Second blitz at end of game

Snappysnackcakes

19 minutes ago, YodaMan79 said:

Payton and Wilson were ready for it on the second attempt.  A second sack at that point was highly unlikely.  In the context of the moment it was a terrible call. 

When they lined up for the second attempt I was sure the Bills were just showing the look and we're about to back out of it. They didn't and Wilson was prepared. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

This ain’t a video game. It’s called strategy, muscle memory, tendencies, familiarity, and, most importantly- EXPERIENCE! Sean was outsmarted by a cagey vet and one of the best HC’s of our generation. If you cannot see this as, at minimum, a possibility, I can’t help you. In short, we gave them a mulligan and ate a big dic* at the end of the game. 

Other than the result you still haven’t explained why it was a bad call. If you’re going to make such a bold statement then back it up! How was McDermott outsmarted?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Other than the result you still haven’t explained why it was a bad call. If you’re going to make such a bold statement then back it up! How was McDermott outsmarted?

People think it was a bad call because it wasn't executed to perfection

If we smoked Russell Wilson nobody would be complaining

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

When they lined up for the second attempt I was sure the Bills were just showing the look and we're about to back out of it. They didn't and Wilson was prepared. 

And he threw an incompletion, guess he got lucky Taron made a bone headed play or was that all part of the wiseness or Russell?

15 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

They aren’t rhetorical. I genuinely wanted an answer, and the answer I got was basically “hindsight is 20/20”. Just because the outcome wasn’t what we wanted doesn't make it a bad call.

I'm curious if calling back to back all out blitzes normally results in giving up a big gain on the 2nd play. My guess is that it would, but i have no data to back that up 

7 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Blitz really hadn’t been working the whole game.  And even when they weren’t blitzing they were rushing too deep and Russ was resetting or scrambling.  The pressure concepts were not well schemed or executed last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

And he threw an incompletion, guess he got lucky Taron made a bone headed play or was that all part of the wiseness or Russell?

He got rid of the ball fast. Threw a moonshot that was most likely INTENDED to draw the DPI. Hellz I've seen Brady do that dozens of times. So, yes being that was the design of the play it was a good call and good execution. 

34 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm curious if calling back to back all out blitzes normally results in giving up a big gain on the 2nd play. My guess is that it would, but i have no data to back that up 

It's all specific on down and distance...

Calling two heavy blitzes on back to back second and third and short analytically isn't smart

In a clear passing situation with a long down and distance... Analytically it's not a bad call

Johnson couldn't play his technique which is on him

It was literally a prayer of a football, and Johnson panicked and couldn't locate the ball

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He got rid of the ball fast. Threw a moonshot that was most likely INTENDED to draw the DPI. Hellz I've seen Brady do that dozens of times. So, yes being that was the design of the play it was a good call and good execution. 

Even so, if the Bills don't have 12 men in the field the Broncos lose but I guess that was part of their plan? Please they got some fortunate things happen at the end to get them that win.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Blitz really hadn’t been working the whole game.  And even when they weren’t blitzing they were rushing too deep and Russ was resetting or scrambling.  The pressure concepts were not well schemed or executed last night.

We didn’t really blitz a ton in the game. It was a lot of 4 man rushes with poor lane integrity. However the way I see it you had two options. Pressure and hope to get home again or rush four and sit back and play coverage. They were out of field goal range so they had to run some type of drop back concept and they did, 3 verts. Taron got beat at the collision point playing catch man and Russ under threw the crap out of the ball because of the pressure. It happens, but that doesn’t make it a bad call.

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Couldn’t tell you, but I do know that usually when you don’t give a quarterback a lot of time to make a decision good things usually happen. This time it didn’t. That’s football.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

They picked us apart all night underneath I agree with the call. Better than watching that soft zone coverage where they pick up 8 yards a play. Taron just didn’t get his head around… Simple as that. 

but they knew on a zero blitz that a lob against man coverage in our battered secondary was a high percentage play. Single coverage on an island and they have good WRs. 

the calculus between the two plays changed drastically but we played them identically. 

even an underneath completion turns into a long kick to either end the game with a miss or get the ball back with time and timeouts to get a fg

Edited by NoSaint
  • Agree 1

This ain’t a video game. It’s called strategy, muscle memory, tendencies, familiarity, and, most importantly- EXPERIENCE! Sean was outsmarted by a cagey vet and one of the best HC’s of our generation. If you cannot see this as, at minimum, a possibility, I can’t help you. In short, we gave them a mulligan and ate a big dic* at the end ofthe game. 

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

People think it was a bad call because it wasn't executed to perfection

If we smoked Russell Wilson nobody would be complaining

Wilson no longer had to fear the turnover the same being out of fg range. It allowed him to throw a lob that he couldn’t the play prior. It’s chess vs checkers. 

a sack was bad but not the end of the world the play prior so eating the blitz instead of game planning a PI was a shift between the two presnap even.

11 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

We didn’t really blitz a ton in the game. It was a lot of 4 man rushes with poor lane integrity. However the way I see it you had two options. Pressure and hope to get home again or rush four and sit back and play coverage. They were out of field goal range so they had to run some type of drop back concept and they did, 3 verts. Taron got beat at the collision point playing catch man and Russ under threw the crap out of the ball because of the pressure. It happens, but that doesn’t make it a bad call.

Couldn’t tell you, but I do know that usually when you don’t give a quarterback a lot of time to make a decision good things usually happen. This time it didn’t. That’s football.

Don’t have a huge issue with the call but generally speaking the blitz yesterday wasn’t working.  They weren’t getting home and weren’t covering tight behind it.  In hindsight it likely wouldn’t have mattered bc they weren’t rushing to the proper depth in their non-blitz situations anyhow.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.