OT: Just moved in with my girlfriend

Im a 22 year old guy and i just moved in with my girlfriend (who by the way is just as big a bills fan as I am). We have an apartment together for the first time and I was wondering from the brilliant people on this board, how to keep this good thing going as long as possible.

(BTW I would appreciate all the pessamists with your dissenting views of marriage and living with the opposite sex to not be a buzz kill and sit this post out)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a 22 year old guy and i just moved in with my girlfriend (who by the way is just as big a bills fan as I am).  We have an apartment together for the first time and I was wondering from the brilliant people on this board, how to keep this good thing going as long as possible.

(BTW I would appreciate all the pessamists with your dissenting views of marriage and living with the opposite sex to not be a buzz kill and sit this post out)

354787[/snapback]

Sit down with her and read #89 and Alaska Darin's posts in this thread. That should get you off to a pretty good start.

:( This reply is serious (you deserve at least one). Do NOT merge your finances or buy high ticket items together. Keep your assets separate, should it not work out. You can merge them later if you opt for a legally binding arrangement (marriage). Good luck!

Get rid of your webcam and password protect your computer.  Throw out your condoms, your sex life is now over.  Create a 2nd bank account and deposit some "secret" money in it every pay check.  Don't forgot to leave the toilet seat up.  Good luck!

354805[/snapback]

You've got some experence on this it seems. :(;)

To the young man: Damn, man. Do not move in with this girL, I repeat, Do not move in with this girl. You're to young. Sorry to say that, but you are. You're to young, dont do it.

Im a 22 year old guy and i just moved in with my girlfriend (who by the way is just as big a bills fan as I am).  We have an apartment together for the first time and I was wondering from the brilliant people on this board, how to keep this good thing going as long as possible.

354787[/snapback]

Red wine,lots of flowers,communicate about everything,and use your tongue. :(

We lived together 2 years, best advice I can give is be yourself. The cutesy dating part is over, but don't forget to do more than just hang out around the apartment. Continue to take her out, go to movies, do the normal stuff. The advice abou big ticket items and seperate bank accounts is still valid. After 2 years we figured we were OK, so in November it will be 23 years married.

I moved in with my GF who is now my wife when I was 20 y/o, five years later we just made our 3 year wedding anniversary in April.

I learned quickly that alot of things change after you move in. You'll have your personal possessions like TV's, computers, ect., but for the most part, everything is "ours" now. Also personal space is a must. If you two think moving in with each other means you'll get closer, you're wrong, you never appreciate freedom until you lost it. So give each other some free time to do hobbies, ect.

354787[/snapback]

Separate bathrooms. Seriously. Having to share a bathroom is a killer. Get separate ones, and each is responsible for cleaning their own.

In the case of me and my wife, we have separate bathrooms, bedrooms, and living rooms (basically, we share cats and a kitchen. And a maid.). Takes a lot of strain out of the relationship (particularly the maid) and makes our time together much more enjoyable. My sister and her fiancee have separate continents - according to them, that's even better than our arrangement... :( Separate bathrooms, though, are the real key to cohabitation happiness...