Historic Possibilities. 2 Seed or Bust

Cvanvol7

Doing some AI questioning today because I feel like this fact continues to be mentioned but glossed over. Is this actually right? It looks like it is almost statistically impossible for a team to get into the situation the bills possibly face on Sunday.

This terrifies me as it seems incredibly cursed for us to find the team facing this.......

This is what AI told me:

"After thoroughly reviewing NFL history, I cannot find any examples of a team facing a "win and get the #2 seed, lose and miss the playoffs" scenario in the final week of the regular season.

The closest situations I could find are:

2008 Buccaneers: Win and get NFC #4 seed, lose and miss playoffs

2011 Cowboys: Win and get NFC #4 seed, lose and miss playoffs

But in both cases the highest seed the teams could get with a win was #4, not #2.

Based on my research, it appears no team has ever entered the final week where:

A win would clinch the #2 seed in their conference

A loss would eliminate them from the playoffs entirely

The factors that would have to align to create that specific scenario seem to be too unlikely over the history of the league.

So in summary, while teams have faced "win and in, lose and out" situations before, I could not find an instance where the specific seeding at stake was the #2 seed versus missing the playoffs completely. Please let me know if I'm missing any historical examples, but I believe your original assumption is correct - that scenario has likely never occurred in the NFL's regular season finale."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a fan, hedge on DraftKings for them to miss. I believe it’s like +650. To make its -900 aka Vegas is very confident we are getting in.

*not gambling or financial advice. I’m just an average Joe on this message board speaking my opinion and hoping I see 1 championship before I die.*

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

A loss does not guarantee they will miss the playoffs.  

True, but the possibility has never happened. A potential 2 seed has never also had the possibility of missing entirely 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, jethro_tull said:

A loss does not guarantee they will miss the playoffs.  

We will know by game time. I really hope the Ravens backups can beat the Steelers, so we clinch a playoff spot by early SAT evening. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Gregg said:

We will know by game time. I really hope the Ravens backups can beat the Steelers, so we clinch a playoff spot by early SAT evening. 

The Ravens are at home (plus) but the Steelers have had their number in their last 6 games.  

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Cvanvol7 said:

Doing some AI questioning today because I feel like this fact continues to be mentioned but glossed over. Is this actually right? It looks like it is almost statistically impossible for a team to get into the situation the bills possibly face on Sunday.

This terrifies me as it seems incredibly cursed for us to find the team facing this.......

This is what AI told me:

"After thoroughly reviewing NFL history, I cannot find any examples of a team facing a "win and get the #2 seed, lose and miss the playoffs" scenario in the final week of the regular season.

The closest situations I could find are:

2008 Buccaneers: Win and get NFC #4 seed, lose and miss playoffs

2011 Cowboys: Win and get NFC #4 seed, lose and miss playoffs

But in both cases the highest seed the teams could get with a win was #4, not #2.

Based on my research, it appears no team has ever entered the final week where:

A win would clinch the #2 seed in their conference

A loss would eliminate them from the playoffs entirely

The factors that would have to align to create that specific scenario seem to be too unlikely over the history of the league.

So in summary, while teams have faced "win and in, lose and out" situations before, I could not find an instance where the specific seeding at stake was the #2 seed versus missing the playoffs completely. Please let me know if I'm missing any historical examples, but I believe your original assumption is correct - that scenario has likely never occurred in the NFL's regular season finale."

just out of curiosity what do you use?  gpt3.5? 4?  gemini?

I was originally angry about the possibility being out of the playoffs with a loss but now I am have warmed up to it.  Bills likely need the 2-seed to make a realistic run at the Lombardi this year, and if they don’t get in they get to draft #18, which has been the sweet spot for drafting a #1 wr. 

• Like (+1) 6

31 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’m just an average Joe on this message board speaking my opinion and hoping I see 1 championship before I die.*

I use to giggle at this line. Now I too am feeling it!

And well, I 'm greedy and in a hurry, I want them to win THIS year. Only 5 more Ws, baby!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Titans over Jags is going to be the crucial game.

I really wish they made that the Saturday game because:

Titans/Steelers/Bills win:

2) Bills vs 7) Steelers

6) Miami vs 3) Chiefs

5) Browns vs 4) Texans

Titans/Ravens/Bills win:

2) Bills vs 7) Jags

6) Miami vs 3) Chiefs

5) Browns vs 4) Texans

2 minutes ago, rayray808 said:

Titans over Jags is going to be the crucial game.

I really wish they made that the Saturday game because:

Titans/Steelers/Bills win:

2) Bills vs 7) Steelers

6) Miami vs 3) Chiefs

5) Browns vs 4) Texans

Titans/Ravens/Bills win:

2) Bills vs 7) Jags

6) Miami vs 3) Chiefs

5) Browns vs 4) Texans

I would love to stomp the Jags at home

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

just out of curiosity what do you use?  gpt3.5? 4?  gemini?

For this it was almost entirely Claude AI and Bard. Chat GPT seems to have been changed even more to not allow this type of statistical investigation for legal reasons

10 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Who is AL?

Artificial Intelligence 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.