Brady Cook - Missouri

Hebert19

Not sure if he will enter draft this year or not but if he does he would be a day 2 or 3 pick I'd guess.  His traits would make him a good back up in this system.  Great instinctive runner.  Solid passer.   If we wanted to groom a young guy he could be a solid backup in NFL

16 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in burning a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a backup QB.

We can hunt for one in the 5th to 7th if a guy falls. If a player's best potential is "good backup" you don't waste premium picks on them.

Agree.  At this point the Bills want/need someone better than a rookie backup to Allen.  Likely they've done the past couple of seasons had an experienced vet there.  So the rookie would be the #3 QB likely cut and assigned to the PS and also likely someone another team would poach very quickly.  Maybe a 7th rounder who hasn't done a whole lot has a chance of sticking or a guy who's been around the block a few times and other teams have little interest in.

15 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Not sure if he will enter draft this year or not but if he does he would be a day 2 or 3 pick I'd guess.  His traits would make him a good back up in this system.  Great instinctive runner.  Solid passer.   If we wanted to groom a young guy he could be a solid backup in NFL

Day 3 pick? Sure. That's about the place the Bills should take a QB IMO. The key will be finding the guy that would fit the system and is good enough to invest in, but not good enough to get poached from the PS. 

As far as next year, Buffalo still should be carrying an experienced backup for a multitude of reasons.

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Day 3 pick? Sure. That's about the place the Bills should take a QB IMO. The key will be finding the guy that would fit the system and is good enough to invest in, but not good enough to get poached from the PS. 

As far as next year, Buffalo still should be carrying an experienced backup for a multitude of reasons.

This season has been crazy with all the injuries we have seen for QBs. I know backup QB isn’t a glamorous acquisition but I can think of 8 teams that could really use one right now.

1: Danny Dimes missed a few weeks. Giants are 2-6 and the season is all but over for them. Even with Tyrod as a backup they only did ok and then HE got hurt.

2. Justin Fields missed 2 weeks. Bears are 2-6 and relying on a rookie from a small school to kee them afloat. Given their upcoming picks if they stay the course it would likely be best if they punt on this season and gear up for next year.

3. Kirk Cousins is done for the year and the Vikings are unlikely to salvage their season now. They got Dobbs who is a good backup but had to trade for him and he now needs to learn a new system to get caught up. Jefferson also being hurt doesn’t help either.

4. Jimmy G looks to be sunsetting and their backup QB is rookie Aiden O’Connell. They have Hoyer as well but given their record and their front office chaos, the rook makes more sense to see what they have. The days of Jimmy G getting an obscene amount of money are nearly over, and he could transition to a serviceable backup once again. Season is toast but the coaching was a bigger culprit than anything. 

5. Jets got 4 snaps out of Rodgers before his Achilles snapped. Zack Wilson is playing once again and the Jets success has not been due to him (thank you defense). If they had someone like Dobbs I think they’d be very competitive, but they’ve been lucky to get by without their QB.

6. The Colts have probably the best backup in the league with Minshew. That being said they are in the middle of a 3-way suck fest (phrasing) with Houston and Tennessee and the division is all but assured for the Jags.

7. Speaking of Tennessee, they’re down 2 QBs and may have actually gotten lucky for it by getting Levis some meaningful snaps. That being said, they’re not winning anything right now and waste another year of Henry being their bellcow. 

8.The Browns are starting PJ Walker because DeSean Watson is “injured” and can’t possibly play football with all that guaranteed money weighing him down. The defense is carrying the team, but Watson has sucked and a decent backup might keep them in WC conversation at least. PJ hasn’t been bad honestly, but they traded Dobbs to AZ and likely regret that decision. 

On 11/4/2023 at 4:49 PM, Hebert19 said:

10 years before this conversation

On 11/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, Hebert19 said:

This is one of the deepest QB classes ever. He's fine, but there are a bunch of good candidates. Meanwhile, if you've been watching Missouri, you want to get their RB Cody Schrader. Incredible running instincts. Will be curious where the experts will slot him, but he's a stud.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.