The Golf Ball Rollback is Stupid

todd

The USGA is out of touch with amateur golfers, and don't give a poop about making the game more fun. They are more interested in applying a rule to the world because .02% of golfers can drive is 400 yards. Screw them. That is all.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, todd said:

The USGA is out of touch with amateur golfers, and don't give a poop about making the game more fun. They are more interested in applying a rule to the world because .02% of golfers can drive is 400 yards. Screw them. That is all.

Not a big golfer, but now you made me curious. What is this all about? 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Not a big golfer, but now you made me curious. What is this all about? 

In I think 2025, Golf Ball manufactures have to follow a new set of guidelines to limit drive distance off the tee. USGA is saying from 20 yards shorter for PGA Tour Players, to 5 yards shorter for weekend golfers, but some pros testing out the new golf balls are saying their drives are 40 to 50 yards shorter. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

they've lightened up some rules this year.  u can ground the club in a  trap, replace and lift a plugged ball....hell, we have organized mutually agreed upon cheating rules anyway.

Are they OK yet with every ball is able to be teed up, no matter where and when it landed? 🤔

Easier on the turf, easier on the golfer.
😁

11 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Are they OK yet with every ball is able to be teed up, no matter where and when it landed? 🤔

😁

cheats in my groups:  no more than a double, 1 mulligan per 18, move the ball one clublegth in same cut but not bunkers, if everyone agrees to give a putt, it's good.  and last resort, sometime one or 2 guys say to stop scoring for them.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it will matter. It impacts every club, not just the driver. I play 2-3x per week during the summer and keep an accurate handicap. Hitting a 6 iron into the green instead of an 8 is a big deal. Can't spin it as much with a 6 iron, can't hold firm greens. All because pros hit it so darn long. 

They could have done the same thing by making the pros hit a different ball than amateurs. Or reduce the driver club head size limit for pros. Or grow the fairway an extra 1/4 inch so it doesn't roll out as much. It's stupid. I'm 55 and can't hit it as far as I used to already, but I hit it too far to use forward tees. And not only that, forward tees were designed for REALLY short hitters in most cases. I've played the gold tees from our course before. Every hole is driver-gap wedge. Now it will be driver-pitching wedge. Not fun. So stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, todd said:

I think it will matter. It impacts every club, not just the driver. I play 2-3x per week during the summer and keep an accurate handicap. Hitting a 6 iron into the green instead of an 8 is a big deal. Can't spin it as much with a 6 iron, can't hold firm greens. All because pros hit it so darn long. 

They could have done the same thing by making the pros hit a different ball than amateurs. Or reduce the driver club head size limit for pros. Or grow the fairway an extra 1/4 inch so it doesn't roll out as much. It's stupid. I'm 55 and can't hit it as far as I used to already, but I hit it too far to use forward tees. And not only that, forward tees were designed for REALLY short hitters in most cases. I've played the gold tees from our course before. Every hole is driver-gap wedge. Now it will be driver-pitching wedge. Not fun. So stupid.

that's not typical Of my experience.  my course is 6000from the golds.  slope rating 71.  also the angles are sometimes more difficult from the golds.  you score or don't score around the greens or at least I do.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

7 hours ago, todd said:

I am infuriated by this. How out of touch can they be? If they want to change it for the pros, fine. But amateurs?

I play a ton of golf and it is hard. I can’t be losing 10 yards on my shots. 

By the way, I really can’t believe that there are so many amateurs out there that are too long on their courses. I have rarely played with a scratch golfer who even plays off the back tees, let alone that one who plays off the backs and out hits the course? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, todd said:

Buy yourself 10,000 golf balls real quick, OG. :D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Simon said:

45  cents a ball.  I know a guy......btw, I've not played it but I'd bet there are very few commenting that can break 90 from the golds at a course like oak hill.. my point?  this  is not going to affect the avg player's scores much if any.  u still can't buy a game....wedges and putters and skill with them matter much more than drivers for score.  top flites still fly far but those rocks suck for score and touch.

51 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Wondering if this will affect the usage of the “foot wedge”?

"Newer 'dead' balls lead to amateurs resorting to steel toed golf shoes.  Film at 11."

Then again, the less lively balls can be the catch all excuse for hooks, slices, 'worm burners', and those especially embarrassing shots that go backwards.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

😁

My wife's golf instructor is a Senior LPGA Touring Pro. She told my wife, 100 yards out? tee it up. You're not playing a pro event and no one would care. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

My wife's golf instructor is a Senior LPGA Touring Pro. She told my wife, 100 yards out? tee it up. You're not playing a pro event and no one would care. 

Saves on one of those divots that are attributed to vandals on motorcycles, instead of the amateur with a wood. 😁

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Simon said:

I actually did that when they changed the groove rule. Loved those Titleist wedges, so I kept buying new old stock pretty cheap for years. Sold the ones I didn’t use last summer and this summer. Did pretty well! 

• Like (+1) 1

anybody want a set of TM RSi1 irons.  left handed, stiff shafts 6-AW.  $125.  Excellent condition.  just got cobra LTD irons and woods on a big sale.  I bought 1000 balls for the club range.  reimbursed thru dues....$450, nice collection of balls.  The  big hitters are actually a prob for our range.  They hit thru it and lose balls...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.