Nick Saban Retiring.

Draconator

Let the dark ages begin, and the gnashing of the teeth.

Saban is the GOAT and exceeded my expectations by a long shot.

I can still remember when they hired him to that 8 year contract(s).

I was stoked.

I figured he would get 1 NC during his 8 years.

But 3? At that point, I was like sit back and enjoy it. Everything else is just gravy at that point,

• Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Heck of a run, in the end I think NIL soured him.

He made alot of comments about it and the transfer portal being a negative for the sport.

Not just NIL. The transfer portal really changed recruiting for top schools. They can no longer stash guys for years like Saban, Urban, and Dabo used to do all the time.

23 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

Not just NIL. The transfer portal really changed recruiting for top schools. They can no longer stash guys for years like Saban, Urban, and Dabo used to do all the time.

Agreed, I like that the players have some control. Probably needs a few tweaks but I like it.

The OSU, UM, UGA and Bama types are going to have an adjustment period 

4 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Heck of a run, in the end I think NIL soured him.

He made alot of comments about it and the transfer portal being a negative for the sport.

Yeah, it left Colleges like Alabama, Ohio State, etc., unable to stash away talent from other schools. 

I said it in the Coaching thread on the main board.... but as three dominoes to fall within 24 hours..... Carroll, Saban, Belichick that is arguably the three most dominant coaches of this century - Pete college and NFL, Nick college and Bill NFL. 

End of an era in football coaching.

16 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Also being gifted a slot in the final four every year is different than being gifted a slot in the final 12.  

Its kind of sad that these careers are ending.  Pages are turning.

Anyways, things for Alabama are getting and going to get a lot more difficult.  Already mentioned NIL and transfer portal.  The super-conferences and a lot more competition, even the expanded playoff will make it tough.  I think we are going to have much more parity in the top 10-20 teams year to year like never before.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.