Hail Marys

Yockopondowsk

How difficult should it be to scheme a Hail Mary pass, even just a little?  We are so used to seeing a group of 4 receivers or so, and defenders the same, engage in NBA-like jump-ball mayhem with a low % of success. How hard would it be to pull everyone to one side of the end zone, and at a preset time have a guy (Diggs or Shakir) sneak out the back door and haul butt to the other side of the end zone. With Allen’s arm?  Russell Wilson was doing this a bit with Seattle a couple of years ago.  He threw to a preset spot.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Incorporate a trailer receiver like we saw with the Kelce throw back play? 

I don’t think a throw back would work, all the defenders would still be deep enough to see it. 

Who ever the best jumpers are need to be in the pile to knock it to Kincaid for the rebound. 

Send Spencer Brown as an eligible receiver down there for the jump ball. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

9 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I don’t think a throw back would work, all the defenders would still be deep enough to see it. 

Who ever the best jumpers are need to be in the pile to knock it to Kincaid for the rebound. 

Exactly.

A) Highly unlikely the player is uncovered. The offense will have (at most) 5 players in the EZ while the defense will have 8 (plus or minus one).

B) Even in the unlikely case that a player does break open, the defense will have time to get there while the ball is in the air. 

Eventually some OC will figure it out and it will change the game like the "tush push".

You can imagine it will involve some type of mis-direction, like OP mentioned...   load up one side of the end-zone and have 1 or 2 WR sprint to the other side as the ball is being thrown..... maybe go with 2 QBs on the field, 1 split out wide for a lateral to alter the throwing angle.     

Or intentionally throw it short of the end-zone to draw a PI as receivers are fighting through DBs to get back to the ball.

I still don't understand why more QBs don't intentionally throw go routes short to draw PI.   It's impossible for the DB, with his back turned, to stop on a dime and avoid contact while running full speed downfield.... like the Taron Johnson PI against Denver.   

IMO there needs to be a rule protecting the DB where it's not PI if the ball is thrown short and his momentum carries him into the WR. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, DasNootz said:

Given the distance of the throw, defenders would likely have enough time to react regardless.  Even Josh has to get air under a throw of that distance.

Josh can throw a 50y frozen rope better than any QB in the league.      

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Agreed. You’d have to disguise it somehow, like loop someone back as soon as everyone started to go after the ball carrier. Still. unlikely. Probably would be better off faking the Hail Mary and letting Allen take it up the sideline and then throw it back to a player coming back out of the EZ. Still low percentage, but maybe better than a HM. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

We executed an excellent Hail Mary on Sunday…it probably would have succeeded if Willie Gay had not made a great play to deflect the deflection. Shakir was in perfect position to make the catch.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

We executed an excellent Hail Mary on Sunday…it probably would have succeeded if Willie Gay had not made a great play to deflect the deflection. Shakir was in perfect position to make the catch.

I was just about to say that.  Josh threw a perfect pass into the scrum and Shakir was right there. Unfortunately KC had players right where they needed to be and the ball was knocked down.  It was a good rep for both sides 

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Josh can throw a 50y frozen rope better than any QB in the league.      

It still takes time for the ball to travel 50+ yards and there's a limited area that the defender has to be able to cover because of sidelines and endlines.  Defenders would have more than enough time to cover and turn and face the ball - this gives them the same right to the ball as the WR, which largely takes PI out of the equation.

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I was just about to say that.  Josh threw a perfect pass into the scrum and Shakir was right there. Unfortunately KC had players right where they needed to be and the ball was knocked down.  It was a good rep for both sides 

The bolded part of this is something that message board fans have a hard time admitting. For any Bills play that doesn't work, they immediately start looking for the mistake by a player or a coach. The other team never makes a good play.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Yockopondowsk said:

How difficult should it be to scheme a Hail Mary pass, even just a little?  We are so used to seeing a group of 4 receivers or so, and defenders the same, engage in NBA-like jump-ball mayhem with a low % of success. How hard would it be to pull everyone to one side of the end zone, and at a preset time have a guy (Diggs or Shakir) sneak out the back door and haul butt to the other side of the end zone. With Allen’s arm?  Russell Wilson was doing this a bit with Seattle a couple of years ago.  He threw to a preset spot.  

While I don't ever see this happening I have to admit I am a little surprised no opponent tried it on the Bills a few years back or now.

I mean the Arizona game and even that Chargers playoff game seemed to expose a weakness 

51 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

From my understanding you have your cluster of WR to ‘bat it’ back to another WR in front of the pile or behind. 

Nearly worked with Shakir. 

There is definitely some strategy that goes into it. 

Same reason godwin didn't catch that pass - he was looking for the batted ball.  

14 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

The bolded part of this is something that message board fans have a hard time admitting. For any Bills play that doesn't work, they immediately start looking for the mistake by a player or a coach. The other team never makes a good play.

Especially when we are playing a team like the Chiefs. The amount of bashing of our OLine and Diggs from that game, as if the Chiefs defense just isnt really good, is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Yockopondowsk said:

takes a WHILE for the ball to get there and if you don't fool them you have no play.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.