Bills' Situation Reminds me of Atlanta

Back2Buff

Atlanta made it to the 2016 Super Bowl and lost in heart breaking fashion.

I remember at that time Dan Quinn was getting a lot of heat, and the big situation looming over the organization, was Kyle Shanahan becoming a HC at the end of the year.

At the time, there were some out there saying in today's NFL, you have to keep the offensive coach and fire Quinn.

Atlanta obviously didn't and ended up firing Quinn a few seasons later, while Shanahan is viewed as a top coach in the league.

I'm scared of losing Daboll to keep McDermott, and what it could mean to this team.  After seeing how this team played in the playoffs, I'm pretty certain McDermott was altering playcalling mid-year with the power run nonsense they were trying to run and what McDermott was saying in press conferences.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I remember at that time Dan Quinn was getting a lot of heat, and the big situation looming over the organization, was Kyle Shanahan becoming a HC at the end of the year.

At the time, there were some out there saying in today's NFL, you have to keep the offensive coach and fire Quinn.

Atlanta obviously didn't and ended up firing Quinn a few seasons later, while Shanahan is viewed as a top coach in the league.

I'm scared of losing Daboll to keep McDermott, and what it could mean to this team.  After seeing how this team played in the playoffs, I'm pretty certain McDermott was altering playcalling mid-year with the power run nonsense they were trying to run and what McDermott was saying in press conferences.

First off...I'm pretty sure a lot of the poor weather conditions played into that more than anything else. Second, it's McD's team. He would have the right to do so. He's the boss.

Also, did you actually watch and see how productive the run game was down the stretch? If McDermott altered anything...he should have done it sooner because it worked very well. If Daboll had to be forced by McD to alter his gameplans (as you assert) then Daboll isn't as good as he gets credit for.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

If McDermott weighed in and the offensive playcalling was altered down the stretch, why is that "nonsense"? 

We went 4-1 down the stretch with an effective run game.

Also, Atlanta?  Seriously? 

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

First off, after mid year, we averaged 29 points per game lol.  

Kyle Shanahan career record as a coach is 39-42.  If McDermott had that record, you would flip your ****.  

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

We aren’t losing Daboll to keep McD. Just stop with that. Daboll is getting a HC job and has earned it. 

That said, I think McD expedited his hot seat with Sunday’s meltdown. If he wasn’t on it before, he is certainly at least on watch heading into next year. I agree with you that it concerns me that he is a mostly defensive minded coach and it does concern me on what is going to happen on the offensive side of the ball. That’s why I’m hoping we keep Dorsey around, especially after Allen all but made a mess over himself when dorsey’s name was brought up. 

I think this is a huge off-season for both McD and Beane. We need to get Allen everything he needs and spend some premium resources on weapons and protection. I’m not talking about aging veterans and third round picks. I’m talking a splash on offense and first and/or second round picks. We have spent heavily on defense and it’s time to develop them. 

IMO, If McBeane doesn’t address offense in a big way in favor of the defense, and we fail…they are gone. Sundays game was brutal and is a terrible look McD. 

I was worried after last season that the Bills could be an Atlanta/Carolina/Philadelphia.  Get their nice run, everyone thinks they are the template for the NFL, then crash hard.  

This season put me at ease a bit.  Mainly because of Josh Allen.  His play is pretty consistent and sustainable.  I also believe we have even-keeled management and coaching in place who are willing and capable of self-reflection and adapting.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

LOL. You really believe Daboll is the main reason for this team's success?

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Atlanta Falcons are a dead in the water franchise.  Quinn was awful and fired too late.

They had no real leadership playerwise either. Ryan was a solid quarterback but he wasn't really a "leader of men" like I can see Josh being. 

People in this thread are really underestimating what an OC can do for an offense. Just because you have a good QB doesn’t mean your offense will automatically just roll. Look at Ryan with and without Shanny. Look at how many coordinators Big Ben went through. Look at Rodgers and the issues he had with coaches. 

When u find an offense that works, that should trump a defensive coach. 

Not even close. 

Let's not forget... EVERY huge comeback requires the other team to screw up immensely. 

Rams/Tampa game: 27-3.

Rams fumble 4 times and missed a FG. One fumble was at the 1 yard line. Worst case scenario that's 3 points. Make the FG you missed and that's 3 more points. Even with the 3 other fumbles and other assorted *****ery all staying the same Tampa never has a chance no matter what they do. 

For Tom Brady (and it was ALL BRADY!) to tie that game when it was 27-3, these things had to ALL happen:

Akers fumbles at the 1 right before half so the lead isn't bigger

Kupp fumbles in 2nd half to set Tampa right up to score

Akers fumbles in 2nd half to set Tampa right up to score

Center snaps the ball 20 feet over Stafford's head THE PLAY AFTER Brady is strip sacked to set the Rams right up in scoring position to ice the game. 

If ANY 1 of those things does not happen the Rams win by 7+ and probably 10+

It took 4 incredibly self-destructive plays by the Rams to set Brady (AND IT WAS ALL BRADY MAGIC!) up to tie the game. Either way, they made the play at the end to seal it. 

Let's not forget: SO DID THE FALCONS!

Brady gets to within 8 late in the Super Bowl and Matty Ice hits a strike to Julio Jones who makes a huge catch all the way down to the NE 20 (ish). You're inside of 3 minutes, around the NE 20, with an already 8 point lead. 

THE GAME WAS OVER. Only (ONLY) a tremendously dumb and unlikely series of events by the Falcons botched that. 

They pass (dumb) and it's incomplete. 

HOLDING CALL on a run (ehh, refs were going to do their part so I'm not going to go crazy there)

SACK (absolutely box full of rocks STUPID to take that sack or even call a pass there). 

And they don't get to try the FG, which would have given the Falcons an 11 point lead with 2 minutes to go. 

EVERY "Magic" comeback requires the other team helping by being dumb. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.