Who should coach this team in 2024?

Kirby Jackson

On 11/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, TSOL said:

Honestly we probably should have kept Daboll and gotten rid of McDermott 

Not sure I agree that we would be better off but I wonder (total speculation on my part here) if Dabol made a play for that job when he was getting hired by the Giants.   They had friction but that cold handshake showed there is some serious issues between those two.

Edited by Matt_In_NH

37 minutes ago, McBean said:

You make great points about Bienemy, but I don’t think Washington lets him leave the building.

I listen to DC sports talk and the offensive players just do not want Eric Bienemy to be the head coach.  If the new owner, Josh Harris,  gets player input for the hire, EB won't be the coach.  He's a throw back, and not a players coach.  It's his way or the highway.

• Shocked 1

53 minutes ago, McBean said:

You make great points about Bienemy, but I don’t think Washington lets him leave the building.

There's been talk of Washington making a play for Belichick, possibly trading draft picks to get him from NE. It does sound like something Harris would do, or at least attempt. 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah like most of the projections on this forum, this is completely unrealistic.  

First off, given his background, if Bobby Slowick is hired as HC, he isn’t going to keep the incumbent OC and will call the plays himself.  That would be like Rex Ryan keeping Jim Schwartz in 2015.  It was never going to happen.   He’d be more likely to bring a position coach from Houston/SF to be his quasi OC in title.

Second if you are Joe Brady who (unless he falls off a cliff) will likely have some success as a play caller this season.  Why would he want a situation where he wouldn’t actually be calling plays.

Third, as you stated it makes zero sense for MacDonald to take a lateral move and even if he wanted to Baltimore would not allow it

Trading draft picks for a coach is always a bad move, Buddy.  

Denver doesn’t regret it…

Hopefully we can trade Mick Jauron to the Panthers.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Here is the most likely group:

Sean McDermott as HC

Joe Brady as OC

Bobby Babich as D

McDermott wants to focus on game decisions, Brady stays given his success, Babich is promoted as a young up-and-coming play caller.

That's possible.  However, if Ron Riveira is let go from Washington, I could see McD bringing him in as Asst HC/DC if Riviera wants to stay in the NFL.

Just going to put another opinion out there.   The amount of hatred and name calling being directed at McDermott is embarrassing to see our fanbase be a part of.   We all are upset at where the team is this year, we all are upset they did not give Josh a chance with 20 seconds and burned a timeout foolishly.   However, McDermott is the guy that turned this franchise around, maybe he is not the guy to bring a SB to Buffalo but right now we should be supporting this team the rest of the season.  So while you may not like him as the coach of the future but he deserves respect from our fanbase.  Nothing he has done good or bad is with bad intentions.   And there is no coach alive that will survive the wrath of this fanbase's Monday morning coaching after a loss.  Sometimes a decision is made and you get criticized no matter what if the result is not positive.  Again, I think he deserves severe criticism for 20 seconds and 13 seconds but I also think there is an obscene amount of piling on happening.  Nothing is going to happen between now and the end of the year with McDermott so I think it is fair to judge him in the offseason once we see the final result of this year.  It is not over, this team is talented enough to win the last 5 games, we should support them in that effort.

On 11/27/2023 at 8:46 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

If the biggest problem is a defense that routinely lets us down at the end of games, it would seem Belicheck might be a great fit. However, we absolutely must keep Beane if we bring in Belicheck. Bill's track record as a GM leaves a lot to be desired. 

But the biggest negative with Belicheck is he is basically a 2–3-year rental. I can't see him coaching beyond three more years. 

I would love to see a Belicheck and Joe Brady combo and once Belicheck is ready to retire Brady will be the 37/38yrs old and ready to take the job. He can leave Belicheck son on for the defense. 

19 hours ago, BillsfaninCT said:

Bellicheck, come get your trophy without Tom Brady.  I don't care, I want to win games and he really likes Allen.

Belicheck can keep Joe Brady we know how lethal he is when he has a Brady running the offense! 😂 

• Like (+1) 1

Sean McDermott, unless a very obvious upgrade is available.

I know, faith in him has been lost, but things aren't guaranteed to get better just because he's gone. The Bills could just as easily become the next Chargers too.

Despite all that talent & having a star QB, they crap it away every year with even worse coaching than ours. 13 seconds sucks, but so does losing a game after being up 27-0 and snagging 5 turnovers by half time.

And it's not like the Chargers are as bad as it can get either. The Cardinals thought they were on the upswing with a franchise QB, and since then have only suffered setback after setback, firing their coach, dealing with injuries & a bottom feeder in the division. 

Another thing we tend to forget is that the Bills aren't the only team making moves to improve each off season. 13-3 plus all the additions... that means even BETTER results! Not quite. When everybody else is improving even more dramatically, you get left behind. 

Yes, I'm not the biggest McDermott fan right now either. But I'm also not ready to start up the coaching carousel again, especially when the Pegula's also hired Rex Ryan. 

Or maybe I'm just a chicken like McDermott & am afraid of the unknown 🤣

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Sean McDermott, unless a very obvious upgrade is available.

I know, faith in him has been lost, but things aren't guaranteed to get better just because he's gone. The Bills could just as easily become the next Chargers too.

Despite all that talent & having a star QB, they crap it away every year with even worse coaching than ours. 13 seconds sucks, but so does losing a game after being up 27-0 and snagging 5 turnovers by half time.

And it's not like the Chargers are as bad as it can get either. The Cardinals thought they were on the upswing with a franchise QB, and since then have only suffered setback after setback, firing their coach, dealing with injuries & a bottom feeder in the division. 

Another thing we tend to forget is that the Bills aren't the only team making moves to improve each off season. 13-3 plus all the additions... that means even BETTER results! Not quite. When everybody else is improving even more dramatically, you get left behind. 

Yes, I'm not the biggest McDermott fan right now either. But I'm also not ready to start up the coaching carousel again, especially when the Pegula's also hired Rex Ryan. 

Or maybe I'm just a chicken like McDermott & am afraid of the unknown 🤣

You don't think Bill would be an obvious upgrade over Sean assuming he leaves NE.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.