Do you wonder if the league is fixed?

The Red King

Super stars and dominant teams get officiating biases in their favor. It may be simple human nature on the refs' part. I would be shocked if the commissioner told the reffing crews en masses to let certain teams or stars do better. 

But maybe there's a more subtle mandate something like "in the NFL we need our sill and star players to shine and we don't want officiating to get in the way of high-end football play."

Too many people and players would need to be involved for outright "scripts." At that point either a player directed by conscience, greed, or attention would spill the beans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is influence in rules committee, in any calls made away from field and on any suspensions of players/owners.

Burying of evidence which would hurt NFL as well.   $nyder talked about revealing it if he was forced out but I suspect NFL threatened to counter sue him for damages on the shaving of the money from ticket sales.

It is very high level fixing like shaving of dice.

Man, I beg all fans to go watch high school football or some lower level football. Crazy stuff happens with no money involved.

There is large scale human error in sports. It’s why sports are great.

Yes, there are likely individuals that do fix or give inside information when it comes to professional sports. When money is involved someone is stealing or cheating. But large scale is literally impossible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:23 PM, Nephilim17 said:

Super stars and dominant teams get officiating biases in their favor. It may be simple human nature on the refs' part. I would be shocked if the commissioner told the reffing crews en masses to let certain teams or stars do better. 

But maybe there's a more subtle mandate something like "in the NFL we need our sill and star players to shine and we don't want officiating to get in the way of high-end football play."

Too many people and players would need to be involved for outright "scripts." At that point either a player directed by conscience, greed, or attention would spill the beans.

I dont think it's true on defense.  I think refs are biased towards offensive stars.  Guys like Garrett and Parsons get held a LOT.

10 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I dont think it's true on defense.  I think refs are biased towards offensive stars.  Guys like Garrett and Parsons get held a LOT.

Sure, that's part of what I meant: the NFL knows it's more "entertaining" when teams score so star offensive players get calls their way because (perhaps) the refs hear a subtle mandate to let the skills of the star players shine and that the NFL wants to ensure points are scored.

One more reason to invest more heavily in offensive players. How many times does an iffy PI call happen on a deep bomb that isn't caught? Yet how many times does the defense get an iffy call go their way?

Ummm…nope.  

• Eyeroll 1

If the league was fixed, Antonio Brown would have already made 6 (awful) songs about it.  

There’s literally zero way this would be kept a secret with gentlemen like him out there who would know more than any of us on the topic. 

• Agree 1

Now, i'm not saying the league is "fixed" or "rigged", but go back and watch any KC footage and tell me you don't see blatant holding on every play that doesn't get called....it's a friggin disgrace and it's sooooooo obvious. 

It's actually turned me off of the NFL right now. I'll still watch the Bills every week, but i don't watch near as much football as i used to.

they sign a non-disclosure agreement so the amount of people is limitless.

also quite a few have said what's going on, it's just not a majority.  why would a majority that makes 10,000 a play blow the whistle on making 10,000 a play.  they get paid to win or lose either way.

Edited by BillsfaninCT
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...