NFL Research: Josh Allen has eight rushing touchdowns over his past five games (Weeks 12-17)

johnk

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Imagine being Josh you have 42 total touchdowns you’ve literally set a few records this year that no QB has and somehow people are wondering what’s wrong with you? 
Dude makes this franchise so much fun I may just quit watching the Bills when he retires. 

Agree 100%.  Sure Allen did not play well today but what bugs me is when people take the occasional Allen off game and claim that it's representative of a much bigger problem. 

And for the record while Allen did not play well he did not come close to "sucking" today. He made the plays in the 2nd half when they were needed and the Bills won to raise their record to 10 - 6. It's like these hyper critics don't watch any other NFL games. If they did they would see that other elite QB's struggled at times this weekend:

*  Mahomes could only manufacture 1 TD, lost a bad strip sack fumble that led to a Bengal's TD and overthrew a wide open WR on a deep pass.  But like Allen Mahomes made the plays needed and got a crucial win.

*  Last night Goff struggled throwing 2 bad INT's and missing multiple open receivers.  But at the end he had the Lions on the cusp of winning the game.

*  Matt Stafford, QBing the hottest team in the NFC against a bad Giants team threw 2 INT's and only 1 TD. The Rams were lucky to win that game.

*  Tua threw 2 INT's today and we all saw what that score ended up being.

Every week great QB's have rough games.  And most of the time these great QB's overcome their poor game to have moments of excellence to steal the win.  Allen had one of those today. And if people remember Kelly had a lot of games like that over the Bills SB's run.

I'm just amazed how quickly people forget what bad QBing really looks like.  During the playoff drought we saw a lot of QB's that truly sucked. Allen has QBed the Bills to 5 straight 10 or more win seasons in a row.  And if the Bills can beat Miami it will also be 5 straight playoff appearances and 4 straight division titles.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Agree 100%.  Sure Allen did not play well today but what bugs me is when people take the occasional Allen off game and claim that it's representative of a much bigger problem. 

And for the record while Allen did not play well he did not come close to "sucking" today. He made the plays in the 2nd half when they were needed and the Bills won to raise their record to 10 - 6. It's like these hyper critics don't watch any other NFL games. If they did they would see that other elite QB's struggled at times this weekend:

*  Mahomes could only manufacture 1 TD, lost a bad strip sack fumble that led to a Bengal's TD and overthrew a wide open WR on a deep pass.  But like Allen Mahomes made the plays needed and got a crucial win.

*  Last night Goff struggled throwing 2 bad INT's and missing multiple open receivers.  But at the end he had the Lions on the cusp of winning the game.

*  Matt Stafford, QBing the hottest team in the NFC against a bad Giants team threw 2 INT's and only 1 TD. The Rams were lucky to win that game.

*  Tua threw 2 INT's today and we all saw what that score ended up being.

Every week great QB's have rough games.  And most of the time these great QB's overcome their poor game to have moments of excellence to steal the win.  Allen had one of those today. And if people remember Kelly had a lot of games like that over the Bills SB's run.

I'm just amazed how quickly people forget what bad QBing really looks like.  During the playoff drought we saw a lot of QB's that truly sucked. Allen has QBed the Bills to 5 straight 10 or more win seasons in a row.  And if the Bills can beat Miami it will also be 5 straight playoff appearances and 4 straight division titles.

Agreed Cincy it comes with playing the position but man last week he had 5 incompletions against the Chargers and people where like he’s missing guys what’s wrong? Dude just makes this franchise so much fun. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Imagine being Josh you have 42 total touchdowns you’ve literally set a few records this year that no QB has and somehow people are wondering what’s wrong with you? 
Dude makes this franchise so much fun I may just quit watching the Bills when he retires. 

Might as well.  I know I am.  Chances are we won’t see another one of his caliber for a few decades and I ain’t got that much time left.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Josh doesn't know why people are wondering what's wrong with him then he has little to no chance of winning a ring. Because he has major issues at the moment. Thankfully, I think he realises it.

• Eyeroll 1

56 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

If Josh doesn't know why people are wondering what's wrong with him then he has little to no chance of winning a ring. Because he has major issues at the moment. Thankfully, I think he realises it.

Disagree his team fails him way more than he has ever failed his team. Like I said for those of us that went through the EJ Manuel and Jeff Tuel and Trent Edwards years he makes this franchise a joy to watch when he calls it quits I’m probably done with the bills and watch my wife’s team the cowboys instead at least I know the refs are in their back pocket.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

imagine possibly being the greatest in the world at what you do and some schlub talking about your major issues.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Disagree his team fails him way more than he has ever failed his team. Like I said for those of us that went through the EJ Manuel and Jeff Tuel and Trent Edwards years he makes this franchise a joy to watch when he calls it quits I’m probably done with the bills and watch my wife’s team the cowboys instead at least I know the refs are in their back pocket.  

Before this season I would agree, for the most part, but this year he's been more responsible for struggles than before - especially in the divisional games against the Pats plus the defeat to the Jets.

Just now, NoSaint said:

imagine possibly being the greatest in the world at what you do and some schlub talking about your major issues.

That's the annoying thing. Physically he is the greatest in the world. I'd argue that against anyone trying to say otherwise. But there are too many missed reads and too many bad throws to say that side of the game matches up. Would I change him? No. Has he has issues this seaso? Definitely.

In his defence, so has Mahomes and interestingly both have come about after a drop off in production from their number one receiver.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Before this season I would agree, for the most part, but this year he's been more responsible for struggles than before - especially in the divisional games against the Pats plus the defeat to the Jets.

That's the annoying thing. Physically he is the greatest in the world. I'd argue that against anyone trying to say otherwise. But there are too many missed reads and too many bad throws to say that side of the game matches up. Would I change him? No. Has he has issues this seaso? Definitely.

In his defence, so has Mahomes and interestingly both have come about after a drop off in production from their number one receiver.

Just remember if they miss the playoffs it wasn’t him that left 12 men on the field against Denver 

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Just remember if they miss the playoffs it wasn’t him that left 12 men on the field against Denver 

True. Though it could be argued the offense on that day allowed the Broncos to hang around. As they did in Foxborough, albeit the defense also made Mac Jones look like Dan Marino. Then there's the Jets in week one...

I'd say the Bills beat themselves in every game they've lost this year excluding the Jags (happy to accept them having one further week in London to adjust was key) and the Eagles (that field goal was ridiculous).

19 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

True. Though it could be argued the offense on that day allowed the Broncos to hang around. As they did in Foxborough, albeit the defense also made Mac Jones look like Dan Marino. Then there's the Jets in week one...

I'd say the Bills beat themselves in every game they've lost this year excluding the Jags (happy to accept them having one further week in London to adjust was key) and the Eagles (that field goal was ridiculous).

That we will agree on the losses this year have been a little bit of everything although the special teams issues yesterday made that game closer then it was again 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

That we will agree on the losses this year have been a little bit of everything although the special teams issues yesterday made that game closer then it was again 

I'm pretty sure the Bills would have beaten the Jags at OP. Annoying to think they may lose out on the play offs based on Goodell's experiment.

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Allen realizes that he could play better after games like yesterday - he clearly says so. But that is very different from saying Allen has something "wrong" with him.  IMO what you're seeing is the normal variability that accompanies the play of even elite level QB's in the NFL.  And this variability is exacerbated by the Bills not having a boatload of high end play makers on offense.

• Disagree 1

The challenge with being a fan of Allen, I think, is three-fold.

First, he has such a likeable story and personality.

Second, he is so gifted. He makes a few plays that even make HOF QB's and 30-year football media guys blush and gush over. He is the 1% of the 1% as a dual-threat, arm strength, ability on the run, and pure talent.

BUT, he can not throw a 5 year screen, a consistent deep pass, and his range of performance from week-to-week causes heart palpitations.

Third, his unusual skill-set leads to a lot of "firsts" that are impressive. The total touchdowns, rushing touchdowns, and his ability to account for almost all of their offense every single week are samples of the greatness.

These three factors make Allen so entertaining and frustrating. most talented and entertaining.

Some of his games are all-time performances. The great, "What if" is will Allen ever reach his peak, consistently?

"Peak Allen" is 3 games like the the 13 second game playoff game, half of the interceptions, and 10 more passing TD's.

Peak Allen is close to Drew Brees passing stats along with his top 5 of all-time QB rushing stats.

Edited by Wizard

3 hours ago, Wizard said:

The challenge with being a fan of Allen, I think, is three-fold.

First, he has such a likeable story and personality.

Second, he is so gifted. He makes a few plays that even make HOF QB's and 30-year football media guys blush and gush over. He is the 1% of the 1% as a dual-threat, arm strength, ability on the run, and pure talent.

BUT, he can not throw a 5 year screen, a consistent deep pass, and his range of performance from week-to-week causes heart palpitations.

Third, his unusual skill-set leads to a lot of "firsts" that are impressive. The total touchdowns, rushing touchdowns, and his ability to account for almost all of their offense every single week are samples of the greatness.

These three factors lead to the Allen is entertaining and talented, but will he ever reach his peak, consistently.

The 13 second game a few times a year coupled with about half the total interceptions of this season is "Peak Allen."

It’s the team around him till this year he was the running game. If he were with another team with say an Andy Reid or Kyle Shannahan calling the plays he’d already have a Super Bowl it’s the Bills front office which has always been a defense first bunch.  

5 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Allen realizes that he could play better after games like yesterday - he clearly says so. But that is very different from saying Allen has something "wrong" with him.  IMO what you're seeing is the normal variability that accompanies the play of even elite level QB's in the NFL.  And this variability is exacerbated by the Bills not having a boatload of high end play makers on offense.

You ain’t kidding when I just rewatched the game he missed on maybe 6 or 7 of his throws and he had drops on the other half. I thought like all these people did at first that he just had a rough game and he had a few throws he flat out missed but the where others where his receivers just flat out sucked. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.