Second blitz at end of game

Snappysnackcakes

On 11/15/2023 at 5:51 PM, Simon said:

This is actually one of my problems with that 2nd blitz call.

Aside from the fact that you're telegraphing to a veteran QB that you're again leaving your corners out to dry, that entire series Oliver was pushing the pocket down after down after down and there was not a thing their OLine could do about it.

There was minimal upside to sending the house there again. There is no longer any element of surprise to create doubt or confusion, a veteran like Wilson is not going to take a sack there, none of our our DB's or LB's are particularly effective rushers, dropping that DE into coverage does nothing to improve it, etc. But there is a significant downside there where an unsuccessful blitz likely costs you the game in that spot, which it did. It was a foolish gamble with way more negative potential than positive.

All that needed to be done was to defend the sticks on 3rd down while the inevitable interior pressure forces Wilson into a too quick decision.

McDermott is a bit of a micromanager with an observable tendency to overcoach games and that was another example of it right there.

But here’s the thing.  In the past, when the Bills (especially under Frazier) made the safe “defend the sticks, keep it in front of you” choice on 3rd down, but then imperfect zone or tackling allowed the opponents offense to convert, there was a lot of second-guessing here about the “soft” approach, and calls for a more attacking defense that would send pressure 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

But here’s the thing.  In the past, when the Bills (especially under Frazier) made the safe “defend the sticks, keep it in front of you” choice on 3rd down

I think you’re arguing apples and oranges here.

Simon’s point is that McD went to the blitz well one too many times. There was no more element of surprise. Wilson, being a veteran QB, knew it was coming and had a plan for it, because we had just done it several times in a row.

Thats not the same thing as fans being critical of Frazier for dropping back and guarding the sticks, which is what he did in nearly every game-winning drive scenario.

What many fans wanted out of Frazier is tighter coverage (instead of playing 10 yards off) and a blitz every now and then. Not a blitz every down to end the game.

• Agree 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, Mikie2times said:

I know this is going to come as a shocker to you so you might want to stand up. A QB can get rid of the ball faster than a defense can arrive. It's sort of like science or something. 

And if the pressure gets there quickly that is usually a good outcome for the defense...sack or no sack. Weird, I know.  

• Agree 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, Mikie2times said:

I know this is going to come as a shocker to you so you might want to stand up. A QB can get rid of the ball faster than a defense can arrive. It's sort of like science or something. 

What is the point of this ?  Yes, we understand but putting pressure on the QB quicker forces rushed and often bad QB throws, be him sacked or not.

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

And if the pressure gets there quickly that is usually a good outcome for the defense...sack or no sack. Weird, I know.  

7 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What is the point of this ?  Yes, we understand but putting pressure on the QB quicker forces rushed and often bad QB throws, be him sacked or not.

If you're going to revive a thread, at least take the time to read the surrounding posts to what you're quoting.  

Edited by Mikie2times

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.