LA doesn't care about the Chargers

PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

?

I cannot imagine any NFL player ever having any desire to live in an Islamic state.

That's just the players. Their wives would revolt.

Very difficult to get people with much more muted lifestyles, ie State Dept and military families to go there.

I take it you have ZERO clue what the Saudis are doing to the PGA by launching their own competing league right here in the States.   They could buy the XFL or CFL or both, with their pocket change and start offering fully guaranteed money to mega stars. It’s extremely doable and as much as the NFL continues to dilute their product/piss off their core fans, I won’t be shocked when they do it.  

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Good lord, here comes the NFL's version of the range war that Toronto and Buffalo waged when there was talk of Hamilton seeking an NHL franchise. 😁

Speaking of that….did anyone see the recent three part docu-drama on the demise of Blackberry? The CFO who was later bankrupt was the guy who tried to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins and move them to Hamilton. Crazy

On 12/29/2023 at 11:40 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't know the numbers on other large markets but is 700,000 a good number with a city the size of LA?

What does NYC, Chicago, Boston and Dallas do for household viewership?

Yes, 700k in LA on a Saturday night is a very good number. Also true is that the Bills vs Rams (or Raiders) would have yielded higher ratings.

• Like (+1) 1

The league shoulda moved the Chargers to Las Vegas and moved the Raiders back to LA. Vegas will draw out-of-towners to support the visitors, and the Raiders already had an LA fan base. Now they've got 2 listless fanbases in LA and a sh!tshow in Vegas that won't generate a local fanbase until ownership stops screwing the pooch with GMs an HCs.

57 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

Yes, 700k in LA on a Saturday night is a very good number. Also true is that the Bills vs Rams (or Raiders) would have yielded higher ratings.

700k in LA is not a good number for advertisers who pay the NFL premium rates. In fact, it sucks. When advertisers see a 12% share of viewers, it’s a loss because that means 88% of the viewing market has their eyes on something else. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I take it you have ZERO clue what the Saudis are doing to the PGA by launching their own competing league right here in the States.   They could buy the XFL or CFL or both, with their pocket change and start offering fully guaranteed money to mega stars. It’s extremely doable and as much as the NFL continues to dilute their product/piss off their core fans, I won’t be shocked when they do it.  

The Saudis can buy any non NFL football league they want or start a brand new one and they can pay mega bucks for star players to play in their new league. And it will fail. Miserably. As has every other such experiment to challenge the NFL stranglehold on popularity. 

The NFL is king and PGA, LIV, or any other pro golf offering isn’t even a blip on the competition radar so I don’t think that’s the best example to illustrate whatever Saudi Arabia’s burgeoning influence in pro sports may be. 

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The Saudis can buy any non NFL football league they want or start a brand new one and they can pay mega bucks for star players to play in their new league. And it will fail. Miserably. As has every other such experiment to challenge the NFL stranglehold on popularity. 

The NFL is king and PGA, LIV, or any other pro golf offering isn’t even a blip on the competition radar so I don’t think that’s the best example to illustrate whatever Saudi Arabia’s burgeoning influence in pro sports may be. 

The only reason the NFL is king is the money behind it, the PIF makes the entirety of the NFL look like nothing.  If they want to, they can buy the talent and the infrastructure to compete.   The NFL has lost touch with its fans, it wouldn’t be as hard as they want to believe to at very least force a merger like the old NFL AFL scenario.  They could spin it as the opportunity to grow the game globally and the only ones that would lose would be the fans, yet again.

51 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The only reason the NFL is king is the money behind it, the PIF makes the entirety of the NFL look like nothing.  If they want to, they can buy the talent and the infrastructure to compete.   The NFL has lost touch with its fans, it wouldn’t be as hard as they want to believe to at very least force a merger like the old NFL AFL scenario.  They could spin it as the opportunity to grow the game globally and the only ones that would lose would be the fans, yet again.

So the scenario is now the NFL expanding vs the Saudis forming a competing league like they did with LIV golf? That’s at least plausible but the idea of a separate league to compete with the NFL is a pipe dream. 

On 12/29/2023 at 7:32 PM, klos63 said:

For all those areas that you don't think care enough, the league is printing money. I think your generalizations are probably off a bit.

The league stroked a cheque for 600 million to the City of St. Louis rather than disclose their finances. Apparently Kroenke got stuck with much of the legal bill and was going to sue the rest of the owners to get them to kick in. That story has gone silent. 

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

So the scenario is now the NFL expanding vs the Saudis forming a competing league like they did with LIV golf? That’s at least plausible but the idea of a separate league to compete with the NFL is a pipe dream. 

The most likely scenario for the Saudis to get involved with the football is for them to simply buy a NFL team like they have done with Newcastle United in the Premier League (or how other Arab money own PSG and Manchester City).   The Chargers would actually be a good target for purchase.

The only issue is that they will have a more difficult time winning due to the NFL salary cap versus the easily skirted UEFA Financial Fair Play rules.  The NFL also has rules against owning multiple teams so they would need to do it with front companies/institutions to own more than one team to increase influence.

I don't think they would want a team in Saudi Arabia, but they certainly have had no issues getting soccer players to do their retirement tour in Riyadh instead of the US (with Messi being the notable exception).

Edited by Billy Claude

42 minutes ago, stuvian said:

The league stroked a cheque for 600 million to the City of St. Louis rather than disclose their finances. Apparently Kroenke got stuck with much of the legal bill and was going to sue the rest of the owners to get them to kick in. That story has gone silent. 

They keep misspelling 'Kroenke' on the legal documents. 😁

20 hours ago, K-9 said:

700k in LA is not a good number for advertisers who pay the NFL premium rates. In fact, it sucks. When advertisers see a 12% share of viewers, it’s a loss because that means 88% of the viewing market has their eyes on something else. 

I work in this field and no - it's not a 12% share. Shares are percentage of households using television at the time. 100% of LA households aren't watching TV on the lowest rated night of the week. Take a look at these LA ratings for October: https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Blog/All-Eyes-on-NFL-Football-in-Los-Angeles-CA KNBC was VERY happy with these numbers.

57 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

I work in this field and no - it's not a 12% share. Shares are percentage of households using television at the time. 100% of LA households aren't watching TV on the lowest rated night of the week. Take a look at these LA ratings for October: https://www.comscore.com/Insights/Blog/All-Eyes-on-NFL-Football-in-Los-Angeles-CA KNBC was VERY happy with these numbers.

It was reported up thread that the 700k viewers who tuned in for the Bills/Chargers game represented 12% of the viewers in the LA market, so pardon me if the word “share” was misused.

You work in the TV advertising field and you’re telling me the NFL advertisers were OK with attracting 700k viewers in a TV market the size of LA? Well, if they’re happy then the advertisers who spent half the money for a commercial spot on different networks that attracted more viewers must be ecstatic. 

While I appreciate the link, I’m not sure how that information from October is relevant to the Bills/Chargers audience last Saturday night. 

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

It was reported up thread that the 700k viewers who tuned in for the Bills/Chargers game represented 12% of the viewers in the LA market, so pardon me if the word “share” was misused.

You work in the TV advertising field and you’re telling me the NFL advertisers were OK with attracting 700k viewers in a TV market the size of LA? Well, if they’re happy then the advertisers who spent half the money for a commercial spot on different networks that attracted more viewers must be ecstatic. 

While I appreciate the link, I’m not sure how that information from October is relevant to the Bills/Chargers audience last Saturday night. 

At the link - granted from week 4 - here was how the Chargers vs the Raiders, who have a big LA following  - rated:

CBS NFL Single

KCBS (CBS)

U

So yes, advertisers were more than happy with 700,000+ viewers on a SATURDAY for the "home" team already eliminated from the playoffs. To be generous, if KNBC promised 500k viewers, they got 200k for free. The 11 is a household rating, not a share. Does it seem bad compared to Buffalo? Sure, but Buffalo is the #1 NFL market, and in general they watch a ton more TV than the rest of the US.

Moving the team from San Diego with all the history of that franchise and that city was one of the most despicable moves ever. Only 2nd to the Raiders move to Vegas. Spanos screwed over the city and the fan base. As dysfunctional as things got with Ralph and the drought and the Bills in Toronto garbage, at least he didnt up and move like that dbag did!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The real problem is with the Chargers organization, not the market they’re in. The Chargers were deeply loved by a tight little fanbase in San Diego, while a fair portion of the whale’s vaginians couldn’t care less about the Bolts. That very low-key, almost minor league like connection that the city has towards the Chargers will never be reproduced elsewhere. It wasn’t even good enough to continue on in SD. 

The Raiders are still LA’s favorite football team, then the Rams, followed by the Cowboys. The Raiders are badass in Vegas, which is a win for the league. If the Chargers went to Las Vegas, nobody there would care AT ALL. I actually underestimated the resources that the league and LA handed over to the Rams. They are very much the glitz and glamour of the NFL.

Oh, what the League definitely did not want to see — true Raiders fans in their fancy new Mecca stadium. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.