for that. He is responsible for roster construction and coaching hires, and teams with superior rosters and coaching lose all the time.

I think it is fair to take a look at his body of work and say it isn’t good enough though if that was your prerogative.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Nick Wright did bring up a point that’s been raised several times on this board…. Are we the Marty/Norv Chargers if we lose this game on Sunday?… the similarities are strong.

Why don't you saunter off and  'enjoy yourself' watching Nick Wright and other clickbait trolls then, if you find them so authoritative and interesting?

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Every trick possible?… they had one game where defensive injuries hit against a mediocre football team in Pittsburgh(below average offense with a third string QB)… minus London the defense has been healthy mostly all season

Considering that the week before they lost an all-pro CB who appeared to have returned to form....and then in London they lost an all-pro LB and their best DT, AND they were all lost for the season or most of the season (DQ did come back) -

- that seems like an "OTHER THAN THAT, Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?" kind of statement.

Since that might go over your head: if you put together a great D and then lose the best player at every level for the season (or close) 1/3 of the way through, you can't just subtract that game out and say "oh, but they've been healthy all season".  They've been missing 2 key players all season (and one most of the season).

And by the way, that 3rd string QB had just helped his team win 3 straight against two teams that were fighting hard for the playoffs, and against the Ravens in a cold monsoon rain.  Let's not act like we can just average a team's performance over the entire season and tell who they are in late Dec/January.  The 3rd string 'Reindeer' was rocking a 118 passer rating and a 3:0 TD:INT ratio coming into last week's game.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

They replaced White with a better version in Douglas by mid season, an adequate replacement of Jones with Joseph for a handful of games and Jones is now back… so yea they lost Milano, but an off the ball LB(even if he’s an all pro) is as reasonable an injury to cope with as it gets for a 17 game season and playoffs …..they’ve been relatively healthy otherwise and actually improved at CB1.

Along with your execrable taste in what football shows you suck down your optic nerves into your skull, this post epitomizes why I normally don't engage with you. 

You are totally unable to acknowledge valid points.  Whether that's because you're unable to process them, or whether as a posturing technique in debate, I can't tell.

I could respond to your points, but why bother, when you'll only move the goalposts and re-define what you're saying - first the Bills D has been healthy all season.  No, they haven't been healthy all season, they lost key players for the entire season - well that doesn't count, because it's a "reasonable injury to cope with".

Sheesh.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I don't think it's a coincidence that the Bills suffered a huge rash of injuries playing Jacksonville on what was reported to be Astroturf over cement in London, and then suffered a second rash of injuries playing on a field that doesn't have under-field heating.  It would have started off a bit flexible because it was covered by snow and a tarp which both insulate, but by game time it was probably cement-hard.

Part of that is the Bils D is built light and fast.  So to be able to hit stick, they go for the "A: in the F = MA thing.  That means they're gonna hit the cement at high speed and if they hit wrong, Bam.

Great points.

Beck, back in the day I played a couple of times in high school on the old Rich Stadium carpet.

holy **** 😂😂 terrible. The improvements in field tech are worlds above what it was back then, but like you said when it gets cold and it gets hard…man, it’s frustrating to see even only one possibly injury from it when you are trying to get to the Super Bowl.

As a fan I could honestly care less about my conditions.  But having the best conditions for our players, and having players then want to come here to play because of the conditions was virtually my sole desire for a dome.

Go Bills!

The Buffalo injuries to their defense might still be a problem. McD has overcome so much with so many injuries this season.

However, the offense has no excuse and should get an early lead to allow that run game to get working. 

The Buffalo Bills seem to be squeaking by so many teams this season and let's not forget that throwback pass by Kelce that would have won them the game if not for the Offside. 

Buffalo has the potential to be as explosive on offense as they were in 2020,2021. This year they blew out the Raiders, Commanders, Jets, and recently the Dallas Cowboys. 

Another concern is this Ref crew as they are the same ones for this year's Eagles game with so many bad calls against the Bills. 

We will see. Buffalo should win this game. 

I have been as hard as anyone on Beane as a GM, I’ll say this.  I still think there is entirely too much money invested in the DL and the Miller move was asking for problems (specifically after they’re-structure), BUT BUT, he did field a much better team this year and even when injuries came up and destroyed the D, he made one home run move in getting Douglas as well as admirably plugging holes at DT etc to give the team a shot. 

The lack of WR talent hurt down the stretch, but, again BUT, Diggs fell off a cliff in terms of impactful production, so the team was left without a true #1 out there, Davis never found it this year so your below average #2 underperformed even to his standards, yet Shakir emerged as something pretty good, Harty had moments, Sherfield… well after yesterday.. that looks bad, but he was a decent pick up and adding Kincaid to the mix, there should have been enough to win, especially with a viable run game.  The OL, the run game, adding Kincaid all were massive improvements. 

I have to give credit where credit is due, I think Beane did a good job putting this roster together and mitigating disaster this season.   Injuries happen, but to go into a playoff game against Kelce without two starting LBs, and your third being banged up at best, that’s tough.  I blame McClappy getting Williams in there more, the kid has the tools and made some impact plays when he was in.  Klein really doesn’t belong on the field as a cover guy, he did as well as one could hope, but I can’t fathom the logic of him over Williams other than “he knows the system and Williams is a rookie” which is really inexcusable.

46 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I have been as hard as anyone on Beane as a GM, I’ll say this.  I still think there is entirely too much money invested in the DL and the Miller move was asking for problems (specifically after they’re-structure), BUT BUT, he did field a much better team this year and even when injuries came up and destroyed the D, he made one home run move in getting Douglas as well as admirably plugging holes at DT etc to give the team a shot. 

The lack of WR talent hurt down the stretch, but, again BUT, Diggs fell off a cliff in terms of impactful production, so the team was left without a true #1 out there, Davis never found it this year so your below average #2 underperformed even to his standards, yet Shakir emerged as something pretty good, Harty had moments, Sherfield… well after yesterday.. that looks bad, but he was a decent pick up and adding Kincaid to the mix, there should have been enough to win, especially with a viable run game.  The OL, the run game, adding Kincaid all were massive improvements. 

I have to give credit where credit is due, I think Beane did a good job putting this roster together and mitigating disaster this season.   Injuries happen, but to go into a playoff game against Kelce without two starting LBs, and your third being banged up at best, that’s tough.  I blame McClappy getting Williams in there more, the kid has the tools and made some impact plays when he was in.  Klein really doesn’t belong on the field as a cover guy, he did as well as one could hope, but I can’t fathom the logic of him over Williams other than “he knows the system and Williams is a rookie” which is really inexcusable.

In all this it's clear that Beane and McD's success plan isn't working and needs tweaks.  Since they got here they've been preaching this rotational D-line and they tired out in the fourth quarter last night.  Again.  I fail to see any advantage it's gained us over other teams' D-lines.  Disadvantages are cost and perhaps a dilution of responsibility and urgency to step up and make plays.  We need playmakers on the field feeling the urgency to make a play.  

It's incomprehensible how AJK gets the start over Dorian Williams talent-wise.  I knew it was trouble from the first moment.  And our defense struggled to get properly set by the snap of the ball anyways.  That's on McD for not getting his talent on the field and developing it.   My wording is purposeful to one change I feel coach needs to make.

Our FO has done well enough to get to the playoffs but they need to grow and change to truly win the superbowl.  We are wasting Josh Allen otherwise.

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

In all this it's clear that Beane and McD's success plan isn't working and needs tweaks.  Since they got here they've been preaching this rotational D-line and they tired out in the fourth quarter last night.  Again.  I fail to see any advantage it's gained us over other teams' D-lines.  Disadvantages are cost and perhaps a dilution of responsibility and urgency to step up and make plays.  We need playmakers on the field feeling the urgency to make a play.  

It's incomprehensible how AJK gets the start over Dorian Williams talent-wise.  I knew it was trouble from the first moment.  And our defense struggled to get properly set by the snap of the ball anyways.  That's on McD for not getting his talent on the field and developing it.   My wording is purposeful to one change I feel coach needs to make.

Our FO has done well enough to get to the playoffs but they need to grow and change to truly win the superbowl.  We are wasting Josh Allen otherwise.

I could not agree more.  However, nothing is going to change and JA17 will go down as the most prolific QB to never win a championship.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:55 PM, Rich Stadium Original said:

It was obvious a number of years ago Mahommes and the Chiefs were going to be the team to beat in the AFC for years to come.

Beane set out to mold his team as the one that could beat the big Boogeyman Mahommes through an effective pass rush.

Yes Beane has picked up some great position players along the way, but its obvious with Rousseau, Epenesa, Basham (now departed), Von (I'm back to 100%) Miller, Floyd (and others) where he placed his personnel concentration. 

Now he has a home game, with all these guys relatively healthy going up against some fairly average offensive tackles. 

Yes, the secondary and linebacking corps is fairly beat up...but if Beane did his due diligence,  it shouldn't make a difference if they can dominate.

We will know by midnight on Sunday.

He failed. 

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He failed. 

Hard to argue with that. 

I have been a major critic of Beane, I feel he did a good job filling the roster with the talent to get the job done this year.  Unfortunately, he doesn’t have say over the coaching decisions and we see the end product continues to be less than expectations time and time again. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.